Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 29, 2011, 12:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Day the Music Industry Died  (Read 5313 times)
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
The Day the Music Industry Died
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

One of the best articles I've read on the state of the music industry. Well written, highly informative, with added anecdotes. A bit long, but all good.

A couple quotes:

Referring to Radiohead's recent decision to offer free legal downloads for their latest album In Rainbows:

What looks like commercial suicide is, in today’s reality, sound business sense. Records, CDs or downloads now have all become downgraded to the status of promotional tools – useful to sell concert tickets and fan paraphernalia. While there is still good money to be made in music, and particularly on the concert circuit, the record business – blame it on piracy, too many CD giveaways or the advent of the recordable CD – is a busted flush.

This upending of the music business was neatly predicted back in the 1990s by the guitarist of the American hardcore band Anthrax who described their new album as “the menu; our concert is the meal”. This comment recalled the Beatles’ producer George Martin’s observation about his protégés’ first LP, Please Please Me from 1963. It was, Martin said, “just a memento of a concert”.

The reprioritisation in recent years of live music over the recorded variety has been dramatic. Attendance at arena shows rose here by 11% last year.

LINK!

Vasquez CP1
zune master

It's a Mii

View Profile
Re: The Day the Music Industry Died
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:11:47 PM »

I read it. Some interesting tidbits there. I don't really know what the writer's point was. Albums are never going to be "free."

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

http://social.zune.net/member/vasquezcp1

Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »

Thought provoking stuff. While I agree that record companies, as they are, seem to be dying, I'm not, nor will I be, in favor of concerts over albums. Concerts and live music are fun and all, but, in my mind, the true appreciation of the music comes from hearing its intricacies, accurately and in the best possible environment.

Thanks for posting it, Jander.

Visit my portfolio.
thenumberdevil
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

Quote from: Trastan on October 07, 2007, 02:19:02 PM
While I agree that record companies, as they are, seem to be dying, I'm not, nor will I be, in favor of concerts over albums. Concerts and live music are fun and all, but, in my mind, the true appreciation of the music comes from hearing its intricacies, accurately and in the best possible environment.

Concerts are a different beast and not for everyone. Especially true as prices have gone through the roof. It's also so hard to get decent tickets. Online and phone sales seem to be rigged and all good seats are gone within minutes ... the scammers seem to always get tickets.

Concerts and live shows provide you with memories (both good and bad) that last for a long time. I think there always will be Albums and Concerts. There is market for both.

JIGGY24
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »

i
Quote from: Vasquez CP1 on October 07, 2007, 02:11:47 PM
I read it. Some interesting tidbits there. I don't really know what the writer's point was. Albums are never going to be "free."

i agree, albums are never going to free.
bruiserrules67
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »

I don't think music will ever be free, but my Zune Pass has been a life saver. I used to buy at least 10 CD's a month - marriage and children kinda curbed that vice - but I haven't purchased a CD in well over a year. Prior to buying a Zune and a Zune Pass, my wife and I had a subscription to Napster and we were able to listen to streaming audio whenever we wanted.

As for concerts, I gave up on arena shows years ago. I'm going to see The Donnas next week in Houston for $14 - not a bad price for a club show.
SilentBliss
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:31:39 AM »

Wonk wonk wonk....

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cop-out/radiohead-selling-in-rainbows-on-cd-via-one-of-the-big-four-in-january-309948.php
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »

It's a great idea, and I went to http://www.radiohead.com today to check it out.

I applaud their boldness at letting users name their price - - but I wish they'd executed their shopping cart better! It's cumbersome.

It doesn't allow PayPal. Requires you to name your price in British pounds, with only a link to an external currency converter. And worse, requires you to go through a registration process with their payment provider, Xurbia. (Do they really need to know my cell phone number?) Then at checkout it added a 45 pence surcharge (about 90 cents) for the use of credit/debit cards. (Not sure if that's a flat rate or a percentage: in my case was a 45 pence surcharge on a 5-pound payment (about $10 US).

And, no opt-out when it comes to getting on their mailing list. If you bother to navigate to the terms and conditions page, you'll read: "By registering with the shop, w.a.s.t.e. products may use your e-mail address to send you Radiohead news, updates, ticket info etc."

Still, it sounds like none of the above deterred the 1.2 million downloads of it in the first day.

After registration, you get a download link which downloads a 48.4MB zip file. That file contains 10 unprotected MP3s. As far as I can tell, they are "clean" MP3s - no protections or owner identifications in them.

I hope they reveal what the average payment was for those downloads. Good luck to Radiohead on this experiment!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:16:05 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »

Thanks for the info, Harvey. Would you mind telling us what the bitrate is on those MP3s? That filesize is a bit small... I'm worried that they'll be less than stellar quality. Also, are they constant or variable bit rate?

Thanks! Smiley

Visit my portfolio.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »

160Kbps, looks like constant bit rate.

Kaiser
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 08:40:03 PM »

I'll wait for the CD.
korneel
zune commando

nu_ikke@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »

On 1 October, the day that Radiohead announced their new album. There was in Belgium also an announcement. 'De Morgen' (a Belgian paper, litterly: The Morning') announced on that day, that they will give on 17 October a free album of Sarah Bettens 'Shine'. It was like the Prince-The Daily Mail stunt in England.
That gives 1 October a bigger meaning as 'The Day that the Music Industry Died'. Grin

mszune.nl - forum mod & blog poster
Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 03:04:01 AM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on October 13, 2007, 08:21:43 PM
160Kbps, looks like constant bit rate.

Ahh, disappointing. C'mon, Radiohead! If you're going to be free of DRM and restrictions by corporations, at least give your customers high-bitrate files.

This whole situation is starting to seem pretty disappointing.  Sad

Visit my portfolio.
Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »

Interesting article.
Lived in Britain for some years, and CD's have been vastly overpriced in that country for years(like almost everything else), so it's not surprising CD sales are falling fast.
As for the rest of the article, he has some valid points, but there is no way concerts or sales of T-shirts  and whatnots for that matter, are gong to somehow make up for declining CD sales. Not to mention, concerts take a huge toll on the atrists and performers (even after all the drugs they keep taking to help them cope with the stress). It's not something they can be doing all the time just to raise revenue to replace the loss of income from CD sales.

As others have pointed out, concerts are fine in their own way, but they are not for everyone, and these days the tickets are overpriced, and a lot of the time, the entire experience is not the most pleasant of experiences, to put it mildly. Listening to music in my own home will always be the best way to enjoy and appreciate music. Music industry is in a state of flux, and I am sure they will eventually  figure out new ways of doing business, after the usual wrong turns. It's kinda like the newspaper bussines rght now, which is also losing circulation hand over fist to the internet blogs etc.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 01:38:05 PM by Smithy » Logged
Kaiser
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »

No way would Radiohead only offer 160kbps files for this album. There's a CD coming, and possibly a DRM-free album on Amazon (provided this lasts long enough).
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List