Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 05:43:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Iphone hack « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Iphone hack  (Read 347 times)
AIIZEE
zune dog

View Profile Email
Iphone hack
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070824/iphone_unlocked.html?.v=12
WOW
Palmer Deville
zune master

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Iphone hack
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:24 PM »

Good for Apple - sell more iPhones.

Bad for Apple - no profit sharing from cell contracts.

Bad for AT&T - no matter how you slice it.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »

AIIZEE I have a better link with a video and I was just about to post this but you beat me to the punch.

Meet the teenage Iphone hacker and watch the video to see how he cracked the code to basically make the iPhone unlocked.

http://video.aol.com/video/news-think-different-meet-the-iphone-hacker/1962557
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »

The Iphone is being abused and used by hackers, scammers, and small business trying to profit off it.  The iPhone has become a joke and gradually starting to have more security issues than Microsoft deals with Windows.

BTW this teenager is not the only one who has figured out how to unlock the iPhone; in fact a small company has figured out an easier way to unlock the iPhone with a SIM unlock software they were planning to sell to the public, but were threatened by Apple's lawyers, so they figured out how to still make a profit by selling it online as a download for a couple hours.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-software-unlock-competition-begins-to-heat-up/
Palmer Deville
zune master

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »

More over exaggerated nonsense from Bond...

Please point me to all these current security issues. 

1. The only one I've heard was the safari issue, which was patched very quickly.

2. This unlock hack is nothing more than circumventing a lock on the phone and is far from a security issue.

3. The people who created the "jailbreak" software are typically Apple's best third party developers who really want to write software for the iPhone.

4. All the hacks, etc. are voluntary and must be performed by the iPhone's owner. They are not security issues. If any of these hacks create an issue, that is not Apple's fault since the owner voided the warranty by applying the hack.

Hackers, scammers and small businesses - please explain how such an interest in using and programming for  the iPhone is bad.

Additionally, AT&T's lawyers are threatening a lawsuit, not Apple's (though they may).  Apple still makes money off of every one of those unlocked phones, AT&T is the one who's really being hurt by the unlocking since iPhone owners can switch to TMobile. Of course, Apple gets a cut of every AT&T/iPhone subscriber's contract.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Kaiser
zune master

Dance Infinitum!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Apple is not terribly concerned with what people actually do with the phones so long as they buy them, and their interest in AT&T will never be as important as the sales of their hardware. Since this could always become incentive for more people to buy more iphones, I doubt Apple would be very displeased that people simply found a way to use their phone for a different service. Seriously, Apple does not need AT&T, and this unlocking iPhone craze is proof positive.

The iPhone will have more security issues than Windows?

"So, Scientology, you win THIS round, but the million-year battle for the Earth has just begun!" - Trey Parker & Matt Stone
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:58:42 AM »

UPDATE:  The teen who hacked the Iphone traded it for a new car.  He is now benefiting/profiting from his fame and who knows what's next for this teen who seems to have a bright future.

http://www.switched.com/2007/08/28/teen-trades-hacked-iphone-for-car/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Kaiser
zune master

Dance Infinitum!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »

Yeah, I posted this in Zunescene, but I must reiterate this...

This...this is how any of that is possible....Jebus.

"So, Scientology, you win THIS round, but the million-year battle for the Earth has just begun!" - Trey Parker & Matt Stone
pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

What a dumb kid... trading the hack for a 20k car and a couple iPhones?  He could've easily gotten 6 figure moolah from Apple or AT&T to keep his mouth shut. 
thenumberdevil
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 08:33:35 AM »

The iPhone WiFiTMS firmware update locked the unlocked iPhones. Apple is still keeping it a closed ecosystem -- and -- all the cards up their sleeve.
Pages: [1] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Iphone hack « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans