Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2007, 11:23:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Accessories (Moderator: aaron00lee)  |  Topic: custom car cradle..... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: custom car cradle.....  (Read 1301 times)
ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
custom car cradle.....
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »

I  have been wanting a car cradle that I can just drop my zune into and go.....I know some are on the horizon but for me ...waiting is never an option so I decided to build my own...I have two home docking cradles for the zune  and I figured I could make one of them a car docking cradle......I took pics along the way and will describe the build for you in case you want to build your own...Its really easy..trust me! Here is a pic of the finished product

First off I needed a car holder of some kind. I noticed the generic cup holder that  thehikingdude had found in another forum post so I did some research:

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/uch100bl.php 

I decided that this was my best option...Flexible shaft, wide openings for the device and very multi-purpose. I found that Best Buy had them in stock so I went to the store and purchased the cup holder mount. They also have the suction mount as well if you need that! I brought it home and assembled all my items:

• the mount
  • zune docking cradle
  • jb weld (two part epoxy mix you can find at any home improvement store)
  • mixing tool for the jb weld
  • my zune
  • razor blad knife
  • zune car charger

first thing i wanted to do is pop out the silver ring on the cradle...it was simply a matter of sticking the tip of the razor blad knife at the top of the cradle and twisting....there is a tab at the bottom next to the writing so if your not careful you can break it off...I know it doesnt really matter but I wanted to keep it intact for possible future use...

Next was placing my zune in the cradle...and placing the holder around it....This is important for making sure the zune is snug in the cradle and is at the right angle. ...I put the holder around the zune and clamped the arms tightly around it....(Note that I turned the holder upside down to have easy access to the release button.

Once I had the right angle and was sure my Zune was properly seated in the cradle I mixed up some of the jb weld using a peice of the packaging that came with the mount.....I squeezed out two eqal portions of the epoxy and stirred it up.......

I then placed the mixed JB weld on the corners and along the front edge of the holder....Placed it back around my zune which is still in the cradle and clamped the arms tightly against the Zune.....being very careful as to not get any JB weld on the zune itself as this stuff is wicked to get off...And when its dry its like steel....

Now I let it dry....checking on it from time to time....and then let it sit overnight to dry completely..The next day I popped out my Zune and tested the weld gingerly at first and then more vigorously .....SUCCESS!!!

Now came the final step...hooking it up in my car! I placed the lower half of the cup holder mount in my cup holder and tested it to see how secure it was....It came with velcro for the bottom and I wanted to get away from using that....However with the wieght of the zune and the holder itself....I realized it was needed...So i followed the instructions on the mount packaging and installed the velcro....Next was placing the holder on the shaft of the mount....And then popping my zune in....hooking up my mini jack mp3 line hooked up to the back of my stereo and the car chager plug. I turned on the car and cranked up the tunes.......................How sweet it is....It's a clean, easy to use system now...I just drop in the Zune clamp the arms tight and go!!!

This was a fairly inexpensive and easy way for me to get a cradle for my Zune in my car.....Plus it allows me portability to my wifes car when we are taking trips. I already had my aux line hooked up and the extra home docking cradle.

There are two minor drawbacks to this option however:
  • it only plays music through the cradle/dock when the car charger is plugged in and there is power to it
  • and when you shut off the power and restart the volume resets to very loud.....and the only way to adjust that is with the remote that comes with the cradle/dock

so you will need power to the cradle/dock and you will need the remote....However its kinda cool being able to use the remote for your tunes in the car......

Hope you enjoyed and if you decide to build one...Good luck! If you have questions please let me know....I really like the bracketron holder....the best I have ever had!

thehikingdude
zune trooper

View Profile Email
Re: custom car cradle.....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »

Thanks for the write up. What do you think of the cradle itself? Would it work well by itself without the dock?

Blackie - "Tell him to go suck it"
ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »

yes....its a great dock! Its flexible...and very easy to use..The only drawback is that you have to use the velcro to help secure the dock to the bottom of the cupholder. I was hoping the auto-adjusting cup expansion part of the dock would press against the sides of the cup holder so I wouldnt need it...........But other than that...I think its a great product and would recommend it to anyone..........

Plus another cool feature about the dock/holder/mount is that you can rotate it ....so if your sitting still you can watch videos on the ZUNE or veiw pics.......
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:04:22 PM by ryango119 » Logged
netjonze
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:48:41 AM »

how do you power the dock in your car? Isn't is ac power? Or does the car charger work to power the dock?
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »

Wow, Ryango, that is brilliant! I admire your ingenuity.

Mind if I post one of your pics on our main page..?

tbird
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:28:42 PM »

Why is your passenger side airbag turned off?Huh
Besides that, Pretty cool! And a brown Zune as well... Grin
If you decide to market this, I will buy one.

Long Live the Zune 30!
ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:47 PM »

ED- yes you can put this on the front page if ya want......

t-bird......lol---- i turned off the passenger side airbag cause no one rides with me....and if i do get in a wreck..guess which airbag i wont have to replace??? Grin

also as an update....I did have to install a filter to reduce alternator whine....after i did that...perfect audio

i picked up this ground loop isolater at radio shack!!
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-see-all-needs-and-wants--pi-2062214.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:25:26 PM by ryango119 » Logged
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 05:55:18 PM »

OK, you're on the Zunerama blog. Thanks for the great how-to..!!

If there was a MacGyver award for Zuners, you would get my vote..!

ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »

ha....thanks ed!
Pages: [1] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  Zune Accessories (Moderator: aaron00lee)  |  Topic: custom car cradle..... « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans