Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2009, 04:23:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install Zune games on your player  (Read 53023 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »

Zune Games are now available..!!

Update Jun 2, 2008: Here's a link to a great set of instructions, with screenshots, from the always useful forum PreGameLobby: http://www.pregamelobby.com/forum/listening-lounge/13152-how-install-zune-games-apps.html

Update June 14, 2008: Here's a video walking through the installation steps:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aZDz4mEAZcQ

HOW TO INSTALL
    Thanks to Vipralion for the instructions.

Please realize that games are available through a community technical preview of XNA Game Studio 3.0.

I suggest waiting until later this year when the process is streamlined for non-technical users if you do not understand what you are doing after reading the instructions on how to do so.

However, if you absolutely must, the following are my instructions for installing games on your Zune device:

First make sure of the following:

A. You are using either Windows Vista 32-bit (x86) or Windows XP 32-bit (x86). x64 is not currently supported in this technical preview.

B. You have uninstalled any Windows Live Redistributables.

If you meet the above conditions then you can continue with these steps:

1. Install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition using the Web Install here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ (The green block)

2. After you have that installed the above in full, download and run XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DF4AF56A-58A7-474C-BFD0-7CF8ED3036A3&displaylang=en

3. Download the code for the game or application you'd like to deploy to your Zune device. Here's a working link to the list of Games and Applications that have been developed thus far for Zune: http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0

4. Next, plug in your Zune device via USB sync cable and close Zune software if it starts up.

5. Start up Visual C#. Under the Tools menu, select 'Add a new device' and choose the appropriate options for your Zune. Make sure your Zune displays XNA Connect on it after you do this to ensure it is connected properly.

6. Under the File menu choose 'Open Project' and then navigate to where you extracted the .zip files and open that up until you see a <filename>.sln file; this is the file you choose to open.

7. Under the Build menu, choose 'Deploy <app/game>' where <app/game> is the name of the game or application you downloaded in step 3. This will deploy the code to your Zune. Wait until Visual Studio reports success in the output window and your Zune goes back to displaying 'Connected'. At this point you may now disconnect your Zune and launch the game/application in the newly added 'games' option from your Zune menu below 'podcasts' and above 'settings'.

List of Games and Applications Thread Link:
http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:40:42 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

scoutflyer
zune master

lookin' ahead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »

ok ive done everything right so far, i got to the point where i downloaded the game, but you haven't provided any information on how to put the game on the zune?Huh?

"to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre
 Touch the Sky
 Road To State NHS-CC-07
 [Day of Reckoning 11/24/07]
scoutflyer
zune master

lookin' ahead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:31:34 PM »

uhrrhhm... i think i figured it out...

Touch the Sky
 Road To State NHS-CC-07
exmachina08
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:11:36 AM »

awesome I got all of them to work except the tetris on my zune 80

Xer0
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »

Will this work on the 30?
Xer0
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:57:23 AM »

uhrrhhm... i think i figured it out...

What did you do???
scoutflyer
zune master

lookin' ahead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »

I only tried two, alien aggressors and tetris. I could not get tetris to work. What you do, assuming you are passed having the zune linked and it should say on the zune screen 'waiting for computer' or whatever, you open up Visual Studio and go 'open project' then browse to your unzipped game, and open one of the files that has the extension.... I can't remember.. its like .aln or .l something, regardless, you do not have to go digging in the files, it is one of the surface ones. Load it into visual studio, and on one of the menu bars drops down after you select the ZUNE version on the right hand side, one of the menu bars says DEPLOY TO ZUNE, and you click that and it should try to deploy. Good luck, and let me know if it needs further explanation.

Touch the Sky
 Road To State NHS-CC-07
lenny
zune master

Who's Next

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »

the directions to load this suck. i gotta figure it out for myself now. here comes a wasted hour of my life.

-lenny
Darkblade
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »

Will this work on the 30?

Yes indeed.

Pretty much all of the current games are 30 compatible, however, in the future, there may be a few games that require the second gen touchpad. I think the vast majority of the future works to come, will also be Zune 30 compatible.

Gaurdian
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 05:33:32 AM »

with some games i try to deploy i get the error message "Error   1   The font family "Segoe UI" could not be found. Please ensure the requested font is installed, and is a TrueType or OpenType font.   C:\Documents and Settings\Wilma Kox\Mijn documenten\My Games\zune\ZBClockRelease\ZBClock\Content\Segoe UI.spritefont   ZBClockRunner
". I'm trying to fix this by looking for the segoe ttf file but i haven't had any luck so far... Could anyone please help me?
hassan_fro
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 06:56:50 AM »

Zune Games are now available..!! Tongue
Now times to make some games project! Grin

Thanks for news Cheesy
Kempatsu
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »

How come I cant view the page with the games on it? It says its not available or unavailable to me =(
derek320
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »

Does anyone know when this will be supported by Vista X64. Right now I can't get it to work with Vista Home Premium 64-bit and after looking around I found that its not supported by X64 Windows. Is there a way to get it to work in Vista X64, or when will it be supported by Vista X64? If no is the answer, I guess I'll have to install Windows XP or Vista 32-bit. Unless, is there a way to make it work with Ubuntu?
Vipralion
zune commando

Call Me When You're Sober

vipralion@hotmail.com Vipralion01
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 04:36:30 AM »

Please realize that games are available through a community technical preview of XNA Game Studio 3.0.

I suggest waiting until later this year when the process is streamlined for non-technical users if you do not understand what you are doing after reading the instructions on how to do so.

However, if you absolutely must, the following are my instructions for installing games on your Zune device:

First make sure of the following:
A. You are using either Windows Vista 32-bit (x86) or Windows XP 32-bit (x86). x64 is not currently supported in this technical preview.
B. You have uninstalled any Windows Live Redistributables.

If you meet the above conditions then you can continue with these steps:
1. Install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition using the Web Install here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ (The green block)

2. After you have that installed the above in full, download and run XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DF4AF56A-58A7-474C-BFD0-7CF8ED3036A3&displaylang=en

3. Download the code for the game or application you'd like to deploy to your Zune device. Here's a working link to the list of Games and Applications that have been developed thus far for Zune: http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0

4. Next, plug in your Zune device via USB sync cable and close Zune software if it starts up.

5. Start up Visual C#. Under the Tools menu, select 'Add a new device' and choose the appropriate options for your Zune. Make sure your Zune displays XNA Connect on it after you do this to ensure it is connected properly.

6. Under the File menu choose 'Open Project' and then navigate to where you extracted the .zip files and open that up until you see a <filename>.sln file; this is the file you choose to open.

7. Under the Build menu, choose 'Deploy <app/game>' where <app/game> is the name of the game or application you downloaded in step 3. This will deploy the code to your Zune. Wait until Visual Studio reports success in the output window and your Zune goes back to displaying 'Connected'. At this point you may now disconnect your Zune and launch the game/application in the newly added 'games' option from your Zune menu below 'podcasts' and above 'settings'.

List of Games and Applications Thread Link:
http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:51:45 AM by Vipralion » Logged

Zuneblack
zune master

SUPRA350LUPO
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »

it is not recognizing my zune when it is connected

http://www.youtube.com/itzlupo my youtube
zuneage
zune commando

View Profile WWW
Re: How to install Zune games on your player
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »

me 2
it is not recognizing my zune when it is connected

I should of known the children they called me....mr.glass.
kickenchicken
zune-ologist

yay me

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »

for it to work.
you have to add a device using XNA game studio thing.
disconect your zune.
connect it again.
and try to deploy the game to your zune again.
it seems that it needs to be disconnected then reconnected to load a game everytime.
BigKenW
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

Before modifying the Zune as described, does this cause anyone know if this causes problems with the Zune and Zune 2.5 software? Things like syncing and such going forward.
D4V3
zune master

Zune 30 Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »

Quote from: BigKenW on May 11, 2008, 07:18:23 PM
Before modifying the Zune as described, does this cause anyone know if this causes problems with the Zune and Zune 2.5 software? Things like syncing and such going forward.

works fine for me so far...

Winned so fars: Incipio Starter Kit for Z00n(10/30/07)
Darkblade
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

Make sure that the Zune software is off while you attempt to deploy something.

If the software is on, it'll give the not connected/detected error.

cable729
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »

awesome! il have to try that soon
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

...the following are my instructions for installing games on your Zune device:

Thank you, Vipralion... I have updated the OP with your instructions, which are clearer and better worded than what I had up there before.

alexown
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »

Can someone help me?
When im adding a new device and i choose zune and i choose my name in my zune the progress bar goes then this errors pops up
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Could not connect to 'Alex'.  Make sure the device is connected to the computer and not busy syncing content.
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.ZunePrimaryConnector.Connect(String hostId, Session session, Int32 millisecondTimeout, StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.HostConnection.OpenPrimaryConnection(StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.HostConnection.ConnectToHost(Int32 millisecondTimeout, StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)
Green45
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »

Quote from: alexown on May 24, 2008, 07:08:30 AM
Can someone help me?
When im adding a new device and i choose zune and i choose my name in my zune the progress bar goes then this errors pops up
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Could not connect to 'Alex'.  Make sure the device is connected to the computer and not busy syncing content.
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.ZunePrimaryConnector.Connect(String hostId, Session session, Int32 millisecondTimeout, StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.HostConnection.OpenPrimaryConnection(StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.HostConnection.ConnectToHost(Int32 millisecondTimeout, StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)

I get the same damn problem all the time too... anyone have any idea what to do?
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »

Quote from: alexown on May 24, 2008, 07:08:30 AM
Can someone help me?
Close the Zune software. Change USB ports and reset your Zune.

Black Zune 80 & Insignia Pilot 4GB + Zune Premium + AKG K26p + JVC HA-FX66 Blue -Air Cushion-. Zune 30 (sold)

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »

Updated OP with a link to a recent video walkthrough of how to install games for Zune.

bluejazz
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »

great stuff, this has been out for months now but i haven't got to this yet. But with this nifty little guide... sweeet.... i'll try this out later. Thanks poster. - way cool, now i can shut my cousin up, always saying "yeah that nice, but where's the game?" = lol
Ixtab
zune dog

Redneck 2.0

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 04:15:36 AM »

Sweet, I ran through the instructions/install last night and everything worked great. I did notice that some games loaded then reset the zune, while others i could load multiple games without a reset.

kyledouglas521
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »

Ok, I know this has been repeated to death but please just try not to get annoyed, haha.

I'm getting that

"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Could not connect to 'kyledouglas'.  Make sure the device is connected to the computer and not busy syncing content.
   at Microsoft.Xna.RemoteServices.HostConnection.ConnectToHost(Int32 millisecondTimeout, StringBuilder diagnosticBuilder)"

error. I've closed the zune software, and what i believe to be any process that is zune-related. My firmware is up to date. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

suggestions?

thanks in advance =]
makatiphil
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 10:20:22 AM »

HEY BUDDY.  i just got my zune 8gb from a friend who works from microsoft. i so glad to know that there are games available. i followed all the instructions to install games in zune but it always keeps getting error "Error   1   Could not copy 'v3.0' runtime to device 'Mark Dodong Death Squad'.      0   0   
.. it keeps saying deploy failed.

please help me zunerama members
newtech2008
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 02:31:25 AM »

online credit card processing upcoming bands
TylerHogan08
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »

downloading xna 3.0 ctp and i get this webpage: http://search.microsoft.com/Results.aspx?qsc0=0&q=downloads+details+aspx+FamilyID+df4af56a+58a7+474c+bfd0+7cf8ed3036a3+DisplayLang+en&PageType=99&SearchBtn0.x=6&SearchBtn0.y=9&mkt=en-US&FORM=QBME2&l=2 and i have heard you  have to search for it in other languages because when i try to build a game it comes up saying it was built by a previous version and 3.0 ctp wont download or i cant find the right place to get it... on a side note i'm also trying to get the game package found on zuneboards but my firfox cant get the page up!!!!! please help me out! any info/help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!!!!!!! i have a red 80gb btw
Scubit
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »

I was just curious...is putting games on the zune with the new 3.0 update the same as the old way only you download XNA 3.0 BETA instead of 3.0 CTP?

Squish8
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:37 AM »

I have the CPT BETA and I can't seem to find the "unload" button that they want me to click to edit the games for my zune 30. Can someone help me figure this out?
boychristmastree
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

why is the link for XNA Game Studio 3.0 not working anymore
CD-Rom
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 12:50:38 AM »

For those of you who have the problem connecting your Zune to XNA by getting this error message:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Could not connect to ''.  Make sure the device is connected to the computer and not busy syncing content.

I have the solution. You get this when you use XNA Game Studio 3.0 (CTP). You need to go to "control panel", go to "programs", uninstall "XNA Game Studio 3.0 (CTP), download XNA Game Studio 3.0 (not CTP, used to be called Beta) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7D70D6ED-1EDD-4852-9883-9A33C0AD8FEE&displaylang=en, install it, and try to connect again.
LoveHateMachine
zune dog

Stronger Than Death

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »

I know this topic may be getting old but i cant seem to find a solution to my problem anywhere...It could be right in form of my face. I followed the steps, at step 5 when i got to "Add new device" in Visual C# i get a message saying "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"... Please help. Embarrassed

Nini
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:40 AM »

PLEEEZ HELP ME Embarrassed
im doin fine untill i get to the part that says deploy and then the name of the game. when i click deploy it dosent work and some errors pop up i'll put them below

Warning 1 The project file 'Collapse-Windows.csproj' appears to have been created with XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP. For instructions on how to upgrade this project to work with the current version, copy and paste this link into your browser: Collapse-Windowshttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=1...

Warning 3 The referenced component 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework' could not be found.

Warning 4 The referenced component 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game' could not be found.

Warning 5 The referenced component 'mscorlib' could not be found.

Warning 6 The referenced component 'System' could not be found.

all that comes up and i dont know what to do. help me please. Embarrassed
Dwarf74
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »

Ive gotten to the point right after ive got through downloading everything(or at least im pretty sure i did it right)

when im trying to add my zune to the list or watever, it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

and  i cant connect my zune to Visual C# Sad

any1 know whats wrong?
dementeddoll
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »

mine says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" al;so. please help.
daveforman
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 02:50:24 AM »

Apparently all the games in the list were created some time ago with XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP. The current version is XNA Game Studio 3.0. There is a link that comes up when you try to deploy the game that tells you how to update it. It involves rewriting three lines of code. Unfortunately, the lines of code are not there. Has anyone figured out a workaround for this? Incidentally, one game has been re-written with 3.0, and is available on XNA, and that's Alien Game
muyoman
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »

ok, so  i have a 64 bit version of xp pro. i cant install the visual studio and thus the xna prob wont work. so based on what you said in your tutorial there is absolutely no way a person with 64 bit system can put games on their zune? if so that sucks really bad, ive heard of certain zune hacks oh dear god please let there be one for this! so i shut off firewall and anti-virus so they wouldnt interrupt visual studio install and it still didnt work, ive been messing around with it for over an hour now and it wont install, am i screwed, anybody know what i can do? Angry Angry Embarrassed Huh
thewebco
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »

can games be played on the Zune 30g unit?
Meat Hook
zune dog

skimaskway101@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

Quote from: thewebco on August 23, 2009, 07:19:33 PM
can games be played on the Zune 30g unit?
I'm sure if it has up to date firmware it could.

thewebco
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »

can i install games on my zune 30g device its a couple of years old?

Will the process to install games become easier?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List