Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 26, 2013, 08:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Convert DVDs & video for Zune playback - with DVD Decrypter and Super  (Read 78734 times)
olion597
zune commando

plamotte@chartermi.net olion597
View Profile
How to: Convert DVDs & video for Zune playback - with DVD Decrypter and Super
« on: November 12, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »

Ok, many people have been asking this question, so this tutorial is going to teach you how to put your DVD's into a file that is readable by the Zune.  This tutorial is noob friendly, so just follow the steps exactly and you should be okay.  Feel free to ask questions if you need to.

Editor's note: an alternative to Super that creates Zune-compatible .wmv videos is Cucusoft - we have free trials and a picture tutorial available at http://www.zunerama.com/cucusoft-zune-tutorial.php

Overview

Ok, you're not required to read this, but if you want to know what's going on and what you'll be doing throughout the tutorial, read this.

Short version:
Taking your DVD and getting the data onto your computer, then putting it into a file format playable by your Zune.

Long version:
What we're doing in the Tutorial is we will be taking the data from the DVD's using DVD Decryptor, and putting it onto your Hard Drive in a format recognized by your computer.  The files (.vob) will be playable in certain programs, like Nero Showtime and VLC media player.  However, the Zune itself can only read files with an extension of .wmv .   The software that comes with the Zune will be able to transcode (change the file) into a .wmv file only if it is a .mp4 file or h.264 file.  So the next step is to take the data from your DVD that is now on your Hard Drive (in the .vob format), and use the program Super to change it into a .wmv file.

Step 1: Getting the Neccesary Programs

We'll be needing two programs for this, DVD Decrypter and Super, and both are free.  DVD Decrypter will get the data off your DVD's, and Super will take the data and put it into a Zune playable file.

Link for DVD Decrypter: Click here!
Link for Super (download at bottom of page): Click Here!

NOTE!: I am in no way affiliated with the makers of DVD Decrypter or Super.  The programs are their creation, not mine, I am simply providing a tutorial utilizing their programs.  So a lot of the credit from the tutorial should go to them for making such great programs.

Step 2: Getting Everything Ready

Now install both programs, i'm assuming you should know how to (if you do have a question, feel free to ask).  Don't worry about spyware, I've tested both downloads and have come across no spyware/adware in either download.

Ok, now pop in the DVD and close out any programs that might pop up to play it, then open DVD Decrypter.  It should look similar to this:

Now we're all set to do some DVD ripping, onto the next step...

Step 3: Ripping the DVD

Now that you have your DVD in your comp, and DVD Decrypter up and running, we have to get all that data onto the Hard Drive.

Ok, if you have more than one CD/DVD drive in your computer (if you have one, just skip this), you'll have to change the source to the appropriate drive.  The correct one should come up with a bunch of data on the right side of the screen like in my picture.

The first thing we'll do (or second if you had to change sources) is change the mode from File mode to IFO mode.  To do this go to "Mode" at the top of the screen, and choose IFO mode.  Easy huh?

After selecting IFO, the interface should look similar to this:

Now, make sure you follow this carefully, if you pick the wrong thing then you'll have to do this all over again.  On your right will be many different tracks you can choose from, these are different video files on the DVD.  If you have just one movie on it, then it will 99% of the time be the longest track (like [01:30:43] would be an hour and a half movie, so that would probably be the longest).  If you have a DVD with multiple movies/tracks on it though,  then you may want to try playing it in Windows Media Player to find which track it is (you can determine it by looking at length).  For me I want the second track on the Disc, so that is PGC 2.

Ok, now that you have your track selected, the final tweaks can be made.  Click on the little folder on the left side to choose where you want the file to go.  Make sure you remember where you are sending the file, otherwise it will be a scavenger hunt to get to it.

The final thing to do is to change a setting in DVD Decrypter.  Go to "Tools", then "Settings", then click on the "IFO Mode" tab.  There will be an option for "File Splitting", and the default should be 1 GB.  Change that to "None".  This way we will have one file to work with rather than many.

Now that everything has been done, all the hard stuff is over, just click the button (pictured below) to get it reading the DVD.

DVD Decrypter will begin to read it, and come up with a little screen similar to this:

Once it gets to 100%, CONGRATS!  You just successfully took the data from your DVD and made a backup on your Hard Drive!  Just press ok and all the hard stuff is done, and we're through with DVD Decrypter.

Step 4: Converting the Files

The next step is to convert the data you got from your DVD.

First, open up Super (it's a slow loading program, so don't worry if it doesn't come up right away), and open up Windows Explorer (by going to Start, then clicking on My Computer/My Documents).  Now, remember where you sent your files?  Head there, then go into the folder (mine is NextGen2), then into Video_TS.  In there should be 2 files, an .IFO file and a .VOB file.  Drag and drop the .VOB file (it will be the largest file) onto Super.  The file should appear in the job list like in the picture below.

First, choose "Zune" for the first box.  The rest of the boxes will fill in correctly, and it should look like this in the end.

For the Video and Audio options, many things will depend on your opinion of Quantity vs Quality.  First double click on your file in the job list, a window will come up with the details of your file.  We'll start with video first.

First is the Frame rate, this is determined by the frame rate of the original video.  Go to that little window I had you open up, and in there under Video should be the frame rate.  Mine is 29.97 so that is what i'll choose, yours will vary however.  The bit rate is next, DVD's often have really high bit rates, I recommend around 720, which happens to be the default it sets it at.  You won't really notice much of a difference on the Zune's small screen.  A higher bit rate will be a larger file, but it can end up making the video more clear.  720 has a bit of blockiness to it, but very little and it isn't that noticeable (it may have been the file I tested it on).

My setup (yours will vary):

Audio options is next.  In the window with all the information about your file, there should be something called "Sampling Rate".  Mine is 48 Khz, so I will choose 48,000 in my audio area.  You can choose anything, but lower than what it is will result in lower quality (lower file size as well though).  If you choose something higher than what it is in the original file, it will be a larger file, but there will be no increase in quality.  The same thing goes for the audio bitrate.  Most of the time you probably won't notice a difference between bitrates, so I would go with 160.

My setup (again, yours will vary):

Ok, the last thing to do is specify where you want the file to go.  Right click on your file in the job list, and choose "Specify the Ouput Folder Destination".  Then go to where you want it to be sent.  Click on the place you want it sent, then click "Save Changes" if that's where you want all future files to go.  If you don't, then each file after that will be sent into your program files folder (which is a hassle to get to if you have tons of programs like me).

Now everything is ready!  Just click "Encode" to start it up, depending on how much RAM you have, it may freeze up or start going quickly.  I noticed it often froze when I had many programs running in the background.  I have a feeling that this version is going to be eating up more memory than the last, which means that it's going to be harder for those with 512 mb of it.

After clicking encode, the first thing that should come up in the output area is the words "X Working on it X".  Don't worry if that stays there a while (meaning an hour or so).  This seems to be something new to Super, but I have yet to come across errors (will update if I do).

Super does take a while, 2 hours at the least.  It's something you want to leave going overnight, or while you're at school/work.

So, now that your file is converted to .wmv, you can put it on your Zune or do whatever you want with it.  You can also take care of the files from DVD decrypter, you can delete them or save them, but they take up a lot of space so I would recommend the former unless you want to do some more stuff with them.

Ok, this was my first ever Tutorial on anything, and i'll try to make them shorter in the future, this was an exact step by step though, so this will hopefully get rid of a lot of questions.

If anyone has any questions about this, notices something wrong with the Tutorial, or just has a comment, feel free to post and i'll try and help out.

Change Log

November 12, 2006: Added the note about DVD Decrypter and Super in Step 1

November 14, 2006: Changed file conversion info from .wmv to .mp4, it is now known that Zune software can't convert the .wmv files cause of .mp3 audio (really stupid that it can't convert).  My bet is in a month or so there will be Zune support.

November 16, 2006: Cleaned it up a bit, added pics to make up for the new .mp4 instructions, and made some things a little more clearer.

November 29, 2006: Added the notice about error messages and fixed two grammar mistakes.

