Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2007, 05:33:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes  (Read 770 times)
darkzero63
zune trooper

View Profile
Re: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Trastan on October 07, 2007, 12:15:05 PM
Agreed! The Zune Pass is a fantastic, and arguably best-of-its-class service. Some points on why:

- All tracks encoded at 2-pass 192KBPS CBR. Nice, respectable quality tracks, and a good deal better quality than the 128KBPS standard for other services.

- Built into the Zune interface and ecosystem. The fact that it's a closed system like iTunes brings a host of advantages, including the upcoming Zune Social page. Utilizing the full package this November is going to be, I expect, nothing short of fantastic. The freedom to download anything, share your listening preferences with friends and family on the Zune Social website, and have them download the same music, all at no cost and in a single closed environment, is really nothing short of revolutionary. True, all of these services have already existed, but Microsoft and its Zune are the first time they've all been brought together into a single service, with each aspect at its very best.

- Has (to my understanding) the second-largest collection of songs, from all major labels, losing only to iTunes.

- It's backed up by a company that you know is neither going under anytime soon, nor will leave the DAP market. Microsoft is in this for the long haul.

Thats ONE thing that Microsoft has going for in its favor- LOTS AND LOTS of money!
Scarpad
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »

I cancelled my XM 4 months ago, but they sent me A deal to get a year for $77 so I reuped my MyFi, mybe when that runs out I'll Zunepass.
lenny
zune trooper

Plutonians are teh suck

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 05:35:52 PM »

i used to have a zune pass, i had one for 6 months, (i had to buy it at a store, cuz i aint gots no credits cards!!) but for some reason, i didnt like it. after i gots rids of it and started buyings my musics and i was happiers. i dont get music that often, and 45$ every three months seems huge when you dont have a job (LIKE ME!! HAHA). i like to buy cds at the store now, and when i cant find the cd, like lets say for example, Dethkloks' new Dethalbum the Deluxe Edition i would want to download it to listen to it till i get it. mostly cuz im VERY impatient.  but then i feel like i paid for it twice.. but i kinda miss having it when i think about it and hear you guys rant about it.

-lenny
Cooper
zune-ologist

Let's Motor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »

I had to end my ZUNE PASS subscription yesterday.  A very sad moment, so...so far I haven't synced my Zune yet. And I'm just charging it on a computer that doesnt have the Zune Software.  I think I read that the Zune Pass songs will time out in a months time without syncing, but o well.
It was very fun and I recomend it to anyone.

Good thing I dont have the new zune, er it would sync wirelessly/automatically, thereby ending the precious zune pass songs i downloaded.

So we'll see how long I can go (legally, and personally) without actually syncing my zune.

MJIII
darkzero63
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 06:32:08 PM »

Your songs will go poof on your next billing cycle date....
darkzero63
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

Quote from: lenny on October 08, 2007, 05:35:52 PM
i used to have a zune pass, i had one for 6 months, (i had to buy it at a store, cuz i aint gots no credits cards!!) but for some reason, i didnt like it. after i gots rids of it and started buyings my musics and i was happiers. i dont get music that often, and 45$ every three months seems huge when you dont have a job (LIKE ME!! HAHA). i like to buy cds at the store now, and when i cant find the cd, like lets say for example, Dethkloks' new Dethalbum the Deluxe Edition i would want to download it to listen to it till i get it. mostly cuz im VERY impatient.  but then i feel like i paid for it twice.. but i kinda miss having it when i think about it and hear you guys rant about it.

The Zune pass is the whole raison d'etre of the zune ecosystem in my opinion. Unlimited songs for a flat monthly fee. Just think of how much money you save in the LONG run not having to buy a CD just for one or two songs that are good.
Trastan
zune commando

Find me on XBox Live!

animasaki@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 02:40:13 AM »

This probably deserves a new thread, but I'll post it here first, and see if enough people read it. This is what David Caulton of Zunester said about how subscription services can work for them even if they don't make money directly:

"Some folks have asked me about what the future of subscriptions might be (as opposed to simply listing the challenges).  This is a great point.

There are several situations where subscription music can work well.

* First, music subscription can support another business.  My comments have referred to standalone music subscriptions. Music subscriptions are a huge opportunity for Zune and love using Zune Pass.  What's more, Zune Pass works economically for us because it's a differentiator that makes our devices more attractive.  Other examples would include Amazon or Walmart using it to drive shopping traffic.
    * Second, the end to end issues can get better.  Zune is solving this with an integrated/end to end device to client to service offering.  This means the experience can be better, plus is means that consumers get a simple message - "Get Zune" - instead of the complex combination of service from vendor A, device from vendor B, and client from vendor C.

