Zunerama logo   
News: Register to join Zunerama forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 10, 2011, 02:42:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incipio contest: DESIGN YOUR OWN ZUNE CASE  (Read 23350 times)
admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
Incipio contest: DESIGN YOUR OWN ZUNE CASE
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

Zunerama is pleased to announce another exciting Zune case contest from Incipio!!

This contest has a twist. We're interested in your design ideas... and this is an opportunity for you to design your own Zune case! So get creative, and post your Zune case ideas as replies to this thread. You can describe your case ideas, or - better yet - use a graphics program to show a mock-up of your Zune case design.

We'll be giving away prizes every week for 8 weeks, from Friday March 23 through Friday May 11.

For the first 7 weeks, we'll draw from the submitted entries to give a winner his or her choice of a Incipio Zune case.

And in the final week, we'll select one GRAND PRIZE WINNER who will receive:

1. $250 in Marketplace Points, AND...

2. Incipio will CREATE a version of the custom case that you designed, for you to keep!!

Get your submission in early, to be eligible for all 7 weekly drawings and for the grand prize..!!

Details:

To enter, post a reply in this thread, with a picture or graphic (or a description) of your case design. Multiple submissions are fine.

Not sure how to post a picture? Click to see how. (It's easy.)

Decisions of judges are final. By submitting an entry, you agree to waive any claims or rights to the case design.

Winners for the first 7 weeks will be selected randomly, and will receive an Incipio case of their choice. The winner in week 8 will be selected by the judges, and will receive $250 in Marketplace Points, and a case from Incipio based on the winning design.

Zunerama will send an email message to the selected winner (using the email address from your profile). (Ensure your email address is valid. If we get an email bounce-back, or don't get a reply to the email within 14 days, you won't get the prize.)

We'll contact you via email to get your shipping address and your case selection, and will post the names of the winners in this thread.

Good luck! And thanks to Incipio for the contest! See Incipio's cases for Zune at http://www.myincipio.com/category/1zune_accessories/

WINNERS:
Fri Mar 23: Agaryulnaer
Fri Mar 30: krazylegs
Fri Apr 06: blackmanwhitezune
Fri Apr 13: pateen4u14
Fri Apr 20: Trastan
Fri Apr 27: crazyb3e
Fri May 04: Odayer
Fri May 11: Bunnystyle (Grand Prize Winner)

*Added 3/19/07: Zune 3D model for SketchUp users. Thanks to SamFishersFan for creating a 3D Sketchup model of Zune. The scaling may be a little off, but if you're a SketchUp user, you can use these as a starting point:

Zune player: http://www.zunerama.com/docs/zune-sketchup-model.skp
Zune case: http://www.zunerama.com/docs/zune-case-sff.skp
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:33:18 PM by admin » Logged
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Incipio contest: DESIGN YOUR OWN ZUNE CASE
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »

basic case or case that can hold accesories / other gadgets ?
materilas the case could use ?
u.s. citzens?

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »

Great questions. Incipio will be active in this thread, so I'll let them chime in here - - but to answer your first question: Incipio is wide open to ideas, so don't limit yourself to basic case ideas.

I believe the basic construction material would be leather - - but I'll let Incipio clarify that, as well as the U.S. question.

Thanks Ricardo - we'll get back with more asap.

incipio
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »

Quote from: Ricardo Dawkins on March 01, 2007, 11:01:34 AM
basic case or case that can hold accessories / other gadgets ?
materials the case could use ?
u.s. citizens?

Hi There!

Hi Guys!

Materials are up in the air at this point  - We will comment as the contest continues - We want to hear what you want!  Tell us about your dream case and why.  Sorry, we do have to limit it to US Citizens (or residents actually), but that doesnt mean you can't comment.  Everyones feedback is much appreciated.

Please feel free to post your questions here on the forum.  We will update soon with some drawings and images for you to use as a starting point.

Thanks!

Andy F. 
pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »

cool contest...let's see if i can remember all that Inventor programming i did back in high school!
zbroszczyk
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:02 PM »

im in.left side orange and right side green with a green star on the left side and an orange star on the right.
scoutflyer
zune master

lookin' ahead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:32:07 PM »

Okay well I don't have a rendering program (actually my dad does but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it) So anyway, the idea is that it is a leather case, thin, with either just ink marked or burned in diagonal lines opposing each other, over and over, in a dark gray/black color, the bottom will be closed except for a perfect eliptical cut out for the port, the corners will be open/closed haven't figured that out yet, sides could be open or have the case wrap around just the side edges to protect them, case will open either like a book or more likely, up. Could have another layer underneath, that you could unhook both, and using the snaps (if not magnets) attach to the already present snaps on the other side to create a kickstand. Like I said, its up in the air. But that's what I got. Already tried to actually make it out of leather, messed up a few times, and ran out of leather. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:35:27 PM by scoutflyer » Logged

"to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre
 Touch the Sky
 Road To State NHS-CC-07
 [Day of Reckoning 11/24/07]
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:20:37 PM »

Our first entries!! Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming!!

pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »

I had trouble getting Inventor to work so i just screwed around with AutoCAD trying to make one.  This is just a quick sketch.  I wanted to make an aluminum case.  It's more scratch resistant than acrylic and I like the brushed metal look of aluminum cases.

