Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 01:21:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Hacks and Mods (Moderators: pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Zune Hacker Challenge #1 - win some Zune wear! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Zune Hacker Challenge #1 - win some Zune wear!  (Read 2066 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Zune Hacker Challenge #1 - win some Zune wear!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Vipralion on June 22, 2007, 01:47:40 PM
Thus far I've been able to export WMP11's wmdb file into an xml format.

Next up, getting this same method to work on Zune's wmdb file. Anyone know how to use an executable to target a different file? lol

Could you move and rename the ZMP wmdb file, so that it has the same name and location as the WMP11 wmdb file? Then run that same executable?

Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on June 22, 2007, 01:51:00 PM
Quote from: Vipralion on June 22, 2007, 01:47:40 PM
Thus far I've been able to export WMP11's wmdb file into an xml format.

Next up, getting this same method to work on Zune's wmdb file. Anyone know how to use an executable to target a different file? lol

Could you move and rename the ZMP wmdb file, so that it has the same name and location as the WMP11 wmdb file? Then run that same executable?

Funny thing is that I just tried that. The first attempt I got an xml file but though it was formatted correctly with the xml schema, the content was garbage. It looks like the catalog.wmdb file is of a different format so I can't use the executable which works fine with a normal WMP11 wmdb file.

I'm still looking though. I'm close enough that I have an xml file of my WMP11 library.

Edit: For some reason WMP11 saw fit to rebuild my WMP library. All I did was rename the file, run the .exe, then after seeing it didn't convert the falsely named zune catalog.wmdb, changed it back. Oh well. All I lost in the process were the records for my playcount of each song. No! Say it ain't so! Lol.

Maybe someone else can take my findings and run with them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:24:16 PM by Vipralion » Logged
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

I had heard that if you wanted WMP11 to rebuild your music library, deleting that .wmdb was one way to do it. But I would have thought that your temporarily renaming of the file wouldn't have triggered that.

Where did you find the executable that is able to read the WMP11 wmdb file and produce an xml file?

Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »

Oh the executable? Oddly enough it's right inside your WMP11 Program folder.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmdbexport.exe

I found it through other means then realized while looking for the WMP wmdb file (I forgot that it was called CurrentDatabase_360, lol) that this executable was already on my computer.
Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 08:26:55 PM »

Zunerama Ed., you  said you just want to generate random songs to test right? Why not find a way to fully utilize the info Marshillboy provided in addition to what I'm about to tell you.

Basically, just go into Zune Marketplace Songs view, select all, add to playlist, create a playlist, and save. Then use Notepad++ or an XML editor to view the actual playlist file you just saved. The playlist contains a single entry for each song on the playlist in this format:

Code:
<media src="vnd.ms.zunecp://CP/?ContentPartnerKeyName=Zune&TrackID=2391230&AlbumID=299919&StreamType=Music"/>

If you have a particular song already in your library then Zune will instead add an entry for the song in this format:

Code:
<media src="..\..\Avenged Sevenfold\City Of Evil (Parental Advisory)\07 - Sidewinder.wma"/>

The only problem with this method is that you will need to have a computer with plenty of memory in order to handle the tedious task of continuously scrolling down in the songs view. Zune will automatically append more songs to the list as you scroll down. I did so for about 10 minutes but only managed about to get about 147,000 songs selected and added to a playlist. However, after further inspection it would seem that the Zune's playlist only tracks about 10,000 records total giving me a 1,325kb file. Perhaps only copying about 9000 or so songs into a playlist at a time would allow you to have 250 of these playlist files which you could combine into one massive file although I'm not exactly sure how you would go about keeping track of the songs you did and didn't already have.

I'll do a bit more investigating though. So far that's 2 possibilities that don't quite go far enough to give us the entire marketplace content. Hopefully third time's a charm hold's true here and I'll manage something.
masterbeta
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

i think i may have cracked this Smiley

but testing now to make sure... will post back in a few Smiley

[]D [] []\/[] []D
masterbeta
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »

ok apparantly - on wmplugins.com - there is a utility called "media library exporter/importer" - i installed it and ran it to export the info from the catalog.wmdb file - and it exports it into an ms-access database - in which you can further export the info into any txt, xml, doc, etc file... Smiley

though - i think the catalog.wmdb file is the actual catalog of what music you have yourself on the zune - versus the entire marketplace collection offline...

i don't have ms-access installed - so i can't fully view the results...

i can upload the utility on here - but can't find an upload button Smiley
hehe

[]D [] []\/[] []D
masterbeta
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »

did i win the challenge?

lol

[]D [] []\/[] []D
masterbeta
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 08:51:50 PM »

oh here's the link to direct download the utility...

http://www.wmplugins.com/Download.aspx?ItemID=376&Url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.avsoft.nl%2fdownload%2fother%2fsetupLibraryExporter.msi

[]D [] []\/[] []D
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 10:39:58 PM »

Hmmm those are both promising approaches. I'm going to do some experimenting this weekend and see how far I can get with those.

Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 02:57:01 AM »

Quote from: masterbeta on June 22, 2007, 08:49:47 PM
ok apparantly - on wmplugins.com - there is a utility called "media library exporter/importer" - i installed it and ran it to export the info from the catalog.wmdb file - and it exports it into an ms-access database - in which you can further export the info into any txt, xml, doc, etc file... Smiley

though - i think the catalog.wmdb file is the actual catalog of what music you have yourself on the zune - versus the entire marketplace collection offline...

i don't have ms-access installed - so i can't fully view the results...

i can upload the utility on here - but can't find an upload button Smiley
hehe

I can't get the utility to work. I keep receiving errors. Did you actually get the utility to process your catalog.wmdb file? Upload your resulting MS Access file. I'd like to see why mine didn't work. Or if not, how large is the database file it produces? My catalog.wmdb file is about 50mb. My .zpl file managed to size up around 1.3mb.

My WMP11 wmdb is about 13.8mb and contains a little over 1000 songs. Although I'm sure the WMP wmdb also includes pics and videos too. Even then it's hard to imagine that the Zune Marketplace can fit into 52mb. It's over 2,500,000 songs. So I do wonder if the file contains the entire Zune Library. It must right?
masterbeta
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »

i don't believe it contains the zune marketplace - my export said "258" tracks or something like that - the marketplace is on zune's servers...

you have to have .net framework 1.1 for it to work...

[]D [] []\/[] []D
Marshillboy
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »

Well, obviously even if the catalog.wmdb contains all of the marketplace song info, at 40 MB it OBVIOUSLY won't be songs, but rather just metadata or info pertaining to marketplace songs and not the actual tracks.  All of the songs are stored on a special server url I have logged, but the tracks aren't listable and they are based upon expiring download tickets.  If you really want to pursue this idea further, that's cool, but I think you should be chasing a challenge a little more worthwhile, but hey that's just my 2 cents.  Wink
Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 02:42:19 PM »

Hmm... I may have found a solution. Using some tools Microsoft developed for developers to develop their own .wmdb files and also work with these kinds of files. Not sure how long it's going to take for me to work through this but it looks promising.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Hacks and Mods (Moderators: pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Zune Hacker Challenge #1 - win some Zune wear! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans