Zunerama logo   
News: Register to join Zunerama forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 30, 2009, 03:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 7 - Zune podcasting  (Read 2305 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 7 - Zune podcasting
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:32:37 AM »

As the MVP global summit nears - it's April 14-17 - I'm going to start several threads to gather our community's thoughts on different aspects of Zune.

I want to accurately represent the members of this forum, and our collective (although often differing) needs/desires/opinions.

To help organize myself, I'll start different MVP Summit threads on discussion areas that I expect to be involved in with the Zune team.

Note: I will be under NDA at the MVP summit, so will have to respect that in terms of what I can report back!

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks all..!

This topic: Zune podcasting

roakleyhall
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
Re: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 7 - Zune podcasting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:56:28 AM »

I would love to see the following:
 - have a 'play all option on the podcast menu of the Zune
 - be able to add individual, or all podcasts in a category to the quick list
 - be able to delete individual podcasts on the Zune directly, that when synced get deleted from the Zune software collection

keep up the good work.  I check your blog frequently...

nismo_tuner
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »

if possible, add podcast codec (mp4 or h.264?) to zune 30 so it doesnt have to convert every one
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »

I would like to see better podcast recommendations - perhaps even having podcasts being an option that could be displayed on people's Zune cards. (Probably an opt-in feature... as some people probably wouldn't want their podcast subscriptions to be public info...)

rich3327
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on April 03, 2008, 11:34:56 AM
I would like to see better podcast recommendations - perhaps even having podcasts being an option that could be displayed on people's Zune cards. (Probably an opt-in feature... as some people probably wouldn't want their podcast subscriptions to be public info...)

I wouldn't mind this. I'm a proud Totally Rad Show viewer (along with Digg Reel, ESPN PTI, GeekBrief, PopSirens, Tekzilla, and Zune Arts... to name a few).

"I always laugh at my own jokes; that way there's always at least one person laughing!" - Me
mattfenn1
zune dog

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »

How about formatting podcasts so they do not need to be converted for Microsoft's own products. It defies logic that any media from the Marketplace  is incompatible with the player.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:01:38 AM by mattfenn1 » Logged

Laike
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

My thoughts are more from the position of a podcaster rather than the listener.

I would like to see more documentation for posting podcasts and getting your podcast onto Zune Marketplace. Although my podcast went up on Zune Marketplace with out issues (heck, I didn't even know it went up there!), some of the other podcasts in our company hasn't gone up, and we've sent a few emails to microsoft and had zero response. Also, we're still trying to make heads or tails of some of the kinks of how Zune is picking up the tags in RSS feeds and we still have no clue why our audio and video feeds aren't seperated in Marketplace even though they are two seperate feeds. So far our tech guys have been in the dark trying to figure it out. More documentation is needed!

+1 for the I'll stop kissing girls if Zune Marketplace stops suggesting the song club
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

Quote from: Laike on April 04, 2008, 03:26:50 PM

I would like to see more documentation for posting podcasts and getting your podcast onto Zune Marketplace. Although my podcast went up on Zune Marketplace with out issues (heck, I didn't even know it went up there!), some of the other podcasts in our company hasn't gone up, and we've sent a few emails to microsoft and had zero response. Also, we're still trying to make heads or tails of some of the kinks of how Zune is picking up the tags in RSS feeds and we still have no clue why our audio and video feeds aren't seperated in Marketplace even though they are two seperate feeds. So far our tech guys have been in the dark trying to figure it out. More documentation is needed!

That's good stuff, Laike - I will pass that on. Really important that Marketplace support the podcasters.

tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:02:40 PM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on April 03, 2008, 11:34:56 AM
I like that idea!

Laike
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:38:12 AM »

I'm going to be having another pow wow with my boss soon. I'll try to round up more specific gripes and issues about the posting and getting podcasts onto Zune Marketplace. But really the general lack of information and the mysteriousness of the whole system is a pain.

+1 for the I'll stop kissing girls if Zune Marketplace stops suggesting the song club
rebornempowered
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 04:15:44 AM »

Quote from: Laike on April 04, 2008, 03:26:50 PM

I have a resource that helped me get my podcasts on the Marketplace.

Listen to the Podcasting Underground podcast episode on the Zune (it was only a few weeks ago).  At the end of the podcast the dude getting interviewed gives you his email address.  He took care of my problems in less than 24 hours when I emailed him.

Hope that helps.

pittaman
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »

Password protected podcast subscription support! I have a podcast from work that is confidential, and requires a password to subscribe to the RSS... no I have to use outlook RSS to grab the feed and download manually cause Zune cant hang with the passwords...

And no... Im not installing iTunes.... iTunes sucks....
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »

Quote from: pittaman on April 06, 2008, 08:29:22 AM
Password protected podcast subscription support! I have a podcast from work that is confidential, and requires a password to subscribe to the RSS... no I have to use outlook RSS to grab the feed and download manually cause Zune cant hang with the passwords...

And no... Im not installing iTunes.... iTunes sucks....

That is a new one to me. I presume from your description that iTunes supports password-protected podcast subscriptions?

Evoorg
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »

I have been really frustrated with Zune Software's handling of Podcasts downloaded with 3rd party software (Juice, Doppler, et al). I've been listening to podcasts since before Zune, why should that be punished?

The problem comes from how the software treats Podcasts as some special format. They are MP3s! Even properly tagged the Zune Software does some cryptic metadata sorting that is hidden from the user. Making my collection of Podcasts a jumbled mess on the Zune Device.

Please ask them to either stop thinking they know better than we do on how to organize our Podcasts or at least document/open up the mechanism they are using to display and sort. So we can set it the way we want.

You make it you... right?
Laike
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »

Quote from: rebornempowered on April 06, 2008, 04:15:44 AM
I have a resource that helped me get my podcasts on the Marketplace.

Listen to the Podcasting Underground podcast episode on the Zune (it was only a few weeks ago).  At the end of the podcast the dude getting interviewed gives you his email address.  He took care of my problems in less than 24 hours when I emailed him.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I'll check that out. But the fact we still have to email some one to sort out problems is a little ridiculous in my opinion... Alot of this should be written down. Would probably save the guy alot of time too.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List