Casing: Lightweight aircraft grade scratch-resistant anodized aluminum, .3mm thick. 
The edges of the case would be somewhat rounded.  (I wasn't able to show it in AutoCAD)

Lining: Neoprene lining that acts as a cushion and keeps the Zune in place.

Screen protector: Hard plastic, non-removable.

Extra wide control cutout to accomodate large fingers.  (many cases out there for the zune make it hard to press the buttons.

Easy access openings for headphones, hold button, and sync cable.

Style: Flip open style like this.  There would be a double hinge on the bottom on either side of the opening.  There would be two small clips on the top (one on each side of the hold button) to secure the two sides of the case together. *UPDATED*

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:06:03 AM by pulse » Logged
Agaryulnaer
lil zuner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 11:18:56 PM »

Ok so I came up with a few mock up images.  I noticed there are alot of cases out there and there are skins.  But what I don't see, or haven't came across yet, are cases, with the skin designs on the case themselves.  So, my design or mockups, are Incipio cases with designs on them, like a skin.

The first two mockups, are Incipio silicon cases with simple vector designs

These next two, are leather cases, with designs on them, probably some form of laminate or grease rubber.

And finally my own creation.  A leather case, with flipping visor.  A metalic insignia on the top of the visor, a vector design in gradient, in some form of laminate or grease rubber.  And more grungey flares on the sides, again, in laminate or grease rubber.

sketchy62
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »

juss wondering...

do you guys, incipio

hire?

^____^

like an internship?

SamFishersFan
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »

This is my case, sorry it is really crappy, But the point of it was an aluminum backing on the back and sides, then on the front a piece of scrath resistant plastic. 

Casing:
aluminum backing with scratch resistant plastic

Lining: on the alunum I would like to have a really soft suede like material on, on the plastic though nothing.

Other: extra wide gaps around the hold, sync and headphone jacks also have a zune lable burned into the backing of the metal

PS- sorry about the shape it looks more like an iPod case...  Sad

PS PS - sorry I said the "i" word   Cheesy

***UPDATE***
      Can I post a Google Sketchup Image?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:05:43 PM by SamFishersFan » Logged

"Is she a normal girl or a mean girl?" Caboose
"What did I tell you about girls?" Church
"There are no normal girls." Caboose
Caboose and Church
RvB episode 80something
Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »

Wow, what a fantastic idea. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to enter, but huge kudos to Incipio for making this happen, and for choosing Zunerama to host it.

While it's likely that I won't be able to find the time to enter, I do have a few general suggestions:

1. The number one problem in cases is that so many are poorly constructed. If I'm going to expect to keep my Zune in a case, I need it both looking awesome and built to last. I went to Target the other day to look at their Zune cases, and while I'm not sure which brand of case they had for the Zune, it was horrible. The face button holes were off-center, they were thin and shoddy, and the belt clip was flimsy. Overbuild your cases and you should be good. (Note: You guys may already have this philosophy, and if so, good on you! I haven't used an Incipio case yet, so I wouldn't know.)

2. A great selling point for many Zune owners was the unique and professional look of the Zune. Anything you can do to compliment its unique interface and double-shot look is vital. This is, of course, very difficult to do, but it's something to keep in mind as you (and everyone here) are designing.

3. Quality belt clip attachment! I can't stress this enough. Keeping my Zune on my belt lets me carry it everywhere without holding it, and I need a case that has a belt clip that can take a serious beating. As an example of how important this is to me, I'm currently using an old Incase holster for the iPod, which is basically a piece of leather folded over itself to hold the player within, simply because it has a built-in, solid metal belt clip.

4. I support having a built-in screen protector, but I've yet to see one (that comes with a case) that's worth anything (outside of that iSkin one above.) Remember, the screen protector is supposed to be super-sturdy, and highly protective. Make it so it can take a beating, and still come out shining.

I'm sure I'll be able to add some later, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head. By the way, I'm expecting that I'll love whatever case is decided on here, so I'm curious as to how soon it would be available for order (sooner for Zunerama members, perhaps? Smiley ).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:06:45 PM by Trastan » Logged

Visit my portfolio.
eagleo
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 12:01:25 AM »

I don't know if this contest is about the case material or only the appearance or both... I am not good about the material things.. i just want to design the style of the case..

Here are my first three entries:

and here is the special edition for white zuners:

My idea is based on the style of the rectangle in which only three out of four angle are rounded. You guys can see that the top right of the shape of the case, the screen, the nav-pad, etc are not rounded. The same style for the buttons.. however the Play button is flipped horizontally. The Zune logos are stylized at the front; and you can see on the side and the bottom, the texture is simply based on the arrangement of the logo.

In addition, the screen protector is underneath the case. You can slip your zune from the top. I am not sure about the design of the top; it depends on the manufacturer.

It would be great if this can be made by leather and/or has armband. Any feedbacks are welcome!
I am working on some more complicated cases.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:04:41 PM by eagleo » Logged
hpatootp92
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »

i want a case with a clip that u can attach to ur waste. it has to be sturdy. i also want the plastic covering the screen to be SCRATCH RESISTANT. im tired of buying a 30$ case and it getting scratched in 1 week. the reason i buy a case is to protect the zune from scratching but its pointless when the cover of the case is also scratched. it makes the zune screen look ugly.

p.s. i dont really mind if the screen protecter isnt plastic. as long as its scratch resistant
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List