Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 28, 2011, 02:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes  (Read 9478 times)
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »

I wasn't aware of this till recently when a question was posed to me and I had to dig it up.  So in the spirit of the acronym FYI, here's some useful info that makes a Zune Pass all the more valuable:

If you pay $14.95 for unlimited music from the Zune Marketplace, you can play that music on three authorized computers and up to two Zune devices. It's something the Microsoft Zune marketing team might want to start highlighting, I had no idea until I found someone who actually read the license agreement with the above info. My incorrect assumption was that my Zune Pass was good for a single computer only, but my $14.95 a month gets me unlimited tunes on up to three PCs.  The way I see it: my subscription price just dropped to $5 per PC for all the music I can listen to.

So not only can you share unlimited music between two Zunes on the go, but you can download and listen/stream unlimited music to up to 3 computers.  I've found that not only does the Zune Pass allow me to download stuff I want to sync with my Zune, but I often look up an artist on Marketplace and listen to a whole album to see if I want to download it.  Or if I just want to listen to something I don't have, but would like to listen to, and don't want to bother downloading, like all those crazy playlists on MP, I just stream it and enjoy. So the Zune Pass enables full on streaming of the Marketplace which is about to increase another million tracks. So a family/roommates could totally mooch off one Zune Pass and have access to millions of tracks to either play at will or if they own Zunes, sync at will.  That's a phenomenal value for 15 bucks folks.

Harv, you knew about this right? How bout we get this on the front page for the oblivious to compliment the Zune marketing team's um, lack in incentive. Wink

ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
Re: Important tidbit for those who own Zune Passes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

Jander I have know about this for some time now.  I have the MP downloaded on my home cpu and my laptop.  I was also able to basically sell two zunes to my buddy at work because of the two zunes sync.  He and his wife both have one and they share the Pass.  As I have said many times before the Zune Pass is the most important feature of the Zune.  If you want to listen to all sorts of music then a Zune and a Pass are the only way to go. 

If you don't have the Pass then you are not using your Zune to its full capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 01:21:40 PM by ballbagcheese » Logged

JIGGY24
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »

Quote from: ballbagcheese on October 07, 2007, 12:40:21 PM
If you don't have the Pass then you are not using your Zune to it's full capabilities.

I dont have the zune pass. But I think I really like what i'm seeing for the furute of the zune pass and MP. SO many key points, that i'm just going to touch on the things i can see in the Furture of the Zune and capabilties.

1. Hope that the new zune MP is clean and simple interface

2. Having why wi-fi and syncing dvd quality movies, tv shows, music videos,movies,etc  automatically.
----would be nice to have the new tv shows you like, music, etc all automacilly downloaded and scyc to your zune. For expample you will turn your zune on and be like wow i didnt know this new music videos was out, or this new Rock Album was out. With the Zune card and Wifi this is all possible and more. I know me i would like to have certain stuff automatic sync to my zune when ever the music, tv, show, etc, is available, so when i do use my zune it will have new things i want to see Smiley

There is more i can thing of about how zune MP will change how we interact with music, music vidoes, etc. So i'm definetly going to check out the Zune pass in the furture Smiley
Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

Agreed! The Zune Pass is a fantastic, and arguably best-of-its-class service. Some points on why:

- All tracks encoded at 2-pass 192KBPS CBR. Nice, respectable quality tracks, and a good deal better quality than the 128KBPS standard for other services.

- Built into the Zune interface and ecosystem. The fact that it's a closed system like iTunes brings a host of advantages, including the upcoming Zune Social page. Utilizing the full package this November is going to be, I expect, nothing short of fantastic. The freedom to download anything, share your listening preferences with friends and family on the Zune Social website, and have them download the same music, all at no cost and in a single closed environment, is really nothing short of revolutionary. True, all of these services have already existed, but Microsoft and its Zune are the first time they've all been brought together into a single service, with each aspect at its very best.

- Has (to my understanding) the second-largest collection of songs, from all major labels, losing only to iTunes.

- It's backed up by a company that you know is neither going under anytime soon, nor will leave the DAP market. Microsoft is in this for the long haul.

Visit my portfolio.
Vasquez CP1
zune master

It's a Mii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:38:14 PM »

Man, you guys are making me want to subscribe to Zune Pass...

What to do.....  Undecided

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

http://social.zune.net/member/vasquezcp1

thenumberdevil
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »

Quote from: Vasquez CP1 on October 07, 2007, 01:38:14 PM
Man, you guys are making me want to subscribe to Zune Pass...

What to do.....  Undecided

If you are cheap ... find someone to share the cost with! Remember ... 3 computers and 2 devices!

oregirl123
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

Yeah, I like that Zune pass. I have downloaded songs from ZMP to my Zune, laptop and sync some to my window mobile cellphone. I hope we will be able to see the song lyrics with the new Zune/upgrades.

Go Zune :-)
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »

The number one reason I won't subscribe to any subscription...

From David Caulton, Microsoft employee, Zune team member:

This has been the summer of long knives for subscriptions. Virgin, AOL, URGE, and now Yahoo! are all leaving the business. Napster is burning cash and will run out sometime in the next 24 months. Rhapsody appears to me to be spinning off of Real into a separate entity, perhaps to clear the books to Real can be all about technology and games.

The challenge right now is it's impossible to be profitable below (or frankly even at) $15. So prices under that point can't be part of the discussion.

So if almost every subscription service is going under, no one is making any money, the price can't be lowered without going broke and it's impossible for the subscription provider to be profitable below (or frankly even at) $15...

What if I pay for a subscription for 3 years and then the last of the subscription services finally go broke? I cant just pay $15 and start getting it all back. There is nothing. I have nothing.

There is not one profitable subscription service, NOT ONE. When they're all gone where does that leave me?

Even Microsoft has to answer to shareholders... They can't flush money down subscription forever. Granted they can get away with losing money longer than anyone, but if it doesn't turn around in a few years - they'll have to shut it down too. They've already shut down one music store without much regard for their patrons.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 03:08:58 PM »

Damn $15 a month is a good deal, but I hate monthly fee's.  Just can't stand them.  I like the pay straight up cash method.  I never buy anything unless I can pay for it all in cash at one time.

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »

@Jander: You're right, I'd gotten used to that feature of Zune Pass, and it's another under-sung reason that Zune Pass is such a great value. I'll blog it on Monday.

@Palmer: I think Microsoft will keep Zune Pass going and, if it's not already sustaining itself, they'll figure out a way to make it sustain itself.

And... worst case... in the unlikely event that Zune Pass goes away in a few years, I'll still have had enormous value is what it's given me over that time. I'll have a better idea of what I want in my music repository, because of the unharnessed access I've had to the ZMP catalog. If, heaven forbid, I have to go back to paying by the track - which now seems so last-century - I will still feel like I got great value out of Zune Pass.

@everyone: Try it for six months, and you'll see what we're talking about.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 04:57:30 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

What if I pay for a subscription for 3 years and then the last of the subscription services finally go broke? I cant just pay $15 and start getting it all back. There is nothing. I have nothing.

Heh, you're missing the real value of it Palmer. Do you really have nothing after all that uninhibited listening? The value is in the journey not the destination. What we derive as satisfaction in music isn't ownership, that's only a means to an end. We own to listen. And if that's the case, how can subscription not be a better way to experience music?

But what you're saying about its profitability is true. It's a worry I have, hence the need to highlight its positives above to incite more to join up.  The thread is a Zune Pass parade, no need for dark clouds.

Damn $15 a month is a good deal, but I hate monthly fee's.

It's not like you have a 2 year commitment like most likely the monthly fees you pay for your cell phone. You pay monthly, or in a three month chunk.  Who says you can't go ahead and pay for three months and quit after listening to a mega ton of music during that time? Or once every six months? The point being, once you get used to being able to listen to music like that, you like it and end up wanting to just continue on and not look back. I started with thinking I'd go for a month and see if it was worth it, my tune changed after a couple weeks and the idea of it being a trial was left in the dust. I'll be subscripting to the Pass as long as it's offered. $15 is a steal as it is in my little ole opinion for the value of what I get to do.

Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »

And... worse case... in the unlikely event that Zune Pass goes away in a few years, I'll still have had enormous value is what it's given me over that time. I'll have a better idea of what I want in my music repository, because of the unharnessed access I've had to the ZMP catalog. If, heaven forbid, I have to go back to paying by the track - which now seems so last-century - I will still feel like I got great value out of Zune Pass.

COMPLETELY agreed. Even if it goes under in a few years (which I doubt; just because something doesn't make money doesn't mean that it's not profitable in some other way), the use that I'll have gotten from it over that time will have been tremendous. From there on out I would be able to make much better decisions on what's worth my money, which artists I like, and just generally make more sound music purchases on the whole.

Of course, if it just keeps going I'll be in even better shape.  Wink

Visit my portfolio.
ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on October 07, 2007, 02:54:11 PM
The number one reason I won't subscribe to any subscription...

From David Caulton, Microsoft employee, Zune team member:

This has been the summer of long knives for subscriptions. Virgin, AOL, URGE, and now Yahoo! are all leaving the business. Napster is burning cash and will run out sometime in the next 24 months. Rhapsody appears to me to be spinning off of Real into a separate entity, perhaps to clear the books to Real can be all about technology and games.[/size]

I think it is great that all those other business will be out of the subscription business.  That leaves only the Zune as an option for all those people who still find the subscription model the only way to go.  It sells more Zunes and it helps the Zune Pass have a chance at becomming more profitable because now all those dollars will be under one roof instead of spread out across Virgin, Aol, Urge and Yahoo.

(Mod edit, something was funky about the quoting, fixed it. - Jander)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 04:07:58 PM by Jander » Logged

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »

I understand the value... I just don't see it. And I don't think enough people will for a while. Most people don't mind the top-10 stations where you hear the same songs hour after hour. In fact, most people go out and buy the CD and listen to those top ten songs again and again and again. And again, until they're burned out and they get another song.  Then they go out again and buy the Now! CD with those top-tens again. Those hit-song CDs aren't such great sellers for nothing.

People hear a song on Scrubs, or Grey's Anatomy, or Heroes and they download it (legally or illegally) and play it until they're sick. They don't check to see what else that artist put out. They've already found the next single they want to burn into the ground.

But that's just my observations of the people around me.

Subscription - It's a step above XM radio. You're paying about the same amount, but you're getting what you want. Still I can barely justify the $6.95 I pay per month for XM (I called into cancel and they offered me another year for $6.95 per month).

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:49 PM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on October 07, 2007, 04:18:58 PM

Subscription - It's a step above XM radio. You're paying about the same amount, but you're getting what you want. Still I can barely justify the $6.95 I pay per month for XM (I called into cancel and they offered me another year for $6.95 per month).

I couldn't justify my XM either.  It is a great service but it is not customizable.  Plus I found a new way to listen to Opie and Anthony without the need for XM.

It all comes down to just letting go the need to own it.  After a while your not going to listen to it anyway.  I have over 400 cd's that don't see the time of day anymore.  They just sit there all lonely waiting to be played but it most likely is not going to happen.  Everything I need is one click away.  The power of the Zune Pass comes when you sign in for the fist time and you click on any album you want and press download and then it is yours to listen to and if you don't like it you just delete it. 

Or you can you the Zune Marketplace as a huge radio station.  There are many times where I just put a whole genre in the playlist and hit shuffle and it is hours of entertainment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List