Zunerama logo Zune HD  
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 01:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune V. Ipod  (Read 3609 times)
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
Zune V. Ipod
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »

This is non bias video evidence courtesy of CNET that may put an end to the debate about what MP3 player sounds better or has superior audio quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSzRV7ET94

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Zune V. Ipod
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »

I personally think the iPod sounds better and I've listened to identical selections of tracks on both devices side-by-side for hours.  But that's my personal opinion. I will say the Zune out of the box definitely plays the highs a little more distinctly. That's just default EQ settings. However, preference of high and low EQ settings is purely subjective? The best test I could imagine would be having a group of audio engineers who know exactly how they intended a track to be heard, listen to each device and give feedback on which one mast accurately reproduced their final work.

Also, "a landslide?"  The score was 2 to 4, with one Zune chooser clearly saying "it was really close..." So let's see - while twice as many chose Zune, had one of those votes gone the other way you'd have a tie at 3 to 3. It's not like it was 20 to 40 where even 10 votes wouldn't have changed the outcome - it was 2 to 4. That's hardly a landslide and hardly an ample sampling for "end to the debate" evidence. With no detail given about the compression format chosen, the highs, lows, and subtle details of the tracks chosen, the volume at which each player was set, etc. It's hard to say this ends the debate.

Maybe they should play the highest quality track a device will play back and get a sampling - Zune: 320kbps MP3, WMA or AAC. iPod: Lossless.

CNET does these Prize Match and "this vs that" pieces for page hits and advertising $$$... not hard data.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »

Alright Palmerdeville your right about the CNET video and it won't end the debate about whether the Ipod or the Zune sounds better, but the Zune just sounds better to me.  In fact the audio quality between the two devices is very clear especially if you an Audiophile quality type of headphones.  There is another thread on Zunerama that talks about this.

http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=4141.0

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:18:49 AM by Bond007 » Logged

Dr.zune
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:35 AM »

zune is better.  Grin Besides, who wants to own something that EVERYONE else does? why not go for the new thing

ronaldmonster
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »

Quote from: Palmerdeville on May 20, 2007, 10:13:55 PM
I personally think the iPod sounds better and I've listened to identical selections of tracks on both devices side-by-side for hours.  But that's my personal opinion. I will say the Zune out of the box definitely plays the highs a little more distinctly. That's just default EQ settings. However, preference of high and low EQ settings is purely subjective? The best test I could imagine would be having a group of audio engineers who know exactly how they intended a track to be heard, listen to each device and give feedback on which one mast accurately reproduced their final work.

Also, "a landslide?"  The score was 2 to 4, with one Zune chooser clearly saying "it was really close..." So let's see - while twice as many chose Zune, had one of those votes gone the other way you'd have a tie at 3 to 3. It's not like it was 20 to 40 where even 10 votes wouldn't have changed the outcome - it was 2 to 4. That's hardly a landslide and hardly an ample sampling for "end to the debate" evidence. With no detail given about the compression format chosen, the highs, lows, and subtle details of the tracks chosen, the volume at which each player was set, etc. It's hard to say this ends the debate.

Maybe they should play the highest quality track a device will play back and get a sampling - Zune: 320kbps MP3, WMA or AAC. iPod: Lossless.

CNET does these Prize Match and "this vs that" pieces for page hits and advertising $$$... not hard data.

And I personally think your an ipod fanboy like Coot come here to find any negative press about the Zune and report it so it spreads into nasty rumors...but thats just what I theorize. And the Zune does support lossless FYI.

coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 06:34:08 PM »

Quote from: ronaldmonster on May 21, 2007, 06:07:09 PM

And I personally think your an ipod fanboy like Coot come here to find any negative press about the Zune and report it so it spreads into nasty rumors...but thats just what I theorize. And the Zune does support lossless FYI.

iPod fanboy? Someone's rather ignorant. Not only have I never used an iPod as a mp3 player (the ones I got for free were cashed in), but I own a bloody Zune! And I like the Zune, I, just like many others, am saying it could be better...

