Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 31, 2011, 01:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune Pass Listening Thread #4 for the week of 10-7-07  (Read 3565 times)
ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
Zune Pass Listening Thread #4 for the week of 10-7-07
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:14:36 PM »

Hopefully everybody knows the deal by now.  Listen to the reco'd albums and give a little feed back.  For those that are just checking in for the first time this is a way for you to check out some new music and give some feedback.  By new music it doesn't mean that it just came out, but it is music you many have not been exposed to.  Each weak I recommend a few albums and we listen to them through the magic of the Zune Pass and we talk about these artists in these threads. 

There are a few simple rules.

1. Listen to the reco'd music

2. What are you likes/dislikes

3. Keep all comments about music about these featured artists

4. If you want to recommend an album then just PM me with your choice and I will fit it in.

As always happy listening and hope you find something new.

Artist:  Audioslave
Album:  Revelations
Description:  Criss Cornell meets Rage Against the Machine

Artist: Electric Light Orchestra
Album: The Essential
Description:  Album reco'd by tbird

Artist: David Gray
Album: White Ladder
Description:  Opening act for Radiohead and Dave Matthews Band

Artist: Amy Winehouse
Album:  Back to Black
Description:  You are going to have to listen to the Edited version because it is the only one available through ZP.  Very talented vocalist who has got some soul as well as a drug problem.  She is a mess in her personal life, but she can belt out some unbelievable tunes.

For anybody looking for what we already have listened to here is the link.
http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=6088.0
This link will take you to the Sept 07 ZPL Rundown.

Link to week 3
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:21:06 AM by ballbagcheese » Logged

JIGGY24
zune commando

View Profile
Re: Zune Pass Listening Thread #4 for the week of 10-7-07
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:42:38 PM »

Wow, very nice bro Smiley I donut have the Zune pass, but i like listening to new music, One day when the ZP is in full swing, i will get me a pass Smiley
ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »

Quote from: JIGGY24 on October 06, 2007, 10:42:38 PM
Wow, very nice bro Smiley I donut have the Zune pass, but i like listening to new music, One day when the ZP is in full swing, i will get me a pass Smiley

It is in full swing.  There are 3 million albums to listen too. 

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

Excellent - I will check these out.

Also, will blog about this set of recommendations on Monday. Thanks BBC!

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »

blogged it

bruiserrules67
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »

Artist: Cactus World News
Album: Urban Beaches

This Dublin, Ireland band's record has been long out-of-print, but, just for fun, I searched the Zune Marketplace and it popped up. I believe this one originally came out on U2's (now defunct?) record label, Mother Records, in 1986. Imagine mid-80's U2 or Simple Minds with a harder edge and you have some inkling of how this band sounds. There is another Dublin-based band that came out around this same time, In Tua Nua, who is also well worth the search - their CD is not on the Marketplace, but hopefully it will be on there one day.
ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »

Quote from: bruiserrules67 on October 08, 2007, 09:28:59 AM
Artist: Cactus World News
Album: Urban Beaches

This Dublin, Ireland band's record has been long out-of-print, but, just for fun, I searched the Zune Marketplace and it popped up. I believe this one originally came out on U2's (now defunct?) record label, Mother Records, in 1986. Imagine mid-80's U2 or Simple Minds with a harder edge and you have some inkling of how this band sounds. There is another Dublin-based band that came out around this same time, In Tua Nua, who is also well worth the search - their CD is not on the Marketplace, but hopefully it will be on there one day.

Thanks for wanting to participate but I need you to PM me with any reccomendation and I will get that album in the next week or the week after that depending on how many recommendations I receive.

On another note if you are going to PM me with a recommendation I need the album to be in the Zune Marketplace.

Thanks.

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »

Well IMO another good selection to listen to this week.

Audioslave/Revelations I have heard of them before but never listened to any of their music. I thought it was interesting, but the cuts started to all sound the same after a while. The cuts I did like were 3/4/5/and 8.
Will I keep this album? probably not. But thanks to the Zune pass its not a big deal.

David Gray/White Ladder Completely new for me. Have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Especially liked cuts 2/3/6/and 7.
I will keep this one and may even buy it.

Amy Winehouse/Back to Back I actually own this one. For anybody who has not listened to her you really need to take the time. Very Good!!

ELO/The Essential One of my favorite groups back in the day. Had kind of forgotten about them until recently when some of their music started showing up on a Sears and Honda ad on the tube.
This Album I thought pretty much captured what ELO was all about.

So out of this weeks selections.....Audioslave, OK. David Gray very good. Amy Winehouse, excellent!!! and ELO great to listen to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:17:47 PM by tbird » Logged

aliceru
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »

wow, i am really excited about this tread. I am always looking for a chance to get exposed to new music.
thanks for doing this!
thenumberdevil
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »

I was able to hear the Amy Winehouse album and I have to agree with tbird. Very Nice! You can even hear the North London accent (my wife lived there for many years). I really liked three tracks more than the others 1, 5 and 11.

ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »

tbird, I was a liitle dissapointed that the album for ELO did not have "SHOWDOWN" on it.  I love this song mainly because it is the song they play in KINGPIN with Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson, when they bowl against each other at the end.  Love that movie and love that song.  If anybody wants to find it, it is on the All Over The World album.

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »

Quote from: ballbagcheese on October 10, 2007, 06:14:52 PM
tbird, I was a liitle dissapointed that the album for ELO did not have "SHOWDOWN" on it.  I love this song mainly because it is the song they play in KINGPIN with Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson, when they bowl against each other at the end.  Love that movie and love that song.  If anybody wants to find it, it is on the All Over The World album.
Agreed, but just wanted those who had not listened to "ELO" before to have a good sample of thier music.
"Kingpin" one of my favorites as well. Grin

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »

Thanks, I like ELO and remember them well from my high school days. Hadn't come across KINGPIN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List