Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2007, 02:56:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: About battery life « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: About battery life  (Read 5097 times)
ronaldmonster
zune commando

ronaldmonster thatblackguytep
View Profile Email
About battery life
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:26:25 AM »

Ok well I just wanted to give everyone an explanation as to why the actual battery life only last 7-8 hours not the 14-16 hours Microsoft originally boasted.

Well see first of all it's like when they test a car, they don't actually drive it. They put it on a platform with a single gallon of gas, switch it on, and let these pedestals turn the tires until it's out of gas they calculate the car got X amount miles on a single gallon, we'll just say 40. But what they don't tell you is, that when wind resistance, going fast, traffic, etc you may end up with 28 instead of the original 40 as promised.

But you see where I'm going?

Like the Zune or iPOD or any other mp3 player on the market. The way they test it is, go to play list, click shuffle music and let it play until the battery is completely dead. They say it X amount of time before it went dead we will say 8 hours. But what they didn't test was, you accessing the hard drive, you looking at pictures, watching a 20 minute video, etc. And when all that is said and done you only have 3 hours of battery life.

So don't feel like your battery is defective or anything it's just the way everything is tested. Even the iPOD is getting the same amount of battery life.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:39:29 AM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Quote from: Jander on October 08, 2007, 01:27:22 AM
Quote from: ronaldmonster on October 08, 2007, 12:35:56 AM
why you gotta hack so much!?

That's my new catch phrase.
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Everyone who wonders about bad battery life come here for an explanation.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »

Yes, that is true. All manufacturers test their batteries under optimal conditions.

Even if your ambient temperature is different, your results will vary from the laboratory tests.

rj1790
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »

Nice explanation! Should be sticked Grin
segadc
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »

Yup nice thread
ronaldmonster
zune commando

ronaldmonster thatblackguytep
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »

Thanks ^_^

Quote from: Jander on October 08, 2007, 01:27:22 AM
Quote from: ronaldmonster on October 08, 2007, 12:35:56 AM
why you gotta hack so much!?

That's my new catch phrase.
wutaday09
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »

finally something i can understand
AK Water
zune rockstar

iPod Owner, Zune Admirer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

Yes that is true, you make a good point.

My three year old 3rd gen iPod is supposed to get 8 hours of battery life, but in regular use its more like 4 hours these days.  My Sony PSP lasts longer than my iPod during normal use. 

If you told me in 2001 that Apple and Microsoft where gonna be number 1 and 2 in this market by 2007, I probably would have called you crazy. 
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:42 PM »

great explanation!

some tips i read on how to get the most out of your battery life:
set the backlight to low
set the backlight to no more than 30 secs (i have mine on 15)
listen to songs on shuffle, or by the album. less player interaction = more battery life.

just some off the top of my head. does anyone know if listening to songs at higher volumes drains the battery faster?

inflamesfan018
zune commando

jesterheads united

inflamesfan018@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »

that is how i thought of it, good thing i'm not the only one, but how much does temperature actually affect it Ed?

You taught my heart, a sense i never knew i had, i can't forget the times that i was lost and depressed from the awful truth, how do you do it, you're my Heroine
You won't leave me alone, chisel my heart out of stone, i give in every time.
Zunerama Ed.
Global Moderator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »

Quote from: inflamesfan018 on February 09, 2007, 08:46:56 AM
that is how i thought of it, good thing i'm not the only one, but how much does temperature actually affect it Ed?

Lithium-ion batteries like the one in your Zune work best at room temperature. Performance is reduced as the temperature drops - e.g. as the temperature gets very cold (below zero Fahrenheit), the battery may not deliver sufficient output to power its device. Li-Ion batteries have higher output at higher temperatures - which is not a bad thing - but they also discharge faster at high temperatures.

The battery will work fine at a pretty wide range of temperatures (Li-Ion is generally rated at -4F to 140F), with diminished performance at the low end, and diminished battery life at the high end. (It's one of the challenges of having Li-Ion batteries in a warm laptop computer.)

I imagine in battery life tests, that the temperature is set at room temperature. It's possible you'd find measurable differences in battery life as the temperature varied above or below room temperature.

More info is available at battery university.

loomis
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

Temp plays a big role in ANY battery's life.  Sub zero temps will suck the life out of all batteries rather quickly.  I left my Zune (with about half charge) in my car while new car shopping on Tuesday (didn't Shut Down, just held the play pause until it powered down).  Temp was a Balmy 1 degree Farhenheit.  Within 2.5 hours it was totally dead!!  When I tried to turn it on, the battery with the exclamation mark was all that would show.

a href="http://www.last.fm/user/loomis88/?chartstyle=Morrison">[/url]
motorxchick
zune dog

hdrider465
View Profile Email
Re: About battery life
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »

woah... i never knew that. i did kinda think it wasnt getting as much as it should. thanks for clearing that up!  Grin
Kuji
zune trooper

I <3 my Zune

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 03:02:01 AM »

Anyone know how long the battery lasts if you just leave it playing the radio?
aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 03:16:18 AM »

My PSP had a good battery life

Douf_Douf
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

hehe i was wandering why, not even an hour and y zune had already 1 battery bar down

but my creative zen vision:M(which broke and still under warranty and they were out of stock so i just went for the Zune+$50 instore credit) can last about 11 hours even with picture and music flick searches.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Zune Boards  |  General Discussions (Moderators: Zunerama Ed., pulse, Jander)  |  Topic: About battery life « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans