Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 01:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul McCartney: available today in Zune Marketplace; AWOL on iTunes  (Read 2268 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Paul McCartney: available today in Zune Marketplace; AWOL on iTunes
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:54:54 PM »

From the Zunerama blog:

Paul McCartney's solo material is available now in Zune Marketplace: hundreds of songs on 20 albums, including Band on the Run, McCartney II, Wingspan, and Unplugged (the first MTV Unplugged album ever, by the way).

But as of today, he's not on iTunes, except for a handful of songs on one new album (Chaos and Creation in the Backyard).

What gives? Apple made a big deal earlier this month about adding McCartney's catalog to its iTunes music store.

Apple isn't saying what's up. But as of Thursday afternoon, McCartney remains bizarrely AWOL on iTunes.

AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
Re: Paul McCartney: available today in Zune Marketplace; AWOL on iTunes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:38:13 PM »

I had to look up AWOL. 

I guess it might be an exclusive thing. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
Nardes
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:02:19 PM »

Point: ZUNE!

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Nardes on May 24, 2007, 07:02:19 PM
Point: ZUNE!
I will second that! Grin

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

Not really surprised by this news because Paul McCartney has had beef with Apple for quite a long time, but this is good news for Zune.

More exclusive artists, music, bands, and songs the Zune Marketplace gets the better.  Zune Marketplace>Itunes

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:44:22 PM »

Hmmm... another blind look at Zune and the Marketplace.

Exactly, exclusives... "iTunes Offers Exclusive Pre-Order of New Paul McCartney Album “Memory Almost Full”

“’Memory Almost Full’ is a very personal album for me, and I'm thrilled to let fans experience it in a whole new way,” said Paul McCartney.  “There’s no better time to make this music available through iTunes.”

Paul McCartney's full catalog of 25 solo albums will be available for the first time digitally on iTunes later this month.

25 albums > 20 albums
Exclusive Pre-order > Exclusive Nothings
iTunes  > ZuneMP

Oh, and since much of Paul's music was through EMI - it will probably be available in a DRM free and 256kbps format on iTunes... So no worries, it'll still play on the Zune.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »

That's great that Paul's latest will be available on iTunes, and exclusively so!

"Another blind look" at ZMP, though? I don't think so.

You don't find it noteworthy that iTunes - usually a leader in making music content available - doesn't have McCartney's catalog available online, four days after it's available through ZMP and other online stores...?

Even iLounge is questioning what's up with the iTunes delay!! No word yet from Apple.

"It is unknown why iTunes has yet to offer the albums — currently, only McCartney’s newest release, “Memory Almost Full,” is available."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:57:49 PM by admin » Logged
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »

Personally, I don't think there are enough people using the other music services to worry Apple. Will everyone get their fill in the week gap?

Also, I'd bet on the fact that the DRM free and 256kbps music will release on Tuesday and be presented in conjunction with Paul's collection - both are due in May. That's just me though.

While they have quite the influence  - I've never been impressed with iLounge. In the beginning they were great, now they are just another business who needs page hits - more power to 'em...

Yes, it's another look what Zune Marketplace has that the iTun... Nevermind.  The Zune Marketplace's main plus is the subscription option.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 05:03:56 PM by Palmerdeville » Logged

admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »

I agree, I don't think the other services having the jump on iTunes will make much of a difference with iTunes.

Just a strange delay, but I'm sure all will be explained once the stuff is available.

That's interesting about your take on iLounge. Are there other iPod sites you do like? Or do you frequent the more generic Mac or Apple sites - - eg tuaw. Just curious.

FYI I read a rumor that Amazon might buy iLounge. Not sure I see the logic there, but I speculate it's because they have a lot of affiliate sales??
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 06:01:17 PM »

I heard the same thing about Amazon/iLounge. I also heard Amazon was looking a acquiring a few other similar sites. I believe you are correct - enough affiliate sales make them worth the buyout. I assume this is like when Amazon bought IMDB in '98. I know they are making bank off of IMDB links.

Getting acquired by a large company is what many creative entrepreneurs crave. It frees them up to work on their next idea with more capital to boot. Of course, for some a good site opens new doors - name attached to a "for Dummies" book anyone...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List