Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 10, 2011, 01:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtues of Wireless Sharing: Random vs. Planned  (Read 2710 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Virtues of Wireless Sharing: Random vs. Planned
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »

From the Zunerama blog:

Wireless song sharing can be used in many different ways. Some assume that it's meant for exchanging songs with strangers - random Zunes that you might encounter in your travels. Is that really what was intended?

So asks Jason at Zune Thoughts, in a thoughtful post about Zune sharing.

"Let's look at the way the WiFi sharing was implemented," he continues. "First, your Zune has to be powered on for the WiFi to work. WiFi also has to be turned on. Next, you have to be within 30 or perhaps 50 feet of another Zune. And if you're listening to music on your Zune, I don't believe there's any sort of audible prompt or interrupt in your music telling you that someone is trying to share music... How often is that really going to happen?"

"The far more common scenario, and the one I believe the Zune was really designed for, is the purposeful sharing of music via WiFi with friends in a social setting. I've done this several times, and it involves two friends, each with a Zune, each with some music they want the other person to check out because they think it's cool. In that scenario, headphones aren't even involved - each person turns on their Zune, finds the music they want to share, and sends it over. It's fast, easy, and I've discovered some really amazing new music that way - music that I never would have discovered if my friend hadn't shared with me."

Makes sense to me. What do you think?

Tanguero
zune trooper

stan.chavez@gmail.com
View Profile
Re: Virtues of Wireless Sharing: Random vs. Planned
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »

I think you discover more than music, you discover something about the person as you both share.  This goes for music as well as pictures.  When sharing pictures you discover a whole new side of your friends.  You share a whole new side of yourself. 

Lov'in Phoenix
coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »

Quote from: Zunerama Ed. on March 25, 2007, 10:06:19 PM
From the Zunerama blog:

"The far more common scenario, and the one I believe the Zune was really designed for, is the purposeful sharing of music via WiFi with friends in a social setting. I've done this several times, and it involves two friends, each with a Zune, each with some music they want the other person to check out because they think it's cool. In that scenario, headphones aren't even involved - each person turns on their Zune, finds the music they want to share, and sends it over. It's fast, easy, and I've discovered some really amazing new music that way - music that I never would have discovered if my friend hadn't shared with me."

Makes sense to me. What do you think?

I disagree. I was impressed with the wireless sharing feature; I saw it as a possibility of making new friends rather than just keeping old ones. Sure, sharing songs with people you know is cool, but it obviously won't give the same thrill as randomly receiving a song or picture when you're in a public place.

-The Public Coot66

Retired Zune Master/Ambassador. Zune Enthusiast. Zunerama Moderator.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »

Planned sharing should happen far far more. Random sharing is far cooler.  Both offer smiles. Smiley

coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

Planned sharing seems a little corny, doesn't it? It'd be kind of weird to get together to just share songs. Sharing should be a spontaneous thing (ie. dude, did you hear that new song by Britney Spears? No? Well, I'll send it over) rather than a coordinated activity (ie. here are my favorite songs. What are yours? Let's do this again next week).

-The Spontaneous Coot66

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:32:42 AM »

Quote from: coot66 on March 27, 2007, 11:17:15 AM
Planned sharing seems a little corny, doesn't it? It'd be kind of weird to get together to just share songs. Sharing should be a spontaneous thing (ie. dude, did you hear that new song by Britney Spears? No? Well, I'll send it over) rather than a coordinated activity (ie. here are my favorite songs. What are yours? Let's do this again next week).

-The Spontaneous Coot66

I tend to look at it as planned = close friends who also have zunes and you often share songs back and forth vs random where you notice a stranger that has a Zune and you share a song in passing.

I don't think many would ever plan to share on a weekly basis or something, "Dude, meet me back here, same Zune time, same Zune channel!"  But I'd actually go to a Barnes and Nobel on a Monthly basis and share songs with a bunch of fellow Zuners.

coot66
Global Moderator
zune master

The Coot King

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »

You mean like one of these events except with friends? Well, truth is I only know one Zuner, and I don't really like him. Do most or a lot of your friends have Zunes?

-The Disliking Coot66

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:29:35 PM »

i know 2 people with zunes. both of which i don't talk to much.

ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »

I agree with the article...I seriously doubt the occurrence of random sharing will be likely to take place very often…I have several friends who have zunes and it seems like we are always sending songs to one another when we get together….nothing that is “planned”  for instance…we don’t call each other and say…”Hey let’s hook up to share some songs” That in my opinion would be kinda lame…However we do share songs we like…or I will pick up my friends zune and browse through their library....If I see something I like…I will ask him to send it to me or send it to my zune myself….I have found several albums I have liked this way!! For this…zune wifi sharing is pretty sweet…
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List