Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 01:10:26 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Content for your Zune  |  Books (Moderator: pinksage)  |  Topic: The Reluctant Mr. Darwin « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Reluctant Mr. Darwin  (Read 218 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
The Reluctant Mr. Darwin
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »

This is a personal biography of Charles Darwin. It's by one of my favorite authors, David Quammen. You may know him from his regular feature in Outside magazine, "Natural Acts".

It revealed to me a fascinating historical fact I was unaware of: the many years that passed from the time that Darwin came up with his theory of natural selection to the time that he publicly revealed his theory. It's referred to as "Darwin's delay" - and I found fascinating the events that caused him to rush out the (relatively compact) Origin of Species rather than produce a much more lengthy treatment of it.

This read inspired me to head to my local library and withdraw The Origin of Species, which is one of the most famous books in the world and one that I have never picked up to read. I'm digging into that now.

namsiuH
zune trooper

Power_to_the_misfits@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
Re: The Reluctant Mr. Darwin
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:23:19 AM »

He rushed with bringing it out because Wallace was about to publish the same theory, right? But he did credit Wallace in his book (they were friends). Maybe I should read the the origin of species as well (even though I live in a very very conservative christian town, our library has that book)

Namsiuh

"As long as there is one smoldering ember on the barbecue of justice, you can still cook a mighty steak of victory!"
JIGGY24
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:25:06 AM »

I going to put this book i'm to read book Smiley thanks for the review
Vasquez CP1
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »

Quote from: JIGGY24 on October 08, 2007, 07:25:06 AM
I going to put this book i'm to read book Smiley thanks for the review

Just curious: is English your native language?

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Pages: [1] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Content for your Zune  |  Books (Moderator: pinksage)  |  Topic: The Reluctant Mr. Darwin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans