Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 30, 2009, 03:04:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 5 - Zune hardware  (Read 3389 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 5 - Zune hardware
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »

As the MVP global summit nears - it's April 14-17 - I'm going to start several threads to gather our community's thoughts on different aspects of Zune.

I want to accurately represent the members of this forum, and our collective (although often differing) needs/desires/opinions.

To help organize myself, I'll start different MVP Summit threads on discussion areas that I expect to be involved in with the Zune team.

Note: I will be under NDA at the MVP summit, so will have to respect that in terms of what I can report back!

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks all..!

This topic: Zune hardware (e.g. the Zune players)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:33:53 AM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Jander
Global Moderator
zune rockstar

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 5 - Zune hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »

Is it in the plans to allow deletion on the player itself?

Why isn't there paid repair service for problems outside the warranty? I cracked my screen on my 80 (LCD screen is fine, just a small crack in the glass screen itself) and when I called Support they told me there was no service in place to pay to repair, or a way to actually get my Zune repaired. Only third party repairs handle such things I've found. That kind of sucks.

Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »

I want a 80 Gig Zune with a 30 GB harddrive. AKA updated Zune 30...

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
Anon1mus
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »

I'd like to see EQ added to the Zune hardware. I really, really would.
rmonk64
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »

Normalizing filter, device-manageable playlists and deleting.

tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »

Quote from: Jander on March 29, 2008, 12:52:00 PM
Is it in the plans to allow deletion on the player itself?

Why isn't there paid repair service for problems outside the warranty? I cracked my screen on my 80 (LCD screen is fine, just a small crack in the glass screen itself) and when I called Support they told me there was no service in place to pay to repair, or a way to actually get my Zune repaired. Only third party repairs handle such things I've found. That kind of sucks.
I will put in a second for a deletion option on the device and some sort of support after the warranty.

Soundtweaker
zune commando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »

gapless playback

How do you end up with a million dollars in the record business?    Start with 2 million.
tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:51:26 PM »

Quote from: Soundtweaker on March 29, 2008, 11:45:49 PM
gapless playback
Good point! I forgot about that. I will second that suggestion as well.

kilroy79
zune-ologist

cowboy6845
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:05:57 AM »

I agree with all said above, gapless playback definatly. dark side of the moon doesn't seem the same without it..lol.
-better support for ebooks (both audio and text) sorry if I'm repeating myself from the software thread.

-better playlist options , ability to save/edit/delete playlists from the player itself.

- support for more media types (I.E. AVI,divx,) in the hardware. I know this isn't going to happen but I figured it's worth a mention. if microsoft knows everyone uses AVI anyways and most video going on Zunes was converted in some way or another, why not incorperate that into their firmware/software!

-we have wifi, so why no browser? It could work! and I don't see why it hasn't been mentioned yet. how cool would it be to check  e-mail on my zune! download a song from market without ever plugging it in! and we know microsoft would cash in on this, selling zune keyboards, ect maybe plugging into it? just a thought

thats all I can think of for now. if I come up with more, I'll post

Ricardo Dawkins
zune rockstar

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »

Give me more battery life.....
gapless...
full OTG playlist features
fine grain control on the volume levels (where is the 1-40 volume level shown on those pre-launch videos ?)
Enable the line-out from the dock/sync port.
Keep the Excellent sound quality coming from the headphones out.
Can we get the screen bigger with better resolution on the next generation ?

Black Zune 80 & Insignia Pilot 4GB + Zune Premium + AKG K26p + JVC HA-FX66 Blue -Air Cushion-. Zune 30 (sold)

jaxim
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:42:51 AM »

I think the options should STICK more while scrolling with the touch pad. It's too easy to go past an option you're aiming for, especially on the flash based Zune. Maybe you should be able to control how sensitive the scrolling is similar to how you can adjust your mouse settings on your computer.
Kaiser
zune master

Does everyone!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »

Quote from: jaxim on March 31, 2008, 09:42:51 AM
I think the options should STICK more while scrolling with the touch pad. It's too easy to go past an option you're aiming for, especially on the flash based Zune. Maybe you should be able to control how sensitive the scrolling is similar to how you can adjust your mouse settings on your computer.

I'm told that Creative Zens allow you to do this, so that you don't get too frustrated with the vertical scrolling pad, particularly on the solid-faced Zen Micro.

Quote from: kilroy79 on March 30, 2008, 02:05:57 AM
-we have wifi, so why no browser? It could work! and I don't see why it hasn't been mentioned yet. how cool would it be to check  e-mail on my zune! download a song from market without ever plugging it in! and we know microsoft would cash in on this, selling zune keyboards, ect maybe plugging into it? just a thought

Browsing the internet on a Zune sounds absolutely painful. Without a keyboard, or even a virtual keyboard to be operated via touch, there's only so much internet access can get you. A rudimentary WiFi store or perhaps internet radio can be implemented, but without the ability to properly input text without resorting to pecking an on-screen pad with the D-pad/Zunepad, it just sounds too cumbersome. Also, I'm pretty sure that a full web view is not in the cards for this kind of device. Mobile web variants sucks. 
JohnCz
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »

1. Did you originally intend to put a screen larger than 1.8" in the Zune 4/8 models?  If so, what happen?

2. Since Zune's debut the device has had FM radio.  Have there been any thoughts on using the FM radio to support some type of MSN Direct service?  For example, to get Sports Updates or receive Zune Social updates.  That would be an incredible Zune Pass value-add!

3. Is the Zune team working with Media Extender team in addition to XBox to find ways to create cross platform appeal for Zune?  For example, having Zune act as a Sideshow Remote Control.

JohnCz
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »

How successful have you been in building new partnerships? 

Why haven't we seen a Microphone accessory on the market as of yet?  For Zune's demographic, you'd think recording an audition or lecture would add alot of value.

Does the Zune team look down on giving Zune some utility applications or is it just a priority thing?
rich3327
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »

Not sure if this is a hardware or firmware issue, but it'd be nice to be able to tap on the pad to select something. I owned the zen vision m that had a touch pad that did this, so I constantly do it with my 80 (I'm an idiot, I know). Since there is a touch pad, why do I have to physically push the thing down to select?

"I always laugh at my own jokes; that way there's always at least one person laughing!" - Me
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List