January 4, 2006: Many many many changes!:
- New version of Super released, updated tutorial to make up for it.  I expect to make a few changes in the next few days/coming weeks, while bugs come up and things need to change
-Took out the error notice, I have yet to come across an error message in the new version
-Changed converson info from .mp4 to .wmv for Super
-Updated link for Super download to compensate for rearrangement of the www.erightsoft.com site
-Added new pics to compensate for the new version of Super
-Listened to Pink Floyd throughout the rewriting of this tutorial
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:23:22 PM by admin » Logged
jamescam
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
Re: How to Freely Put DVD's on Your Zune
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

Perhaps there is something wrong with my file but for the life of me I can't find the Frame Rate listed when I double click the VOB file in Super.  Any hints on what I may be doing wrong?
Balboa
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »

Amazing post. Great instructions. Thanks olion597 - can't wait to try this!!
olion597
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:23:53 PM »

Quote from: jamescam on November 15, 2006, 09:58:11 PM
Perhaps there is something wrong with my file but for the life of me I can't find the Frame Rate listed when I double click the VOB file in Super.  Any hints on what I may be doing wrong?

Hmm, well when you get that window after double clicking the file, you'll find it underneath the heading "Video#0".  It'll be right next to "FrameRate/String:".  If for some reason it's just not there, you'll have to guess at it.  Usually DVD's have a framrate of 29.97, so just guess that if you have to (if it's been ripped from a DVD).  The worst that will happen is that your video may lose some of it's fluidity, so it will be a little bit jumpy.
h3l3nWeelz
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »

Man, you just saved me a lot of time. Thanks! I've already transferred a couple of DVDs to my Zune. AMAZING!!
rerush
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:04:34 AM »

Great post. I've been using decrypter for the longest time, but I didn't know about Super.
Zuneologist
zune trooper

frenchgamer@hotmail.com malugod
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »

how long does all this take? (not including putting the final product onto the Zune)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »

I didn't time it, but I'd estimate the DVD DeCrypter took about 15 minutes to extract a 60-minute home video file, to create the .VOB file on my PC.

Super takes much longer to convert the .VOB to .MP4. It's something you want to kick off, and then check on periodically. I'm not sure but I'd guess 45 minutes or so for the 60-minute file.

This probably varies a lot depending on your PC. Mines a 3GHZ Dell Pentium 4, with 1GB RAM.

lenny
zune master

Who's Next

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »

olion597 is the best!!

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »

Yeah, that tutorial is superb.

olion597
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys!  Grin
aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »

very helpful

olion597
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 06:50:22 PM »

Well I have somewhat of a confirmation on Super having Zune support in the next build.  I had posted on the Super forums about it, and some other guy posted as well wondering how to get his video in a good setting for the Zune.  The moderator of the forums replied saying, "And here's the complete post of olion597.
He is surely right when saying 'I would guess that in a month or so Super will be Zune compatible'."

It's good that we get a confirmation about Super having Zune support later, but it makes me wonder how he found this post lol.  Then again, when you search olion597 in google you get over 700 results.
Scarpad
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on November 17, 2006, 10:42:03 PM
I didn't time it, but I'd estimate the DVD DeCrypter took about 15 minutes to extract a 60-minute home video file, to create the .VOB file on my PC.

Super takes much longer to convert the .VOB to .MP4. It's something you want to kick off, and then check on periodically. I'm not sure but I'd guess 45 minutes or so for the 60-minute file.

This probably varies a lot depending on your PC. Mines a 3GHZ Dell Pentium 4, with 1GB RAM.

If you are going to convert to .MP4 I'd use Mpeg4 and not AVC as the encoding takes much longer using AVC/H264. But still I'd seek a direct to .wmv solution first. I'd find a way to pay for WinAVI, it's the only program I use until there's a free solution. Problem is alot of these encoders like Super/Clone Mobile use Mencoder as a Back end, and I've been told by Slysoft the developer of Clonemobile that Mencoder can only do WMV Files with MP3 audio, It cannot do WMA Audio.

http://social.zune.net/member/Scarpad
HoldenCfld
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »

An error occurred sometime during the SUPER stage. It suggested putting on Direct show, or whatever.... I guess Ill try that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List