Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 04:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paradigm shift (year old thread resurected)  (Read 12057 times)
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Paradigm shift (year old thread resurected)
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »

Cool stuff just happened.  I've been all over the place doing some reading,  (and up way later than I should  Tongue )getting the general consensus of how the public is taking the unveiling. There wasn't laughing this time. I didn't read one poop joke. Not one. And after all the reading, press releases, comments galore, I see something happening to Microsoft itself as a company, something that hadn't hit me until today.  They are shifting their business.  There was a couple comments from Gates and Allard made in the official press release that got the ole noodle moving,

“Twenty years ago we bet the company on an integrated productivity suite of word processing, spreadsheets and presentations, and we changed the way people work,” Gates said. “Today we’re making big bets on games, music, video and connecting these entertainment experiences to help change the way people play.

"By tapping into customers’ passion for music with Zune Social, we’re starting to change the game,” Allard said. “This lets us start building a new, more valuable kind of relationship with consumers that, combined with other Zune innovations, will start to drive the entire music industry forward.”

What the h*ll is going on here? They are saying things that make people like me do a double take. I mean this is big dumb Microsoft, known for being, well, big dumb and dull to the geek nation. With a company image that isn't exactly "hip" can it be possible that ole McSofty is shifting from work to play?  Can they change the music industry? Seriously, pioneering?

With big players in music industry change like Terry McBride suddenly being quoted in a press release for a new DAP update, something is actually up.

“The time is right to let go of the older business models and recognize that consumers want something different when it comes to music today,” said Terry McBride, CEO of Nettwerk Music Group. “People are looking for simple ways to find great music and easily take it with them wherever they want to go, and Microsoft is not afraid of doing things differently to deliver on this vision.”

McBride is turning how labels do business on the industry end by giving artists full proceeds to CD profits.  In other works the guy's a Maverick as far as how he's handling the business, and well as totally changing how users can get music, and having a guy like that support ole Microsoft was sorta a curve ball for me. Didn't expect that.

But beyond what is happening to MS, what's even more...satisfying is how the media and public is chewing on the news. This is the same peanut gallery that lambasted the original Zune from the outset and continued laughing. What they are saying now about the Zune Team's decision to upgrade all Zunes is very telling. Huge decision on MS's part. They just gained some very hard won geek cred because the dominant player has went the opposite way since the beginning. And it's that type of move that changes minds about all the laughing that went on last November.

One comment I read at egadget, a place fairly entrenched by iPod users, I especially liked:

Absolutely. I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but Microsoft did something very uncommon and *very* admirable here.

It seems like dedication to the customer is inversely related to popularity - Microsoft with the Zune, just like Apple with Macs (but definitely not iPods!) I kinda wish Apple hadn't gotten so big in that area... then I could buy an iPod and feel loved by the company AND feel like I was stickin' it to the Man at the same time. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore... hopefully I'll still be able to rave about their computers for a while before they get too popular and not-consumer-friendly too.

And all this time I thought it was just Microsoft. ;-) Dare I say: kudos to them.

There really is something to being the underdog that drives determination and creativity. I've read quite a bit of comments from the Apple faithful who would love to buy a new Zune, and mentioned the only thing that stopped them was the lack of mac compatibility. I read far more comments like that than I would have thought.  With the Zune80 the Zune team hit a sweet spot. From what I can gather with Apple's latest line was the iPod classic has massive amounts of storage, which is perfect for video, yet has a smaller screen. The touch has a beautiful screen, yet nowhere near enough storage room for video. Zune 80 is in the middle of the two. And that is what I'm getting from the DAP community at large. It's not too fringe, making it overly expensive, and it's advanced enough to be tempting for a ton of people who want to jump from 30 gigs up. Kinda reminds me of the course Nintendo took with the wii.

I think we'll be meeting many more friends next month, and more to come as the years past. The brand Zune isn't a joke anymore, and finally feels like a legitimate contender.

All hail competition. Smiley

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:33:03 PM by Jander » Logged

admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Paradigm shift
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:15:24 AM »

I have been pleasantly surprised as well with comments in Engadget, Giz, and Crunch.

I think many were ready to write Zune off, when Apple released their line-up last month. Microsoft has earned some credibility today.
bunnybash
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:29 AM »

jander... bloody brilliant post... i was formulating something in my head along those lines... but no need to say anything other than "hear hear!"

Productivity is not the future... entertainment is the future...

The yuppie corporate high flyer is no longer the dream... now the dream is to sell your start up to google... good riddance to the yuppie too!

JIGGY24
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 03:51:29 AM »

great post Smiley MS is heading in the right direction
Zaff Sans
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:17 AM »

Believe me, the iPod gang is just knocked flat for a bit.

They are right now synchronizing talking points and critical phrases they will be using every time the new Zune is mentioned.

If you read closely, you will already see certain phrases being used over and over again. Two examples:

"This Zune would be great, if it was 2006!"

"The Zune is still 2 years behind the iPod"

Neither of these phrases make any sense, but they are already starting to push them.

By no means is this all of them. Some are actually mature enough to say something nice about the Zune. But just watch out because a lot of them have yet to get to a computer when I wrote this. When they do, just watch for similar phases amongst them.
thenumberdevil
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 06:04:13 AM »

Quote from: Zaff Sans on October 03, 2007, 05:46:17 AM
Two examples:

"This Zune would be great, if it was 2006!"

"The Zune is still 2 years behind the iPod"
...  But just watch out because a lot of them have yet to get to a computer when I wrote this. When they do, just watch for similar phases amongst them.

Hey! Don't write their excuses!  Grin

Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:08:52 AM »

Nice and good post...mod Jhander. Kudos.

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »

Good read!
Thanks for the post Jander.

djricorich
zune commando

Soldado De LA Roca

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

Good freakin post Jander i really feel the same in a lot of ways different directions for companys can make or break them and microsoft is pulling out all the guns this time around. I also love how ya related it to the Wii which is very similar. look at nintendo now being behind in terms of technology but on the front in terms of sales and customer satisfaction with its product design interface and gameplay. I feel the same direction is leaning towards our favor.

Long Live the zune

seanman
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »

Why would anyone get excited about wifi on the new Zune? In order for it to automatically sync you have to use AC power and dock it. My question is how is this different from docking the iPod to update it?

I can't believe everyone is so excited about this. It still requires user intervention. For it to sync without being connected to a dock it still requires user intervention to sync it manually. What are the chances that you are going to be sitting in the living room and say "Gee, I should manually sync my Zune because I haven't been at my computer all day and since I haven't been at my computer all day I could not have downloaded anything new for the Zune to sync because if I did download something more than likely the Zune would be close by or even recharging in the dock."

Hmm, while it's in its dock recharging it can also be syncing. As we see with the iPod Apple was able to use a USB cable to sync and charge the battery and not add wireless which is not needed for that purpose when it already has a cable for charging.

My version of something syncing wirelessly is it detecting the authorized wireless network and syncing without me having to do anything and THAT it does not do!!!

It's pretty pathetic that people are so excited about that feature. You should be lambasting Microsoft for half-ass doing that. But, it is typical Microsoft. Maybe next time when they decide to add a feature, they will do it correctly like Apple does.
admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »

Quote from: seanman on October 03, 2007, 05:13:15 PM
Why would anyone get excited about wifi on the new Zune? In order for it to automatically sync you have to use AC power and dock it. My question is how is this different from docking the iPod to update it?

I can't believe everyone is so excited about this. It still requires user intervention. For it to sync without being connected to a dock it still requires user intervention to sync it manually. What are the chances that you are going to be sitting in the living room and say "Gee, I should manually sync my Zune because I haven't been at my computer all day and since I haven't been at my computer all day I could not have downloaded anything new for the Zune to sync because if I did download something more than likely the Zune would be close by or even recharging in the dock."

Hmm, while it's in its dock recharging it can also be syncing. As we see with the iPod Apple was able to use a USB cable to sync and charge the battery and not add wireless which is not needed for that purpose when it already has a cable for charging.

My version of something syncing wirelessly is it detecting the authorized wireless network and syncing without me having to do anything and THAT it does not do!!!

It's pretty pathetic that people are so excited about that feature. You should be lambasting Microsoft for half-ass doing that. But, it is typical Microsoft. Maybe next time when they decide to add a feature, they will do it correctly like Apple does.

My Zune is often in its Home AV Dock - which is connected to our home TV/stereo and *not* connected to our PC.

With wireless sync, I can pick up my Zune from the Dock and run with it, knowing it has automatically synced with my PC. That to me is a great convenience.

I think people who use podcasts will love this. Podcasts are a great example of how you can have new content ready for syncing, even when you haven't been sitting at your PC lately.

The wireless sync feature is is a real plus. I think many who wonder about it now, will appreciate it big time once they start using it.

PS Please don't double (or triple) post. I've deleted your duplicate posts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:22:16 PM by admin » Logged
Zaff Sans
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

Quote from: seanman on October 03, 2007, 05:13:15 PM

Oh my God Roll Eyes...

From Ceaser at Zuneinsider (the guy that actually works on the Zune)

"I've seen a lot of questions on the wireless sync so I thought I'd chime just clarify a few things real quick:

First, you can click "sync now" on your Zune if you're within your home network's range, that'll sync your device if you're not plugged into AC power. Automatic wireless sync works like this: if you're plugged into a dock, AC adapter or speaker dock accessory, wireless sync will automatically start after 1 minute of device inactivity. So you can plug your Zune into the best speakers in your house, or charging right next to your cell phone and then the content gets sync'd automatically."

Oh, and did you really just sign up just to post this?

And I believe NONE of the iPods can even sync via wi-fi.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:24:04 PM by Zaff Sans » Logged
slice
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »

"Why would anyone get excited about wifi on the new Zune? In order for it to automatically sync you have to use AC power and dock it. My question is how is this different from docking the iPod to update it?"

Here is how I am going to use my new zune when it comes out. I use zune only in my car, on bus and in the gym. I will buy an AC adaptor for the garage and leave the zune plugged there when I get home.. Overnight, podcasts and tv shows will download on the pc.. in the morning, i take the zune and head out for work/gym.. and all the new content is on the device.. its a killer feature for me!
djricorich
zune commando

Soldado De LA Roca

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

Quote from: slice on October 03, 2007, 05:30:13 PM
"Why would anyone get excited about wifi on the new Zune? In order for it to automatically sync you have to use AC power and dock it. My question is how is this different from docking the iPod to update it?"

Here is how I am going to use my new zune when it comes out. I use zune only in my car, on bus and in the gym. I will buy an AC adaptor for the garage and leave the zune plugged there when I get home.. Overnight, podcasts and tv shows will download on the pc.. in the morning, i take the zune and head out for work/gym.. and all the new content is on the device.. its a killer feature for me!

i would like to second that notion it makes it a lot easier for us to get new content. almost like the wiiconnect 24 with the wii. random updates are sent to the wii whenever. i dont need to log on the internet to get an update check. so if i was chilling in my room which does not have a cpu. i can press sync on my zune and get any new stuff wirelessly downloaded to my zune. the idea i believe is for an easier approach to getting content and i believe microsoft whent the right route with wireless

seanman
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 05:41:55 PM »

OK, seriously, how many people keep their computers on all day if they haven't used it all day? Laptops are now outselling desktops so we know those are not going to be on all day if not being used. This device is targeted to the general population NOT geeks. The average population is not going to keep a computer or laptop on all day if they are not using it. It will either be in sleep mode or hibernation. So, if the desktop or laptop is not on when is the Zune going to sync by itself? It will sync when the user has to either interact with the Zune or computer on alot of occassions.

So, again I see no valid use of this wireless syncing. Just another useless feature like "squirting a song to some random stranger (lol)" that the AVERAGE consumer is not going to really use. The patrons of Zunerama are not enough customers to make a difference in how well this new Zune sells compared to the iPod.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List