Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 01:26:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Hacks and Mods (Moderators: pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: The ultimate Zune Software Mod/Add-on -- so far undeveloped! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The ultimate Zune Software Mod/Add-on -- so far undeveloped!  (Read 2058 times)
oregonism
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
The ultimate Zune Software Mod/Add-on -- so far undeveloped!
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:50:29 PM »

I've been wanting to build a home jukebox -- just a Windows/Linux box running some jukebox software with a touch screen like you see in bars.  You know, so you can scroll across albums, search for songs, etc.  If you could create that front end to the Zune Software with a subscription the jukebox could "search" the Zune Marketplace giving you a jukebox that in addition to all your music could legally download anything anyone searched for.  It would be truly great for parties.

Alas, I'm not a programmer/developer.  Anybody want to give it a shot?  Hate the idea?  Let me know!

Oregonism
Blackie
zune master

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
Re: The ultimate Zune Software Mod/Add-on -- so far undeveloped!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:36:29 PM »

why don't you buy MS surface?
BTW are you from oregon... just a wild guess Grin

Stay Cool, Stay Clean, Mr. Clean
I'm not saying I don't trust you, and I'm not saying I do, but I don't.
Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!
Because when the going gets tough, the tough step their s**t up.
Come to the darkside. We have cookies.
oregonism
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 08:55:50 PM »

Ha!  to your first question cost and availability  Tongue

To the second, yes from Oregon originally -- haven't lived there since Oregonism was my handle on Compuserve CB Simulator...but once an Oregonism always an Oregonism.
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »

nice idea, but you'd need to hook the computer up to a really fast internet connection. you'll probably want a subscription because if you have a party, i'm sure people will be downloading a lot of music. sounds like a fun idea though, good luck!

Endless
zune commando

I ♣ Seals!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:26:33 PM »

Microsoft Surface won't be available for about another three years. And even then it will be limited to its distribution. I am sure there is some Open source somewhere...

scoutflyer
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:04 AM »

Microsoft surface Is available this year for some businesses, and it's quite expensive (5-10kUSD) but as the technology becomes more refined it will be smaller/bigger, better, and cheaper.
buelldm
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »

in response to using ms surface, if you wanted to wait a few years, its actually probably going to be used specificly for things like this. and if you think about it 5-10k isnt even all that bad. a custom pc can easily cost a couple thousand, or 30000 if its a voodoo pc, or some other nice pc.

but to comment on the original post:

I dont see why you cant just take the physical controls and bring them to the front surface so its just the control buttons and a screen (which will just be a lcd screen hooked to the spot of the original zune.

just to explain how it may be done

open the zune, obviously.

detatch the circular buttons

extend the wires by a)replacing them completely or b)adding more wire to the existing wires (to avoid taking wires off)

cut a hole in a surface, and bring the controls through it

take out the lcd screen of the zune, and replace it with a large one thats also brought out to the surface. as for touch screen, im sure there is a way to buy a touch screen and wire it directly to the controls of the zune but that would be some fancy modding.

anyways incase all of this is not completely clear lol, here is a beuatiful sketch done on ms paint.

pbg4life
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:18:33 PM »

This idea is very similiar to what some people have already done with the Itunes Software and made a custom pc with that software and LCD screen and created a mini jukebox with coverflow showing album covers.  This can be done with the zune software without needing to use the zune itself but I may have missed the point of hte original poster?

oregonism
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »

Thanks for all the responses and to clarify the original post - the goal would be to emulate the MP3 commercial Jukeboxes that are found in bars and restaurants now...they show various albums by different artists, and you can scroll around and choose a song by a given artist that's already been downloaded.  The reason I brought up Zune software with subscription is that not only could you do that with your existing music collection, but also allow anything in the Zune Marketplace to be downloaded and played on the fly, like the search feature on the commercial jukeboxes.  It's pretty easy to find and download almost anything, but to transfer that activity to the simplicity of the MP3 jukebox would be IMHO a winner, and unless I'm missing something - completely legal and possibly with commercial appeal Smiley

I'm looking to emulate something like this:  http://www.roweinternational.com/jukebox_nitestar.html

If I could run it on a Windows PC it would be perfect for the home bar, parties, etc. - having a touchscreen interface would be a big bonus but it could be easily controlled with a mouse.  This could be a pretty cheap PC too - it doesn't take much hardware anymore to run Zune software on XP.  Surface would undoubtedly make this easier, but who wants to wait for that? <grin>

Again, thanks for all the responses!
Pages: [1] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Hacks and Mods (Moderators: pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: The ultimate Zune Software Mod/Add-on -- so far undeveloped! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans