Zunerama logo   
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 01:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune wireless sharing: Question for you math wiz's  (Read 3970 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Zune wireless sharing: Question for you math wiz's
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:21:30 PM »

I know we have a few brainiacs who frequent this site. Maybe some of you can help me...

Remember the infamous "Zune wireless sharing" test that we did back in January? LINK

The results of that were widely reported, and I recently received a phone interview from a Wall Street Journal reporter about it. Evidently, that test is regarded as the most extensive research into Zune wireless sharing, to date.

We can do a lot better, though.

I'd like to do a statistically-valid random sampling of songs from Marketplace, and test whether the songs can be shared wirelessly.

Can you math geeks give me some ideas about how to randomly select those songs? I want to get a good sampling that is statistically representative of the whole of Zune Marketplace.

I await your thoughts. 

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
Re: Zune wireless sharing: Question for you math wiz's
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »

go song by song and flip a coin  Tongue

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:49 PM »

If there was a master catalog for Zune Marketplace, that I could index and assign sequential numbers to each song, I could simply generate a series of random integers and (I believe) come up with a level of confidence based on the size of the random sample.

But without an index... I'm not sure. I've considered randomly generating letters, and coming up with closest song name match, but that's not random... because songs are not evenly distributed throughout the alphabet.

I could expand the test I did before, and base it on the 1,000 or 10,000 most popularly-downloaded songs. But I'm looking for something a little more elegant.

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »

Here's some more info as I understand it. The following deals with the statistical concepts of confidence levels and confidence intervals.

In a large universe (e.g. the many songs in Zune Marketplace), one can attain a 95% confidence level, with a 10% confidence interval, by testing a truly random sample size of 96.

So, after testing the sampling of 96 tracks, I would be able to state, with a 95% confidence level, that "XX% of Zune Marketplace songs can be shared, plus or minus 10%".

I am reaching back a bit here to my university statistics classes. But I think the above is correct.

The main challenge is extracting a truly random sampling of 96 songs from the Zune Marketplace catalog.

ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:59 PM »

I'm definitely not a math whiz but how about each member of zunerama cruise marketplace and pick one song to send to you to test?? Could that be random enough to get your sampling?
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »

and to randomize it even further, you could probably assign different genres. all i know about this stuff is that the more you sample randomly, the better.

ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:48:19 PM »

dr1v3thru did you notice what your post total was on that last post? Quick post again......

"dr1v3thru
zune master

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »

I think he's calling "thenumberdevil".

Where is he when I need him?  Smiley

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 05:39:49 PM »

:lol:

i remember when i hit 666 on the other forums i went to. i didn't even realize that! since you have a zune pass ed, you could download quite a bit of songs and hit random then transfer whatever pops up. i think that might be too clumsy though.

Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 06:40:19 PM »

I've heard that the shuffle on Zune is totaly random...

BTW no offence but, does it really matter?
When Zune sales reach the 100 million mark I think it matters...

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

*afterthought*
I think that by the time Zune sales reach 100 million mark iPod sales would have reached 200 million mark... Grin

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
jimmywhitehen
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 02:07:40 AM »

if u hav a calculator with a ran function oress it ( random) then times the number by 100.
the type in a, , c , d, into the market place search n pick the random number far down the list of each letter.
btw get a new ran, number for each letter- this is how i did my maths courswork and seemed to work
matt
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 06:33:09 AM »

Quote from: jimmywhitehen on May 19, 2007, 02:07:40 AM
if u hav a calculator with a ran function oress it ( random) then times the number by 100.
the type in a, , c , d, into the market place search n pick the random number far down the list of each letter.
btw get a new ran, number for each letter- this is how i did my maths courswork and seemed to work
matt

I have a good random number generator courtesy of random.org.

The method you describe would tend to overselect songs that have unusual first letters - e.g. starts with "Z" - compared to songs that have common first letters - e.g. all the "L" songs. But I'll think about this some more - some combination of using letters and a random sequence for songs within that letter may be a way to go...

coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »

Ugh. Reading this thread reminds me of the AP Statistics exam I took about a week ago. It went horribly. I learned nothing in that class and thus would be lucky to get a 2. Sad So, needless to say, I can't contribute positively...

-The Reminded Coot66

Retired Zune Master/Ambassador. Zune Enthusiast. Zunerama Moderator.

mysekurity
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:34 AM »

re: Downloading the catalog: Leesmann over at Zuneboards found a way to vastly speed up the Zune software by renaming Marketplace.dll, which apparently has the catalog stored in it. He showed me that he can customize the Marketplace to show any website he wants, and change the name of the Marketplace tab on the sidebar. I'm pretty sure the marketplace just gets its catalog from XML, and should therefore be pretty easy to aggregate.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List