My take: I'm no audiophile, but to me, both the iPod (I compared at a local Apple store) and Zune sound pretty much the same. If you ask me, it's the higher quality headphones that make the difference (I'm using Zune Premiums). Notice how the poll didn't include a "they sound the same" option. And I agree with Palmerdeville, that little test with the Zune coming ahead 4-2 doesn't really prove anything; it wasn't a "landslide"victory (ie. 10-0).

-The Fanboyish Coot66

Retired Zune Master/Ambassador. Zune Enthusiast. Zunerama Moderator.

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »

Quote from: ronaldmonster on May 21, 2007, 06:07:09 PM
And the Zune does support lossless FYI.

Are we talking about the Zune or the Zune Software? Please point me to a reliable link.

I don't report negative press about the Zune. However, I do argue with incorrect facts posted about either player.  Want the full/factual comparison? 

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »

Yo coot I heard that you have a special edition Zune. What kind is it?

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »

Check out my Swimming Zune thread. I posted a picture!

-The Checking Coot66

Retired Zune Master/Ambassador. Zune Enthusiast. Zunerama Moderator.

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »

Coot66 your right the higher quality headphones do make a difference.  In fact a majority of audiophiles think the Zune sounds better and unlike the Ipod you do not have to use an equalizer to make the device sound good especially if your using good quality ear buds.

Checkout this site http://www.head-fi.org/

I agree with Ronaldmaster that there maybe secret Ipod fanboys on Zunerama and I smell some rats.  If there are Ipod fanboys on Zunerama then they should just be honest and come out of the shadows.  Don't be ashamed to admit that you like or dig the Zune, but happen to be an Ipod fanboy like people in other forums like Zunescene.  It is okay if you own an Ipod and Zune, but are a bit biased/loyal to the other MP3 player.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:50:51 AM »

Honestly? I think sound quality is fairly subjective.  Though if some crazily dedicated people/fanboys used the same headphones, same track, and conducted the same blind audio test to say, a million people, we might get close to some sort of answer.

Sound quality has a lot to do with audio presets that bring out the best in certain kinds of music + headphones that can isolate sound and process the highs, lows and bass + bit rate.  These ears (as in mine) are fairly satisfied with average headphones, catered audio presets to whatever type of music I'm listening to, and roughly 160+ bitrate.

Everything else is just plain picky.  Who's is better? Zune's or iPods? The difference is probably barely recognizable if the conditions are as similar as possible. So ultimately this discussion is really, which player we want to have better sound quality, so we can fling it around and taunt the other side with a good neener neener neener.  It's silly.  Maybe I'm a little tired of the two being compared, but it's just plain obvious that both players should be able to suit nearly all users needs in the music playing department, except maybe those who, for example would be crazy enough to conduct a test of the magnitude I mentioned up above. Anyone who cares that much, (which is better ect) needs to just stop and enjoy the music again.

/likes Zune more than iPod, likes music more than Zune and iPod
//neener neener neener! Wink

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 04:20:09 AM »

zune is better because this is a zune fansite.  end of story.  Lips Sealed
sexycommando
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »

I have some problems with this so called "test". 6 people is hardly a useful sample size this kind of statistical survey. Also, it seems like they played one type of music, rock. To make this kind of survey meaningful, you would need to have a much larger sample size, ideally 100 people or more. You would also have to let them listen to a variety of different music genres, i.e. rock, hip hop, classical, jazz, etc. to get the full spectrum of sound quality from both devices.

Given that, I have to vote for the Zune's audio quality. I have fairly sensitive ears since I've played the violin since age 4 (so 20 years now), and I listen to a wide variety of music. My brother's iPod just sounds flatter and has less resonance than my Zune with the same songs and earbuds.
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

In my expierence the iPod's sound quality is by far one of the worst of all the players I have listened too.  My dad's Zune has far superior audio quality, my brother's iRiver is better than both the Zune and iPod.  And my old Creative sounded better than the iRiver, my iPod, and my dad's Zune. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

my phone (w600i) has really good sound quality for a phone.

sexy, i hope you don't mean "flatter" in the musical sense  Huh

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List