Zunerama logo Zune HD  
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 04:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on "Zune Social" from Microsoft announcement  (Read 2712 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
More on "Zune Social" from Microsoft announcement
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »

Tonight, as Bill Gates and J Allard introduced the new Zune line-up, they revealed some details about Zune Social - an online community site, currently in beta, "built around and powered by people’s passion for music".

What does this mean? Well, the Zune Social experience centers around use of a Zune Card, which automatically updates to reflect music you're listening to. The card displays most recently played tracks and highlights that person’s all-time music favorites.

Other members of Zune Social can play samples of the songs a user has been playing directly from a friend’s Zune Card or link to Zune Marketplace, where they can buy or download the music.

Members of Zune Social can create a friends list, send song links and messages to each other, and post comments on a friend’s profile page or on their favorite artist pages.

Microsoft's press release states that users can "discover new music by seeing what their friends are listening to, receiving recommendations from others in the community or by seeing what the top fans of artists they’re interested in are listening to."

Artist pages list the Zune Cards of the people who listen to that artist the most. Other Zune Social members can then browse their recent playlists and discover new content - which they can sample, purchase or download with a Zune Pass.

In the words of J Allard: “By tapping into customers’ passion for music with Zune Social, we’re starting to change the game" in the music industry.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Re: More on "Zune Social" from Microsoft announcement
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:16:40 PM »

I read that and thought, OMG! They're building a last.fm-esque social networking site.  That's huge. I've wanted some sort of social music networking integration since the beginning.  They listened. This is exactly the path I'd hoped they'd tread.  Highly pleased with this development. The implications of how the Zune Social will grow in features and use are market changing.  Just another few big steps to making wifi more available and Marketplace streaming content along with that on the go and they've built my dream service.

I'm one happy camper.  Grin

rerush
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Jander on October 02, 2007, 10:16:40 PM
I read that and thought, OMG! They're building a last.fm-esque social networking site.  That's huge. I've wanted some sort of social music networking integration since the beginning.  They listened. This is exactly the path I'd hoped they'd tread.  Highly pleased with this development. The implications of how the Zune Social will grow in features and use are market changing.  Just another few big steps to making wifi more available and Marketplace streaming content along with that on the go and they've built my dream service.

I'm one happy camper.  Grin

Especially because there are no plugins for the zune software and so last.fm doesn't have any of the play count from my zune.
archive
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »

Microsoft is cashing in on the web 2.0 revolution. excellent idea.
segadc
zune master

<o>

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »

Finally the real  "Social"

Vasquez CP1
zune master

It's a Mii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »

Very cool feature. It will also create more publicity for Zune (if it starts showing up on a lot of people's myspace and facebook pages).

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

http://social.zune.net/member/vasquezcp1

Lord Moon
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 04:02:40 PM »

Xbox Gamer Card + last.fm = Zune Social   Nice. 

I just state this now.  With all these announcements I'm much happier now with my purchase of a Zune. I was thinking about selling it as the software was giving me so many problems.  Now with new they are rebuilding the software, firmware upgrades, and a last.fm style system I'm glad I held on a bit longer.

SINED, SEELED, and DELIVERED
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List