Zunerama logo   
News: Find Zune accessories

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 12, 2010, 03:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Zune in Euope in 2007  (Read 2946 times)
coco99
lil zuner

View Profile
No Zune in Euope in 2007
« on: June 03, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »

Steve Ballmer said that Microsoft will not release the Zune in Europe in 2007. He could not tell when the release could be done.

Check the story here:

i4u
engadget
http://www.cliczune.com/2007/06/ballmer_no_zune.html

*added additional story links - Ed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:38:10 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
Re: No Zune in Euope in 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

I feel bad for our friends across the river  Cry

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »

That means my dad won't be able to try the Zune in the U.K unless he visits the Uniteds States, I visit him or I buy him one.  He is currently an Ipod and nothing has persuaded him to switch, but I think the Zune will open his eyes.

This is sad news because how on earth is Zune going to compete with Apple big time if Zune is not officially gone completely global.  People overseas are missing out on an awesome product and a better alternative to an Ipod. 

Cocco 99 I had just posted this topic, but I guess you beat me to the punch so I removed it.

Nardes
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:26:17 AM »

I woder if they are waiting for the 2nd generation zune to get up of its feet before releasing it over there.

namsiuH
zune trooper

Power_to_the_misfits@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:41:58 AM »

I just read that on a dutch newssite and I was rather disappointed. But this way I at least have an exclusive mp3-player.

namsiuH

"As long as there is one smoldering ember on the barbecue of justice, you can still cook a mighty steak of victory!"
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

Hmmm,

Steve Ballmer says Microsoft is losing money on the Zune...

Hello Smithy.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »

Quote from: Palmerdeville on June 04, 2007, 06:51:08 AM
Hmmm,

Hello Smithy.

No Goading Microsoft apologists!  Tongue

Edit: Cesar from Zuneinsider has some comments about this very topic: LINK!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:59:56 AM by Jander » Logged

Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »

Palmerdeville :
Hello Smithy

So what?
Didn't stop Microsoft from making to the tune of $5 Billion in profits after tax in the last quarter alone, the largest profits by far of any technology company, besting Apple, IBM, Oracle, HP, Dell and even Samsung.
Even if Microsoft were to lose $50 per Zune sold(that's a big if), that would amount to just $50 million in losses total since the Zune was launched in November last year till June ending. That would be but a rounding error from last quarter's $5 Billion profits alone.
Meanwhile the same Steve Ballmer has already said that the Zune hardware itself was not being sold at a loss as compared to the cost of production.
As far as I can make out, any current losses on the Zune would have more to do with marketing costs, R & D costs for the next-gen Zunes, capital costs for the new Zune factory in China, etc etc.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:36:32 PM by Smithy » Logged
Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »

No Goading Microsoft apologists!

Microsoft "apologists"?
What kind of world are you living on in which those who spew out disinformation, FUD and anti-Microsoft propaganda , are ok, but those who set the record straight are somehow "apologists"?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:30:14 PM by Smithy » Logged
Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »

Update: There was apparently some error in translation:

In an update to last night's article here, Microsoft corrected a translation error that came from a response Steve Ballmer had given a German magazine. We reported that the Zune player was coming to Europe, but not until 2008 and now the company has said there is no set timeframe at all.

The comments by Ballmer, correctly translated should have said "we decided not to enter new markets so far and will not do so until after we have reached some of the goals outlined. When this will be the case, I cannot tell you today."

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9986.cfm
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »

Quote from: Smithy on June 04, 2007, 05:15:38 PM
No Goading Microsoft apologists!

Microsoft "apologists"?
What kind of world are you living on in which those who spew out disinformation, FUD and anti-Microsoft propaganda , are ok, but those who set the record straight are somehow "apologists"?

Make no mistake about Smithy, you most definitely are our resident MS Apologist. If anything negative gets claimed about Microsoft, there's no doubt you'll be there to explain. I meant nothing negative about that at all, nor was I implying any other type apologist has more merit than yourself.  You are obviously a firm supporter of Microsoft, maybe a bit too argumentative, but otherwise, thorough articulate and yes, stubborn.

Myself, I'm company neutral. I'll take anything from anyone that's a great product and that fits my needs.  I just don't understand the need to be so dogged about one side or the other, especially when I can enjoy two good products than just one because of loyalty.  But that's just me.

/whatever floats your boat

Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

Make no mistake about Smithy, you most definitely are our resident MS Apologist

Nonsense.
You obvioulsy don't know the meaning of apologist.
Hint: It has nothing to do with setting the record straight when  no offence has been commited, and yet  disinformation to that effect is posted.

If anything negative gets claimed about Microsoft, there's no doubt you'll be there to explain.

If false information is posted on  here, I counter that with facts. Let's face it, the internet is crawling with Microsoft-haters of all kinds, ranging from open source fanatics to Apple fanboys to Nintendo zombies, even going as far as OS2 fanboys still smarting over the beating OS2 took from Windows, over 15  years ago. They crawl out ofthe woodwork whenever  Microsoft product are being discussed anywhere, and procced to fire missiles at will.
Personally, I am fed up with all that nonsense.
While it's impossible to counter all the bile, one can at least do what one can, when one comes across these kinds of posts on web sites one visits.
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »

Make no mistake about Smithy, you most definitely are our resident MS Apologist

Nonsense.
You obvioulsy don't know the meaning of apologist.
Hint: It has nothing to do with setting the record straight when  no offence has been commited, and yet  disinformation to that effect is posted.

Nah, I got it. But for good measure.

a·pol·o·gist (ə-pŏl'ə-jĭst)

n.

A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.

You argue in defense of Microsoft.  Again, not an insult.

(Just say okay. You'll be fine)

Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »

A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution

Websters:
Main Entry: apol·o·gist
Pronunciation: &-'pä-l&-jist
Function: noun
: one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/apologist

What it does NOT say is that an apologist is someone who defends himself (or an organisation) when outright lies, half-truths  and fabrications are told about him, or about an organisation he has some afliation with in some way, especially when said statements are made in a mood of malice.
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 08:47:58 PM »

Quote from: Smithy on June 04, 2007, 08:36:13 PM
A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution

Websters:
Main Entry: apol·o·gist
Pronunciation: &-'pä-l&-jist
Function: noun
: one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/apologist

What it does NOT say is that an apologist is someone who defends himself (or an organisation) when outright lies, half-truths  and fabrications are told about him, or about an organisation he has some afliation with in some way, especially when said statements are made in a mood of malice.

Nazi!

Read this Smithy. Hopefully you'll get the joke above, if not, you're in reality, a robot.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List