Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 01:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More than 1 million Zunes sold  (Read 5910 times)
microzune
zune dog

View Profile
More than 1 million Zunes sold
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:49:43 AM »

Question: Can you talk a little bit about the Zune overall? Will we see next-generation Zunes coming out, particularly flash-based players?

Bach: We're still about nine months into having Zune in the marketplace. We're very pleased with the progress. We've sold a little over a million Zunes. In the category we're in, the hard-disk-based category, we've got about 10 percent market share. It's a good start. It's not an overwhelming start. I'm not going to pretend it's some gigantic move.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/28/MICROSOFT.TMP
Kuji
zune trooper

I <3 my Zune

View Profile
Re: More than 1 million Zunes sold
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:20:55 AM »

Nice stuff.
spencerjf
zune commando

Good Times, Bad Times, I know I'v Had My Share.

spencerjf13 spencerjf@ymail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:40:15 AM »

Thats great that they sold a little over 1 Million Zunes!  Grin Thanks for pointing that article out.  Cheesy

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:59:43 AM »

considering the (poor) early marketing campaign and (bad) early press, that IS rather surprising.

just think what zune can do now that microsoft is more on track... with better ads, special editions and colors, and new models on the way.

it's very possible that in their second year zune grabs more than 20% of the market.  that would be very promising. Smiley
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »

woohooooo 1 million and plus ...take that naysayers....

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »

Excellent news! I like the rest of the story too.
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:35:05 AM »

Only 99 million to go...

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »

Quote from: Blackie on May 28, 2007, 09:35:05 AM
Only 99 million to go...

I don't think they need to catch up with iPod's sales from the past 5 years, just sales since they've been on the market together. So in the past 9 months... That would be around 35 million.

Also, I wonder if Microsoft is counting Zune sales the same way many industry folks have said they counted Vista sales. In other words, are they counting the sale to the customer or are they counting the fact that it's sold to Best Buy, Target, Costco, etc and is sitting on their store shelf? So how many Zunes are in consumers' hands?

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

Quote from: Palmerdeville on May 28, 2007, 11:24:14 AM
Only 99 million to go...

I don't think they need to catch up with iPod's sales from the past 5 years, just sales since they've been on the market together. So in the past 9 months... That would be around 35 million.

Also, I wonder if Microsoft is counting Zune sales the same way many industry folks have said they counted Vista sales. In other words, are they counting the sale to the customer or are they counting the fact that it's sold to Best Buy, Target, Costco, etc and is sitting on their store shelf? So how many Zunes are in consumers' hands?
Are you counting flash nanos, ipods shuffles and 5.5 Generation together ? Are you ?

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »

Palmerdeville I feel like you are doubting the Zunes success.  A million Zunes is a million Zunes sold regardless of how they counted it and where Zune was sold.

If the news hits Engadget or Gizmodo Zune doubters like you are going to say that a little more than million Zunes sold is not accurate.  In fact they are going to make these arguments.

1. Why have they not sold out or sold well in stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. and still on store shelves.

2. More Zunes have been returned than actually sold.

3. Microsoft must be counting online sales or making false claims

This news is going to make Zune haters sick and wonder why a little more than a million people actually like the Zune.

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »

I have no doubt about the Zune success. I think the Zune has done great since it came out. Unlike many people here, I don't hate other products just because I chose one.

But you're wrong about one thing, A million Zunes is NOT EXACTLY a million Zunes sold regardless of how they counted it. If I made and sold 1 million Widget Y to WalMart I could say to my investors that I've sold 1 million Widget Y. However, if 500,000 of those widgets are still sitting on the WalMart shelves... Have I really sold 1 million Widget Y? Not according to market analysts like NPD. NPD counts the end sale to the consumer not the sale to the retail chain. I'm simple questioning which way Microsoft is counting.

I've personally seen ONE Zune on the street and that was the one I owned. My wife currently attends San Diego State University full-time. She has NEVER seen a Zune on campus.

What I'm saying is, Microsoft would clearly hate to say that they didn't meet their 1 million Zunes by June goal. It's almost June. So is Microsoft counting all Zunes sold to customers or all Zunes sold to the retail chain.

There is a significant difference and many in the industry said that Microsoft already misrepresented Vista sales by counting Vista copies sold to the retail chain, not actual customers. I'm simply asking which it is with Zune.

With Vista, you had Steve Ballmer blaming pirates in foreign countries for the lower than expected sales of Vista then a month later you have Microsoft talking about how Vista is selling so much better than they expected. Which is it?

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on May 28, 2007, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: Palmerdeville on May 28, 2007, 11:24:14 AM
Only 99 million to go...

Are you counting flash nanos, ipods shuffles and 5.5 Generation together ? Are you ?

In short, YES.

Every iPod, regardless of type is another iPod in the hand of a consumer and another set of white earbuds in the public view.

Do you have any doubt that had Microsoft released more Zune models that they would have larger mind-share at this moment. Do you?

GK86
zune master

You and your third dimension.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 01:35:28 PM »

Nice.  And how are they(MS) pleased with the process of the marketplace?  There's still no video content!

Master Shake: But look, I mean...is he gonna be able to chase us? `Cuz if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run toward the nearest living thing and kill it.
Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »

Only 99 million to go...

Umm..the iPod has been on the market for since 2001, while the Zune has been on sale for just 7 months. Plus the Zune currently has no cheaper flash-based players on the market, as sector that accounts or up to 80% of the market.
Compare like to like.
Smithy
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

But you're wrong about one thing, A million Zunes is NOT EXACTLY a million Zunes sold regardless of how they counted it.

Microsoft is counting a million Zune's sold exactly the same way as Apple is counting their 100 million iPod's "sold". No more no less.
If you have had no shrill comments to make on Apple's figures for iPod's "sold", why on earth start carping on the 1 million Zune's sold then?

Not according to market analysts like NPD. NPD counts the end sale to the consumer not the sale to the retail chain.

I am yet to see NPD come out with any actual figures of Zune's sold. So I don't know where you think you are getting your figures from. Nor have I seen NPD dispute Microsoft's Zune sale figures either.

I'm simple questioning which way Microsoft is counting

Why don't you start off by questioning Apple's iPod "sold" figures for starters, dude?
After all, Apple have been in the MP3 business longer and are the ones that have been under investigation b the SEC for financial skulduggery, going as high up as Steve Jobs himself.

many in the industry said that Microsoft already misrepresented Vista sales by counting Vista copies sold to the retail chain, not actual customers.

Those so-called "many in the industry" you talk about, wouldn't be the Apple fanboys, open source haters, and plain old mischief makers with nothing better to do would they? Talk is cheap, and mudslinging is easy. Meanwhile, let's see some real evidence shall we?

With Vista, you had Steve Ballmer blaming pirates in foreign countries for the lower than expected sales of Vista then a month later you have Microsoft talking about how Vista is selling so much better than they expected. Which is it?

Which is it?
Why, the figures that appeared in Microsoft's first quarter sales figures of course. The same AUDITED figures that were sent to the SEC.  The same figures that sent Microsoft's profits to s stagering $5 billion after tax, and Windows sales up a massive 65%.
Did Steve Balmmer give 2 different sets of figures? Nope. He merely indicated that some analysts had gotten carried away with their overly optimistic estimates of Visa sales.
Worth nothing that Microsoft has one of the most conservative accounting in the business.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:41:51 PM by Smithy » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List