Zunerama logo   
News: Find Zune accessories

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 30, 2009, 03:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 9 - Zune Marketplace  (Read 2296 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 9 - Zune Marketplace
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »

As the MVP global summit nears - it's April 14-17 - I'm going to start several threads to gather our community's thoughts on different aspects of Zune.

I want to accurately represent the members of this forum, and our collective (although often differing) needs/desires/opinions.

To help organize myself, I'll start different MVP Summit threads on discussion areas that I expect to be involved in with the Zune team.

Note: I will be under NDA at the MVP summit, so will have to respect that in terms of what I can report back!

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks all..!

This topic: Zune Marketplace

tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
Re: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 9 - Zune Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »

I would like to see some video options like tv shows etc...

Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

NO MICROSOFT POINTS!!!!!
They're stupid and annoying. 79 points for a song? Why not $.99 cents for a song? Make peoples lives a lot easier. In fact, get rid of them all together. I don't like xbox live for that very reason. 800 points? Oh let's see, 800 divided by 79, that's $10.12. Why not just say, 10 bucks?

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
D4V3
zune master

Zune 30 Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackie on March 30, 2008, 05:55:48 PM
NO MICROSOFT POINTS!!!!!
They're stupid and annoying. 79 points for a song? Why not $.99 cents for a song? Make peoples lives a lot easier. In fact, get rid of them all together. I don't like xbox live for that very reason. 800 points? Oh let's see, 800 divided by 79, that's $10.12. Why not just say, 10 bucks?

^because bill gates once had a dream that he would reinvent math. epic fail.

Winned so fars: Incipio Starter Kit for Z00n(10/30/07)
Kaiser
zune master

Does everyone!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

Some people still think that 79 points equals 79 cents Tongue

The thing I find strange is that the points are not bundled to equally reflect your purchases, so when you're done using up the bundle, you have an unusable remainder that you have to supplement by buying yet another bundle, or simply forget those few cents. People like to discount this, but frankly, I find it idiotic.
JohnCz
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

1. In the fall of 2006, J. Allard had given a presentation on the future of digital music.  During which he laid out his vision for a better digital Album experience, better graphics, liner notes...the things that got lost in the internet download experience.  What are you doing to improve the album experience going forward?

2. Can we expect to see higher resolution album graphics, optional photo downloads, liner notes, lyrics in the near future?  And if so, how will device UI change to improve navigation to/from related content?
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »

I think it really needs all the video content that is offered on the Xbox Live Marketplace including the game trailers, movie trailers, music videos, etc and also content that is not on XBLM.

Zune 30GB Brown "Chocolate Wonder"
iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
Creative Jukebox 3 20GB (my first DAP...sadly no longer with me)

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating earbuds
tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:56:20 PM »

How about the ability to customize your background. I am not a big fan of the options that are out there now.

thenumberdevil
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »

NO MICROSOFT POINTS!!!!!

I guess you don't use Airline Frequent Flyer Miles or Hotel Preferred Guest Points or Credit Card Reward Points or Car Rental Memberships Points ... I haven't heard many people complain about lack of understanding the math that this involves. They have different conversion rates between these that vary with the season, with the amount of points you have and the wind direction and they expire at a ever changing rate. I'm sure you have got mailers at home listing all the magazines you can buy with your soon to be expiring frequent flyer points ...

Get over it ...

Microsoft invented a system that works quite well. Charging you for small transactions increases the long-term cost for everyone and makes money only for the transaction processors. By managing your points across multiple properties internationally via a single Windows ID they have simplified things ...

The Points system is here to stay. Stop whining about it. This thread should be about how to improve the marketplace and not about the point system. The problem is not how they charge us ... but ... [I'll start it here]

a/ How to improve the Marketplace UI?
    - Downloading lists is very very slow. Here are a few examples:
         1- Select "songs" at the bottom left on the artist page for an artists with many
             albums. e.g. Louis Armstrong.
             -It takes forever to load the entire list.
             -After it loads try selecting the entire list and Right Clicking Download
               [a cool feature for Zune Pass owners] ... the Zune Software hangs or die
         2- Zune Pass owners can "restore all" their subscription content.
             -Before they can click that the entire list has to download
             -This does take forever -- even with a very fast internet connection
b/ What's missing in the Marketplace?
    -Already converted for Zune viewing would be good and many would pay for that!   
         1- Videos.
         2- TV Shows.
         3- Movies.
c/ What problems do Marketplace users have?
    -Filtering any list would be godsend
    -Advanced search would be fabulous
    -There are playlists and mixtapes. I want to seach those

[Just a start ... keep adding]

Kaiser
zune master

Does everyone!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Quote from: thenumberdevil on April 02, 2008, 07:44:01 AM
I guess you don't use Airline Frequent Flyer Miles or Hotel Preferred Guest Points or Credit Card Reward Points or Car Rental Memberships Points ... I haven't heard many people complain about lack of understanding the math that this involves. They have different conversion rates between these that vary with the season, with the amount of points you have and the wind direction and they expire at a ever changing rate. I'm sure you have got mailers at home listing all the magazines you can buy with your soon to be expiring frequent flyer points ...

These were all created by Satan's secretary to screw with us.
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

NO MICROSOFT POINTS!!!!!

No I don't. A lot of people don't. Ms points are perfect for those people, but not for the rest of America.
Get over it...

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
LunarFlame17
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree that the Microsoft Points system needs to go. Or at least make it more rational, so that 99 points equals 99 cents. The current system is ridiculous. I will never buy a single song from the Zune Marketplace as it stands. (Fortunately I have a Zune Pass, so I don't have to) Also video content would be good. I don't have any plans to make use of it (I have plenty of DVDs and Cucusoft's DVD to Zune Converter) but if the Zune Marketplace wants to be a legitimate competitor to iTunes, video is undoubtedly a must.

Here's a couple of suggestions I just remembered that I've posted on ZuneInsider before. One, there should be a way to flag artists, so that if new content for that artist is added, a little message will pop up the moment I open the Zune software letting me know. That would be spectacularly convenient, and its something I've hoped for ever since Microsoft announced that they were releasing a new version of the Zune software. Two. . . Ah I thought there was something else but I can't remember it now. Figures.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune rockstar

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »

One, there should be a way to flag artists, so that if new content for that artist is added, a little message will pop up the moment I open the Zune software letting me know. That would be spectacularly convenient, and its something I've hoped for ever since Microsoft announced that they were releasing a new version of the Zune software.

Love that idea.

WillysJeepMan
zune master

(aka sracer)

tcperconti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

NO MICROSOFT POINTS!!!!!
Microsoft invented a system that works quite well. Charging you for small transactions increases the long-term cost for everyone and makes money only for the transaction processors. By managing your points across multiple properties internationally via a single Windows ID they have simplified things ...
Nonsense.  That is just the marketing doublespeak answer that Microsoft served up but is not reality.  You really buy the notion that Microsoft implemented points to help us out?  LOL

Other companies have no problem with managing the costs associated with small transactions.  And since they are the 800 lb gorilla, they wield a lot of clout and could get favorable rates.

The reason for using points is three-fold.  First, is psychological.  A person is more likely to be free spending "points" than "dollars" because after all, they're just "points".   The 2nd is that from the moment that points are purchased until the time that points are spent, Microsoft is making interest money on the float. 

The 3rd is that by decoupling marketplace purchases from actual dollars, they can institute price increases without most people noticing simply by making each point more expensive. 

As the unofficial "official spokesman for downgrading to 1.x" I can heartily recommend upgrading to 2.5.
K-Bake
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »

please make the Zune Program faster!! It runs SO SLOW on our computer, which we just got barely over a year ago, and is so frustrating. This is the only thing drawing me back from enjoying my Zune to the fullest.

Also. maybe include a "classic" view to when the Zune just came out. I enjoy that version of Zune more than the latest update. (not the players update, but the computer's update)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List