Zunerama logo Zune HD  
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 31, 2011, 03:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official battery life stats. (come look Palmer :P)  (Read 6745 times)
ronaldmonster
zune master

View Profile
Official battery life stats. (come look Palmer :P)
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »

Ok, we've finished testing the battery life, and this is what we found:

Zune 4GB and Zune 8GB
    Audio: up to 24 hours
    Video: up to 4 hours

Zune 80
    Audio: up to 30 hours
    Video: up to 4 hours

We did all testing using pre-production hardware and software, with the wireless turned off. Audio was tested using 128kbps .wma tracks, and video was tested using 500kbps .wmv videos.

Got it strait from Zuneinsider.

Kaiser
Re: Official battery life stats. (come look Palmer :P)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

The flash is to be expected, but considering the size of the Z80's display, that's pretty decent.
segadc
zune master

<o>

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »

Ok the numbers are weird. Usually a flash player will have a longer battery for both music and video.  Low stats for the flash but i guess the battery is really small.

As for the Zune 80, I was guessing the audio would be up to 20, not 30 hours.  Nice. As for video, I figured it would be at or a little more then 4 hours with the bigger screen compared to the Zune 30.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:07:28 AM by segadc » Logged

Zune-Meister
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:11:23 AM »

Yeah, I was hoping for 5+ hours of video.  But seriously, who will watch it for more than 4 hours straight.  I'm OK with it, I guess.
Kaiser
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

Well, the long video playtimes also translate into longer playback time of audio after watching a movie, which is nice if you're taking a cab or subway home after a long trip.

When I take trips up to Montreal, I have 7+ hours to vegetate on the bus before hitting the city limits (with a brief stop at the border). Having as long a playtime of video as I can get is awesome when you can't sleep.
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »

great....Excellent for the Zune 80 and the punny Zune4/8. but I wonder how do you test video with WMA tracks...LOL

Quote from: Zune-Meister on October 15, 2007, 11:11:23 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for 5+ hours of video.  But seriously, who will watch it for more than 4 hours straight.  I'm OK with it, I guess.
the battery is pounded by HDD and the screen. contrary to the iTouch where just the screen is pounding the battery.

Quote from: Kaiser on October 15, 2007, 11:03:55 AM
The flash is to be expected, but considering the size of the Z80's display, that's pretty decent.
Decent....Huh if this is decent including fm tuner, wifi chips, and the 60%+ bigger screen...then iPod Classic 80GB is mediocre at best.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:57:24 AM by Ricardo Dawkins » Logged

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

Kaiser
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:55:08 AM »

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on October 15, 2007, 11:45:29 AM
Decent....Huh if this is decent including fm tuner, wifi chips, and the 60%+ bigger screen...then iPod Classic 80GB is mediocre at best.

iPod classic 80GB: 30 hours audio, 5 hours video

iPod classic 160GB: 40 hours audio, 7 hours video

And this is under identical conditions to what ronaldmonster has posted, that being no extra power draw from the radio and/or wifi chip. Mediocre? Not by a long shot.
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on October 15, 2007, 11:45:29 AM

The battery life specs DO NOT include FM tuner and wifi...

The audio playback is good. Still for a larger screen, I'd have expected longer video playback. Is the large screen for any reason other than easy viewing by senior citizens? I mean the font on the screen is gi-normous.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »

Quote from: Kaiser on October 15, 2007, 11:55:08 AM
iPod classic 80GB: 30 hours audio, 5 hours video

iPod classic 160GB: 40 hours audio, 7 hours video

And this is under identical conditions to what ronaldmonster has posted, that being no extra power draw from the radio and/or wifi chip. Mediocre? Not by a long shot.
LOL, expected. but the chips are still getting some power even at full sleep mode both chips are getting minimal power. For 30 hours both chip can take quite a bit from the battery.
* Ricardo Dawkins looks for the specs sheet on the Marvel WiFi chip...

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on October 15, 2007, 11:57:51 AM
The battery life specs DO NOT include FM tuner and wifi...

The audio playback is good. Still for a larger screen, I'd have expected longer video playback. Is the large screen for any reason other than easy viewing by senior citizens? I mean the font on the screen is gi-normous.
that is a new one....so now you will complain that the font is too big and drain to much on the battery. LOL

BTW, why dont you both go to Apple forums and complain that the Touch could have been a better iPod for video if they included a bigger HDD instead of using flash with that punny 22 hours battery life for audio... ?
You complains can be better read over there... Cheesy  Grin

man...ifanbase is so ridiculous...man..looks how Apple are ripping the bastids Wink but they still find fault on every DAP except those made by Apple....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:07:41 PM by Ricardo Dawkins » Logged

kickenchicken
zune-ologist

yay me

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:19 PM »

testing with my Zen Vision:M has revealed that you get LONGER battery life using Mp3's than WMA's. also .WMV is a cpu hog isnt it? if we use mp3 files and Mpeg-4 files, wouldnt you be able to get more out of it?
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »

what?  Did I read that right?  The Flash based player gets worse than the HDD-based player?  Both are very good but I see that the Flash player has no advantages other than size. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
Kaiser
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on October 15, 2007, 12:00:46 PM
LOL, expected. but the chips are still getting some power even at full sleep mode both chips are getting minimal power. For 30 hours both chip can take quite a bit from the battery.
* Ricardo Dawkins looks for the specs sheet on the Marvel WiFi chip...

I think at this point you'd have to actually have empirical data to conclude that the WiFi and radio chip actually consume power at a rate significant enough to affect the battery life while they are both turned off. Not sure where you're going with this, as the reports have already confirmed that fully operational units perform as advertised, and all other components that are missing on this, and deactivated on the other product are fairly insignificant in this test.

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on October 15, 2007, 12:03:10 PM
that is a new one....so now you will complain that the font is too big and drain to much on the battery. LOL

BTW, why dont you both go to Apple forums and complain that the Touch could have been a better iPod for video if they included a bigger HDD instead of using flash with that punny 22 hours battery life for audio... ?
You complains can be better read over there... Cheesy  Grin

man...ifanbase is so ridiculous...man..looks how Apple are ripping the bastids Wink but they still find fault on every DAP except those made by Apple....

How is 22 hours puny? My 80 gets around 20 of constant playback, and with occasional use as I use it during the week just for commute, I can go for most of the week without recharging. This conversation has officially gotten stupid.
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »

Anything over 20 hours is great.  My 3rd Gen iPod has a rated battery life of 8 hours and it get's about 5 to 6 hours today.  The Creative I had before that was rated at 14 hours but you could buy another battery and have two in the unit at a time for a max battery life of 22 hours.  This particular Creative had user replaceable batteries too and could be taken in and out with ease, and like I said it had two battery slots.

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
NorCalAngler
zune commando

It's Mii!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »

These battery life figures are the only thing that would make me ditch my Zune 30 for a Zune 80.  I've been slightly disappointed by the 30's battery life without WiFi on.  I don't really need the extra hdd space and I prefer the finish on current gen, but I could use almost double the battery life, especially since I'll be using WiFi more for the sync.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List