Fundamentally, I strongly believe there are millions of music lovers who want the value that a well executed subscription service provides - and will prefer to buy devices that offer the option."

OutOfMemory
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:05:05 AM »

The Zune pass works wonderfully for me and my wife.  We both have it on our own computers so we can each have our own playlists.  The cost is definately worth it if you have someone to share it with.
bigbill25
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »

- All tracks encoded at 2-pass 192KBPS CBR. Nice, respectable quality tracks, and a good deal better quality than the 128KBPS standard for other services.
That sounds fine for the downloaded content, but what are the specs for the content that is streamed? If I would use Zune Pass as a "home jukebox", I would need to be decent quality...

FYI: Woot finally suckered me into the Zune world with those $99 Zunes...

--Bill
Fraxture
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 08:53:10 AM »

I have Zune pass on 2 pcs.
But I can have it on 2 ZUNES!!!!  Shocked
Well then that makes it all the better when I give my wife my old Zune come this holiday season. Cheesy

Plus I am ADD/HD, so I find myself going to new songs like a male rabbit in a pen of females.

So I love the Zune Pass, hell my Ipod has songs on it still that I don't care to listen to anymore, and I paid hundreds of dollars for those.

So if I can live with that, I can live with Zune Pass.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:58:14 AM by Fraxture » Logged

"Well isn't this place a geographic oddity, 2 weeks from everywhere!"
thenumberdevil
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 09:00:19 AM »

Quote from: bigbill25 on October 09, 2007, 08:49:38 AM
That sounds fine for the downloaded content, but what are the specs for the content that is streamed? If I would use Zune Pass as a "home jukebox", I would need to be decent quality...

It's the same quality!
telekinetyk
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 10:51:35 AM »

Have you ever found yourself paying to download a song or album with only having heard a 30 sec clip of it, and when you get the whole thing, you really don't like it as much as you thought you would? Money gone.

Zune Pass lets you listen/download the whole thing, listen as long as you like. If its something you care about actually owning (in case of previously-mentioned scenarios where subscription dies, or you want to burn it to disc) then you can still purchase it on ZMP.

My Zune is FULL! My Computer has enough tracks to fill my player twice! All thanks to Zune Pass. I've discovered SO MUCH more music that I like because I can listen to full albums, download them and really listen to them, over and over, and then I know if I really like it enough to own it.

If you haven't really tried Zune Pass (beyond the 14-day trial) then you have no idea how awesome it is that Zune dares to offer this kind of experience.

Black Zune 30GB, "Kinetyk"
Ricardo Dawkins
zune master

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »

Quote from: telekinetyk on October 09, 2007, 10:51:35 AM
Zune Pass lets you listen/download the whole thing, listen as long as you like. If its something you care about actually owning (in case of previously-mentioned scenarios where subscription dies, or you want to burn it to disc) then you can still purchase it on ZMP.
Zune 80 just called you ...

Kaiser
zune master

Dance Infinitum!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

I've been curious about the Zune Pass, but am reluctant because I've read that not everything is available to download. Having just a few songs refuse to download because of that would sour the deal enough for me to cancel it altogether, so I stayed away. Even without a Zune, having the music to play with on the computer like a customizable XM radio is appealing, but there's that one nagging detail that I couldn't ignore.

"So, Scientology, you win THIS round, but the million-year battle for the Earth has just begun!" - Trey Parker & Matt Stone
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »

Quote from: Kaiser on October 09, 2007, 11:25:43 AM
I've been curious about the Zune Pass, but am reluctant because I've read that not everything is available to download. Having just a few songs refuse to download because of that would sour the deal enough for me to cancel it altogether, so I stayed away. Even without a Zune, having the music to play with on the computer like a customizable XM radio is appealing, but there's that one nagging detail that I couldn't ignore.

It is a consideration... although I've rarely run into it. One notable exception (for me) is the Eagles... available for individual purchase, but not through Zune Pass. What gives?

But honestly, Kaiser... I doubt you'd run into it much. When I want something that isn't available through Zune Pass, I buy it, but it's so rare and even when it does arise, I'm figuring I'm still way ahead of the game in terms of Zune Pass value.

I will not relent until Kaiser signs up for Zune Pass.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans