Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 01:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune turning the corner?  (Read 2266 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Zune turning the corner?
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »

From the Zunerama blog:

[see blog entry for text links]

It's been a bumpy ride since Microsoft released Zune. On one hand, the player has built a cultish following of owners who can be loud and passionate. On the other, Zune has taken relentless bashing from many iPod supporters, and no shortage of negative reviews from tech blogs. I would guess that most people with no firsthand Zune experience have a negative perception of Zune.

But now, five months after its release, is Zune turning a corner? There are reasons to think so. Witness:

- Steady Zune sales numbers reported by NPD and Amazon.
- A smart marketing campaign tying Zune to Microsoft's much-anticipated release of Halo 3.
- Reports that Zune's audio quality tromps iPod, from objective audiophiles and blind street tests.
- Well-received marketing tie-ins with Adult Swim, and artists like MIMS.
- A promising trend in news reports to say "iPod and Zune", rather than "iPod", when referring generically to MP3 players
- Apparent nervousness from Apple supporters, who feel compelled to campaign hard to dissuade potential Zune owners.

Are these signs that the slow build of Zune is gaining traction? The next few weeks could be telling, with:

- June 1: Microsoft's rumored Zune announcement (new players perchance?)
- New Zune marketing campaign underway.
- Early July: Announcement (we hope) of Zune's sales figures, after Microsoft's June 30th fiscal year end.

Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Zune turning the corner?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »

I agree. Go Zune. But we must remember Microsoft to up the ante with new firmware features. Come on, Go ZUNE !

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:09:59 PM »

Ever since the "This is why I rock" ad came out (which I have never seen on TV, only on the internet), I have heard much more about the Zune from people outside of the internet that before.  I have even heard people mention the ad before. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »

Quote from: AK Water on May 24, 2007, 03:09:59 PM
Ever since the "This is why I rock" ad came out (which I have never seen on TV, only on the internet), I have heard much more about the Zune from people outside of the internet that before.  I have even heard people mention the ad before. 
Same here.
I really feel that the more people hear about the Zune and actually try it out the more Zunes will be sold.
I have said this before and will say it again, every ipod user I have shown my Zune to walks away ticked off that he or she has an ipod and not a Zune.
I understand why they feel the way they do, I would feel the same way if I owned an ipod.
Iam happy to see that MS is actually starting to market the Zune.
However, do have to admit it was fun to be an owner of one of the best kept secrets in the world. Shocked

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:35:34 AM »

microsoft has definitely got zune on the right track... and a lot of this has happened in just the last month.  (compare our threads from a month ago compared to now--there are a lot fewer complaints, criticisms, etc).

i think what a lot of us were bothered by was that microsoft didn't seem to be solidly behind zune.  but now they do... and we're seeing the improvement almost immediately.
JohnCz
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »

From a Marketing & Business perspective we are definitely seeing an improvement from previous months.  I would give the following grades

B - Marketing (for their new TV advertisement and recent marketing push, still room for improvement)
B - Business (for getting high quality Pink, Red and Halo Zunes produced)
D - Development (what have you done lately?)
============
C - Final Grade for May 2007

I would have given the previous two months a D.  Once I see/hear about some new features developed for Zune then I'm going to give it a B.   As new devices, new content, more integration with existing Microsoft platforms and a fast growing user base become realities..that will be the difference between earning an A or B.  I don't expect all that to happen in one month.  We've got a ways to go but go...go Zune!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 03:07:57 PM by JohnCz » Logged
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »

i'd give them an overall B- for the last month. previously... a D.

but, i agree, they still need to offer more wifi features.  as we've already seen, other media players are adding wifi... with more capabilities than zune.  microsoft really needs to act faster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List