Zunerama logo Zune HD  
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 28, 2012, 06:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune 80 review  (Read 9423 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Zune 80 review
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:28:54 AM »

We've posted our review of the Zune 80GB player, giving our take on the new hard-drive player to be released to the world tomorrow. Check it out!

http://www.zunerama.com/zune-8-review.php

Dwain77
zune commando

White 30 replaced with a 120 GB.

View Profile
Re: Zune 80 review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:37:55 AM »

I have to admit, I want a new 80 a lot more now than I did.  The zunepad looks great. 

The Excelsior
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »

Yup... Me too going for the big screen 80 Smiley Yet to decide on the art to go on the back side...
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »

Yes, the Zune Pad is such a natural-feeling control for a player. I'm already finding that when I pick up my Zune 30, I instinctively start to flick it like the Zune Pad, til I realize which player I'm using. 

swanlee
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »

The review looks great but the lack of EQ is a deal breaker, I will upgrade my current Zune's Hard Drive and wait this year out. Maybe next year I'll get a new Zune but my zune30 with a bigger hard drive to hold more lossless music will for me be a much better audio player with EQ.
rich3327
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »

I didn't think I could want it more than I already did, but you did it. I've got the fever, and the only cure for it is a new Zune 80GB!

Quote from: swanlee on November 12, 2007, 09:05:45 AM
The review looks great but the lack of EQ is a deal breaker, I will upgrade my current Zune's Hard Drive and wait this year out. Maybe next year I'll get a new Zune but my zune30 with a bigger hard drive to hold more lossless music will for me be a much better audio player with EQ.

The EQ was only a battery waste for me, so I'm all in for the new Zune.

"I always laugh at my own jokes; that way there's always at least one person laughing!" - Me
Night Surfer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:07:06 AM »

The single most important feature to me is Sound Quality.

Can you comment on the Zune 80's SQ please?

Is there a difference? If so....what?
rodeo
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:29:16 AM »

wow, big let down about the removed functionality of Auto-Playlists, I was a heavy user of those, "never played" "recently added" "most played" "top 100". Not sure if I should update my 30G. Everything else seems perfect
Night Surfer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »

I have been out of the Zune loop I guess.
Since when does the Zune have auto playlists?
How do you get them?
Libb
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:46:34 AM »

Quote from: Night Surfer on November 12, 2007, 10:54:18 AM
I have been out of the Zune loop I guess.
Since when does the Zune have auto playlists?
How do you get them?

They're about to be removed, but...

If you right-click the Playlists heading in the Sources pane on the left side of the screen, there will be an option to Create Auto Playlist... . Click it and you can set up a good old Smart Playlist.

Essentially, all of my playlists (save those I DLed from the marketplace) are auto playlists, so there goes my nifty organization... Oh well, at least I won't have to worry about deleting my Podcasts auto playlist before I set up my Podcasts when I get the new firmware. (iTunes + Auto Playlist set to capture anything with the Genre of Podcast + ZMP set to auto-add anything in /iTunes Music/Podcasts = my makeshift Zune podcatcher.)
davedude
lil zuner

View Profile
EQ
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »

I have to say that I was most disappointed to find out the Zune 30 had not graphical EQ. Now I find the comment

"And, while some users clearly make extensive use of EQ, it is apparently not considered a "must-have" feature by many. The decision came down to an attempt to balance performance, quality and price"

This is incredibly disappointing. Maybe when I was younger I might have said something like, 'meh, I can do without it' but DANG IT! I have been working in noisy manufacturing environments for many years and need to be able to boost the frequencies I have lost sensitivity to to compensate.

Besides, balance performance, quality and price? Comon! An EQ does not imply hardware. It would have been software driven no? 

Sigh. I could do without SRS-WOW or bass boost or any of that stuff but the inability to be able to push up the mid-highs means I miss a good chunk of the music pleasure.

I guess we will see in a couple of days when it is delivered...
NorCalAngler
zune commando

It's Mii!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:28 PM »

I don't think it is a matter of "most people don't use the auto playlists."  I learned about auto playlists through these forums and now I use them every single day.  It is a feature that is not obvious in the software, but essential once you start using it.  I'm going to hold an auto playlist funeral tomorrow.  RIP useful feature that makes my listening experience more enjoyable.

rich3327
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »

I am clueless about the wireless syncing on the 80GB. Will it also sync your videos? And if so, will it convert them to the correct format before syncing?

"I always laugh at my own jokes; that way there's always at least one person laughing!" - Me
Heatwave316
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »

Awesome review!!!
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:40 PM »

Quote from: rich3327 on November 12, 2007, 01:03:51 PM
I am clueless about the wireless syncing on the 80GB. Will it also sync your videos? And if so, will it convert them to the correct format before syncing?

Yes, it will sync everything - music, podcasts, videos, pictures.

Zune software automatically transcodes videos to Zune-compatible format in the background. At time of sync, it will sync everything that is ready to go. If a video is still being transcoded, I believe that the video will show up in the "not added" list, and will be picked up by the first sync that occurs once it has been transcoded for your player.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List