Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2007, 11:23:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked  (Read 1661 times)
segadc
zune commando

View Profile
Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »

http://www.zunescene.com/zune-2.0-details/

Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked

April 10 2007 - The chances of a Zune Scene editor running into a Microsoft Zune employee in the wild are pretty slim, but recently the stars were aligned and I got the inside scoop on the Zune 2.0 and also the flash based Zune coming out in 2007. I will attempt to preserve the identity of the Microsoft employee, he had no idea I write for Zune Scene, no idea at all. The whole conversation occurred on a business trip, you see, we Zune Scene editors have day jobs and are hard to spot in the wild also.

When I asked the guy where he worked he said Microsoft. That got my attention so I asked what he did, the answer was: "Zune". He gave his title which I will withhold. So I gave him a barrage of questions and here's what I found out:

Zune 2.0 and a smaller flash based Zune will be sold this year. He would not tell me the marketing names but referred to them as the big one and little one. The hard drive version looks like the generation 1 Zune, but is thinner. It has a larger hard drive and still uses the doubleshot. The flash based player he said is about "3 by 1 1/4 by 1/4 inches" in size. It is video capable and he said the screen covers about 75% of the front, similar to the hard drive Zune. The flash player has Wi-Fi and also uses a double shot. We discussed colors, he said there were several but did not disclose them. He had some interesting points about the clamshells saying that they can't be opened easily like the current Zune. Both devices have completed the design phase, although some last minute minor tweaks to the hardware will occur. When I asked about memory capacity he said "you have to beat the competition you know" he also said the flash memory fills the smaller device from top to bottom. Surprisingly he gave some hard numbers: 2.4 million next gen Zunes will be fabricated prior the 2007 holiday season. About 2/3 of them are the smaller flash units. " A new building is currently under construction in Dao Min China, next to the one that makes the XBOX 360" he said. In Zune Scene's opinion, based on that statement, it appears the Zune 2.0 will not be another Toshiba Gigabeat based device.

I also asked about the Zune Phone and he changed the subject and that pretty much ended the conversation unfortunately. So there you have it, the first details of the Zune 2.0 and flash device.
coot66
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
Re: Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »

Hmm, if this is real, some Microsoft employee is probably wishing he didn't have that conversation...

Nice to know the mini Zune will still have a big screen. Wonder what it takes size-wise to "beat the competition"? How many gigs can you stuff into a tiny device?

-The Stuffed Coot66

"I'll sum all the Zunes up in two words. Albus Dumbledore."
-Random Engadget Comment
pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 05:20:46 PM »

Hearing stuff like this really annoys me.  If Microsoft is already designing newer and better Zunes, what will happen to everyone that bought the first Zune.  Will we just be left in the dust?  No more firmware updates, no more support, no more accessories?! 

It's good that Microsoft is making progress, but I'm not too excited about seeing new Zune just yet.
segadc
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 05:24:11 PM »

A reminder from Cesar

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/03/28/firmware-update-1-3-wednesday.aspx

It remains the team’s priority to make sure whichever Zune device you choose to buy - now or in the future – you’ll be able to update your Zune  - and benefit from new features, improvements, etc. For more background, I talked a bit about this with James a while back.
sexycommando
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »

Microsoft made it clear that the first gen Zune will include as many updates and new features as possible (barring hardware differences with new gen Zunes). And from this bit of information about the next gen Zune, it seems like the main hardware differences will be slimmer design and larger capacity hard drive, so I'm guessing there won't be many differences in features besides that. Remember, we are still waiting for a whole stack of features for the 1gen Zune (unicode, podcasts, more wifi functions, etc).

"Beat the competition" probably means the new hard drive Zune will have more capacity than the 80gb iPod (wow who actually has that much music?), OR the flash Zune will have more capacity than the 8gb iPod nano.
AK Water
zune rockstar

iPod Owner, Zune Admirer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:43 PM »

Nothing to surprising there.  All sounds like it could be real.  Whether this story is true or not, I can tell you two things that I think is pretty much "unofficially" confirmed:

1. Microsoft is working on a 2nd gen hard drive based Zune
2. Microsoft is working on a flash based Zune to compete with iPod Nano and Sansa e200 series

The rest of the details are all very unknown.  But I think there is no doubt in my mind both a new Zune with a hdd and a new Zune with flash memory are coming before the end of the year. 

Marketing before form. Form before function. Function before practicality. Apple.
pinkzune
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »

Guys I really wouldn't worry about Zunescene being right on this.  I don't want to come off as a jerk or anything but in my experience in talking with people form MSFT is that they rarely if ever are willing to talk to you beyond anything hypothetical.  I'm not saying that they don't occasionally pass on information but something like this would be uncharacteristic... but thats just one mans opinion. 
In regards to the next gene Zune I wouldn't worry a whole lot about about new products coming online and MSFT no longer supporting the original.  They will keep their base happy and statistically speaking most consumers replace their mp3 player once every 1.6 years.  I'm not saying that everyone does that I'm just saying its something to consider.   
Jander
zune rockstar

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »

I'm all about a bunch of new Zuners flooding the market. I've got some tunes I'd like to share.

"The features of Zune are better than iPod for many people. The features of iPod are better than Zune for many people. We're debating over preference - something any two people may see differently."
-Palmer Deville
Soundtweaker
zune trooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »

I figured the new hard drive based Zunes might be a different size thats why I havent bought any accesories for my Zune. Its just like cell phone companies who change their ports for every new phone so you have to keep buying new AC chargers and adapters.

How do you end up with a million dollars in the record business?    Start with 2 million.
GK86
zune master

You and your third dimension.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »

MS sure doesn't know how to keep secrets huh?  Cheesy

Master Shake: But look, I mean...is he gonna be able to chase us? `Cuz if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run toward the nearest living thing and kill it.
Jander
zune rockstar

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:04:14 PM »

Still, I highly doubt this is legit. The sheer unlikelihood that a Zune team member would blabber out key details is pretty high.  Though the the details could be true, the truth that this happened as related is tough to believe.

"The features of Zune are better than iPod for many people. The features of iPod are better than Zune for many people. We're debating over preference - something any two people may see differently."
-Palmer Deville
Kuji
zune trooper

I <3 my Zune

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »

I like the sound of the flash zune. They better come out in Australia at the same time as the US.
Sw0rdf1sh
zune commando

Mmmmyesss?

sw0rdf1shX
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:56 AM »

Quote from: Jander on April 10, 2007, 10:04:14 PM
Still, I highly doubt this is legit. The sheer unlikelihood that a Zune team member would blabber out key details is pretty high.  Though the the details could be true, the truth that this happened as related is tough to believe.

Agreed.

Jth
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 04:29:45 AM »

What ever maybe true, I sure hope that they will not change the design on the Zune; if they would do it I would shed a Cry

Hopefully they will release a Zune with 120 gb  Shocked ...hey, a man can dream  Grin

xune
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »

microsoft needs to update the zune about every year or 18 months... just like the ipod... just to stay competitive.

i'm not saying that they should abandon old models, but... they've got to keep things fresh.

i was zuning... when zuning wasn't cool...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: Zune 2.0 and Flash Zune Details Leaked « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans