Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 04:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZUNE SAVES DANCE  (Read 3944 times)
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
ZUNE SAVES DANCE
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »

It's story time, gather 'round kids.

Preamble: I'm a mobile DJ, been at it for 12 years now, ever since I was 17. It's fun, but last night wasn't. 'scuse the length, but it's worth it, promise.

So Saturday night I was off to DJ a homecoming dance for a local High School.  Me and a fellow co-worker/DJ wanted to snag a few songs before we left, and he said he'd burn them before I got there to pick him up.  Well he got into the car empty handed, said iTunes funked up the CD. That was a sign, a very bad sign, but we had no idea it would be the first of many things that would go very very bad.

When we arrived at the school, all the doors were locked and we had to wait a good 20 minutes to get in there and start setting up. That put us behind a bit, but that wasn't a big deal, I've been doing it for a long long time.  So up goes the equipment, cords are flung out, speakers get set up, power is on. Dance starts at 7pm and we always get music up playing by then. So I throw in a CD and press play. Up goes the music, it's 7:01 and I run off to put some finishing touches on the light show when I hear a weird screech over the speakers.  I run over there and stop the music and take out the CD and take a look at it for a second to make sure it doesn't have a massive scratch, and then put it back in the slot. The dual CD player doesn't like it now. So I try the other side, no dice.  Not liking what I was seeing, I got a new CD and threw it in, and again, things weren't looking good.  So I turned the CD deck off and turned it back on. What I saw wasn't good, display was on, but nothing was displaying, the info wasn't indexing.  Really really bad sign.  I haven't seen that in a decade. So it's suddenly plan B time.  Having spent more than our fair share dealing with unforeseen technical difficulties over the years we always have backup, so I ran out and grabbed the extra CD player. It was about 7:10 at this point and if you don't have sound up by then, High School administrations don't exactly like it.  So this one wasn't at this point, they let me know as I'm scrambling to get the backup player going. 

Finally at about 7:15, music is playing and I take a breath. Problem is it's just one CD player, to effectively do a dance, dead space is your enemy, and the seconds between CD changes are killer.  So I call in a favor from one of our other workers DJing a wedding to bring another player up so things will run smoothly.  He got there at about 8:00 after we'd been playing from one or two CDs to minimize switches.

We quickly plugged in the other player, a small discman into the mixer and suddenly found the connection was off, the sound kept fluxuating.  By this time it began to sink in, everything that could go wrong, was. Then the pitch on the first backup went haywire slowing down the songs further than you want them to sound.  It was about head bashing time.

We were on plan D down, and so we brought out a whole new mixer. Meanwhile the crowd is getting slightly restless, the music had been up to that point iffy due to the single deck problem. This is a crowd that loves them some hip-hop/rap and we had been playing a bit too much "un-cool" stuff.

So we plug in the new mixer, run it through the old one and unplug the broken CD deck and plug in the new one on the new mixer. My wires were pretty frayed at that point. I've never seen technical difficulties quite like it before. Once we got the new mixer up, my buddy had to run back to the wedding. Once he left we thought okay, we're good now, but sure enough, one of the sides of the new deck wasn't reading discs all that swell. I was exasperated now. The music gods were NOT smiling at me. So I run a cleaner through and it's good again. It's 9 now, dance ends at 10. 

By this time, we'd already had about 50 requests for Soulja Boy's - Crank Dat. It's all the rage with the kids at the moment. Luckily we have it right? They'd skin us alive if we didn't play it, and then jack the van out back. So the time comes, we'd focused the music back and built them up, and we threw in Soulja Boy for the homerun...one problem though, the disc won't read. #$@! We "cranked" it through all 4 CD players we had after all that mess. Nothing.  Now it was sorta tragically funny. We just couldn't seem to win. These kids were going to kill us, we'd told almost all of them who had come up and requested it personally that the song was going to thrown down.  So we throw in some more songs to buy us time, all the while telling the next ten kids who wanted Crank Dat that the CD wasn't working. One of them I finally told to ask around, get me anyone, anything who had the CD.

They started chanting it. It wasn't looking good--when a girl walked up with wouldn't ya know it, a Zune in her hand.  I was surprised for one, holy #@$! another Zune, and two she's got our song loaded on it.  So I high five her one for having a Zune, and two for having the song. So we fire it up and wire to the system and it pounds out across the crowd, thumping to two 26inchers and a 2500amp running through 4 directional speakers. Crowd went wild. I can't tell you how proud I was of that little Zune (and that girl), it totally made the night across the board. I think it actually saved us, literally. Tongue

So all ended well, kids were pleased/appeased and I slept real nice once I finally got home.

Thought I'd share. Smiley

bunnybash
zune trooper

View Profile
Re: ZUNE SAVES DANCE
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:43:37 PM »

Lol kinda reminds of the story jesus feeding the crowd with the little kids lunch or whatever... haha

*jander just got called jesus what?!*

Grin

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:12:49 AM »

LOL!!!!! Grin
Have done that mobile DJ thing a couple of times............Wont do it again....Kids can be brutal!!!
Cant wait for the movie!!! Grin Grin
Funny story!

segadc
zune master

<o>

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:02:29 AM »

Great story!

Dwain77
zune commando

White 30 replaced with a 120 GB.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »

Great story....glad things worked out...sort of.   Cheesy

One thing you missed though, what color was her zune? 

Scarpad
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:46:28 AM »

I dj'd for close to 20 years, but knew after the first few times that High School dances are not worth the frustration, stopped doing those very early on.

http://social.zune.net/member/Scarpad
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:05:14 AM »

I call BS...nobody owns a Zune in that school... Wink
j/k.
good read.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:09:41 AM by Ricardo Dawkins » Logged

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »

Love it!

Blogged it!

Vasquez CP1
zune master

It's a Mii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 09:22:08 AM »

So when are you going to switch to using 2 zunes for all your gigs, instead of CD players?  Cool

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

http://social.zune.net/member/vasquezcp1

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »

One thing you missed though, what color was her zune?

She had a blackie. I almost wished I had my Zune with me, (actually I think I might be bringing it to dances just in case from now on  Shocked ) just so I could swap some songs and do something zuners rarely get to do. After she came back up to get her Zune, we thanked her and I mentioned to her that "it's good to see another Zune owner."

She said, "Yeah, you gotta represent by being different." Wink

So when are you going to switch to using 2 zunes for all your gigs, instead of CD players?

We've talked about going digital for years now.  The main thing is presentation. We have nice mixers and it looks...professional.  If people look up and see some dude and their laptop/Zune/iPod it comes off as hey we're paying some guy who has something everybody has to play music.  But knowing a bunch of digital mixing programs and seeing what other DJs are doing with the latest tools, I wouldn't be against making the switch.  It's just a bunch of extra work in getting that huge backlog of CDs ripped digitally, and building a set up that still maintains presentation without looking unprofessional. I think we're just lazy.  I would absolutely love a digital search function so I can find songs much more quickly instead of flipping through page after page on our case logics. And I could definitely do without the occasional CD scratch problem. Going digital would eliminate some of those specific technical difficulties fo' sho'.

I dj'd for close to 20 years, but knew after the first few times that High School dances are not worth the frustration, stopped doing those very early on.

High Schools dances take up the majority of our business. Once we got a handle on the balance of what administrations expect and what students want, we've been able to be very successful. I could DJ them in my sleep now. The kids can be fun once you know what to play and when to play it, but they can be total crap every once and a while.  So there's parts you have to have patience for. I'm a Teacher, so I'm weird that way. Wink What sort of stuff did you end up DJing? Clubs? Weddings?

pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »

Another case of Murphy's Law at work, eh?

You may not be here today if it wasn't for that Zune...

jonnyt
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »

The only bad thing about djing using a zune or cds is that the music can't be mixed thats why I carry a lap top with all my music and when customers give me a certain list of songs I actually mix it at home and burn it n just play the cd's at the event, and how do you guys get a contract to play at a school dance I only do weddings, quinceaneras, baptisms, birthdays n clubs sometimes, do you guys contact the school or what. The easier way I found to get contracted is to give out cd's at the mall with my best mixes and my number

mysekurity
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »

I deejay for my high school by playing music over the loudspeaker in between the periods (during the hallway passing time). I dealt with an old Sony 5-disc changer last year before stepping up and actually using a computer. I haven't looked back.

I can create mixes on the fly, schedule the songs to coincide with the bells, and, perhaps most importantly, censor all the bad words with little effort. An added plus is that I can use my Zune to cart music between my house and the school computer, eliminating the need for tons of CDs or flash drives. Also, I can find my tracks easier, and if I forgot a song at home, I can pull it straight from the Web.

I still rock some of the more professional DJ tools on my desktop at home, but the deejaying experience is much better. Hopefully if and when I go pro, this stuff will be useful to me.

And yeah, the only physical music media I use anymore are in Vinyl. Anything on a CD can be ripped to a PC or downloaded form one of the zillions of online stores (like, ahem, Zune Marketplace). If I'm going to be using inferior digital audio, I don't want it to take up actual space. With Vinyl, I don't mind because of its sound quality and the sheer nostalgia of owning a record.

It's good stuff Smiley

(And great story, btw)

link fixed.  -pulse
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:47:38 PM by pulse » Logged
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »

Good read. When's the book coming out? Wink

600TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List