Zunerama logo   
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 30, 2009, 03:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 4 - Zune Software  (Read 4543 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 4 - Zune Software
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »

As the MVP global summit nears - it's April 14-17 - I'm going to start several threads to gather our community's thoughts on different aspects of Zune.

I want to accurately represent the members of this forum, and our collective (although often differing) needs/desires/opinions.

To help organize myself, I'll start different MVP Summit threads on discussion areas that I expect to be involved in with the Zune team.

Note: I will be under NDA at the MVP summit, so will have to respect that in terms of what I can report back!

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks all..!

This topic: Zune PC Software

Jander
Global Moderator
zune rockstar

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Countdown to MVP Summit: Topic 4 - Zune Software
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Get the obvious out of the way.

Autoplaylists. When?
Will metatagging be changed to be able to save to the ID3 tags themselves, or be given the option to do so?
Will there be a way to easily view and edit genres solely? Right now you have to view your library in list view and view them all as one gigantic list categorized by genre. I want an easy way to just browse by genre itself and be able to easily play one single genre.
Would it be possible to provide an option to use the heart rating system or use the old star system? I personally prefer the most diverse rating system.
When will we be able to lookup and fix metadata online within the Zune software again? I have a few various album art that need fixing and I don't want to go google them all and paste them in.

WillysJeepMan
zune master

(aka sracer)

tcperconti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »

I strongly urge the Zune Team to allow the Zune to sync with other applications.  Zune, WMP, iTunes, Media Monkey, etc.   At least until a time when the Zune software is acceptable.

They can always hold back a "killer feature" for that time and make the firmware update that includes that feature be the one that locks the Zune back to the software.

As the unofficial "official spokesman for downgrading to 1.x" I can heartily recommend upgrading to 2.5.
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »

Take a nice feature from iTunes. Find album artwork. That would be awesome

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »

Dont know if this fits here, but what the heck...I couldn't find a MarketPlace slot to put it in.
What about VIDEO options from M/P? I would really like to be able to download TV shows and such.

kilroy79
zune-ologist

cowboy6845
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:55:12 AM »

Quote from: WillysJeepMan on March 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM
I strongly urge the Zune Team to allow the Zune to sync with other applications.  Zune, WMP, iTunes, Media Monkey, etc.   At least until a time when the Zune software is acceptable.

they can't/wont do this for obvious reasons. opening the zune up to other software means opening up the security measures microsoft has put in place to prevent the zune software/firmware from being hacked. I don't see this happening any time soon but thats just me.

on another note, I'd like to see support for E-books without the need to convert the pages to JPEG format.
support for audio e-books or at least a resume feature for audio not unlike what they have on video and podcast.adding the  ability to place bookmarks or save spaces in music/pictures would be nice ( I have a  lot of ebooks on my zune...lol)

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »

--drag and drop (album art, songs from one playlist to another, etc) -- it's been around for 10 years. why not in zune 2?

--fix metatagging issues

--allow for multiple metatag editing at once -- this one-by-one crap is ridiculous

basically, the software should be able to do what EVERY other leading media player software can do... and then some.  it shouldn't be scaring people away like me (who sold their zunes out of frustration with the software!)
WillysJeepMan
zune master

(aka sracer)

tcperconti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »

Quote from: kilroy79 on March 30, 2008, 01:55:12 AM
Quote from: WillysJeepMan on March 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM

they can't/wont do this for obvious reasons. opening the zune up to other software means opening up the security measures microsoft has put in place to prevent the zune software/firmware from being hacked.
Ummm.... no.   Locking down the communication protocol has nothing to do with the prevention of hacking the firmware.  It has everything to do with locking Zune owners into the Marketplace. 

People have already breached the communication protocol (hacks like zAlternator) that allow the Zune to sync with Media Monkey and WMP.  This hack does NOTHING to enable anyone to hack the firmware. It is still encrypted.

I don't see this happening any time soon but thats just me.
I agree, I don't EVER see that happening, but it is something to bring up.

on another note, I'd like to see support for E-books without the need to convert the pages to JPEG format.
support for audio e-books or at least a resume feature for audio not unlike what they have on video and podcast.adding the  ability to place bookmarks or save spaces in music/pictures would be nice ( I have a  lot of ebooks on my zune...lol)
I agree with those requests too, however it is painfully obvious that we will only see new features added if they support things that Microsoft will make available from the Marketplace.

As the unofficial "official spokesman for downgrading to 1.x" I can heartily recommend upgrading to 2.5.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »

Quote from: tbird on March 29, 2008, 11:48:19 PM
Dont know if this fits here, but what the heck...I couldn't find a MarketPlace slot to put it in.
What about VIDEO options from M/P? I would really like to be able to download TV shows and such.

It's a good point, I've added a thread for Marketplace comments.

Ricardo Dawkins
zune rockstar

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »

Allow the software to pre-transcode the TV recording done by Media Center so the shows are ready to sync on the Zune when needed. this is better than transcode while syncing.

Where is the option for adding / changing the metadata on videos and pictures ?

Can the software have a better and more interactive Now Playing screen ? Can I choose the albums from the pictures shown and change tracks..and so.

Black Zune 80 & Insignia Pilot 4GB + Zune Premium + AKG K26p + JVC HA-FX66 Blue -Air Cushion-. Zune 30 (sold)

4tech
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »

I would really like to see folders in video section. Right now I have ~150 movies, series and clips on my zune and it's very hard to find a video I'm looking for, especially series, cuz I never remember how the name starts (S..E.. or with a title...) Cheesy

If anybody needs a design for their Zune game, contact me...
Scarpad
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »

Quote from: Blackie on March 29, 2008, 02:51:32 PM
Take a nice feature from iTunes. Find album artwork. That would be awesome

And also let us Paste Artwork , right now it has to be a file on the disk.

And the real Obvious a complete overhau of how the SW handles Videos. With Tagging needed for Mp4 files to allow a folder structure or some type of way to organize be TV Series/Season/Episode Number.

http://social.zune.net/member/Scarpad
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »

Official Windows Media Player 11 support. 

Zune 30GB Brown "Chocolate Wonder"
iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
Creative Jukebox 3 20GB (my first DAP...sadly no longer with me)

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating earbuds
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 05:04:11 AM »

Quote from: AK Water on March 31, 2008, 01:34:35 PM
yes!!! 
Kaiser
zune master

Does everyone!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »

Quote from: AK Water on March 31, 2008, 01:34:35 PM

As another member has said, the likelihood of this ever happening is nil, unless they don't mind taking the burn and backpedaling away from their new software.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List