Zunerama logo Speck - Zune accessories!  
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2009, 04:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gizmodo: Zune "pretty promising" and "very sexy"  (Read 1406 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Gizmodo: Zune "pretty promising" and "very sexy"
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

From the Zunerama blog:

Gizmodo just completed its first hands-on review of Zune, and has published quite a glowing review.

I'll break their main points into a couple blogs, starting with their perceptions of the Zune player:

Body: The outside is made out of a rubberized plastic, which goes through an interesting process where they paint the inside a different color than the case—this gives the Zune a two-toned look which both looks and feels great.

Upgrade potential: The hardware paves the road for them to do various other "scenarios" with the Zune. In the future, via software update, the Zune should be able to possibly do stuff like share songs over the internet, wirelessly sync with the computer, stream music/video to other devices, and much more. The hardware is there, but it just needs to be activated by software. Microsoft's decided to focus (wisely) on making the Zune simple to use and intuitive for people to pick up. Something that we think they've achieved.

User interface: The UI is snappy and has lots of zooming, sliding and various cool effects when you're navigating. Luckily, the eye candy doesn't get in the way of usability. The click-pad isn't too bad to use, but it's not touch sensitive like the iPod wheels.

Screen: The Zune's screen was bright even outside, and had pretty much zero glare. Movies and pictures played back smoothly, and the display transitioned automatically to landscape mode when you start a slideshow/movie. Pictures are auto-cropped to display large on the screen, and will be auto-resized down from the original whenever you send them to your friends over WiFi. The Zune was easy to hold in both landscape and regular modes — no problems at all.

Summary: Overall, this seems pretty promising. I can't find any mis-steps or anything where I have to ask "wait, this is dumb, why did you do this?" in both the player and the software. The Zune itself is very sexy, and feels nice to the touch—not too heavy. We can't wait to do another hands on as the launch date approaches. Oh, and I still can't decide which color is my favorite.

We'll post more in a separate blog about Gizmodo's review of Zune's PC software.

technomom
zune-ologist

View Profile
Re: Gizmodo: Zune "pretty promising" and "very sexy"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 11:23:24 PM »

This is about the fifth review I've seen that comments on how great the Zune "feels".

I guess the soft (rubberized?) plastic feels good compared to the cool steel of an iPod?

I yell because I care.
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 04:26:06 AM »

a good review for a microsoft product?!?

wow... that is good news, indeed.  Smiley
julius12
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »

Great pix. Thanks for the links
pinksage
zune trooper

andrea.avellan@hotmail.com mzsaqe
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »

Brown looks like caramel!

http://beetstro.com
http://theblueskittle.com

Dr.zune
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 10:01:10 AM »

I think i actually like the "clunkyness(.6' depth)" i  will give me a bigger sense of secruity when handling it wiht friends becuase i know they can drop it (not) and it will still be funtional, i dont feel that way with an ipod.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List