Zunerama logo   
News: Find Zune accessories

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 10, 2011, 01:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My recommendation....  (Read 330 times)
Brandycat
zune commando

English as Tuppence

View Profile
My recommendation....
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »

....for what it's worth, is the new album by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, (same album title)
 I downloaded it the other week, and forgot about it untill the other day, I was waiting for my wife to return from shopping (again) in the car, and thought I'd check it out, I was really knocked out by it and let it play through again (she does spend ages in the shops) Angry

Now I took ages to get into Oasis, and only like some of the stuff they did (Don't look back in anger stands out)
But I always thought Noel was the more gifted (?) of the brothers.

This album is great, It is a really full sound and lyrically good too. I hear traces of The Beatles and (to my ears), early Pink Floyd.

When I got home I looked on Amazon as I thought I would buy it, I chose the Vinyl over the CD because (I think) it's a much warmer sound, and yes, it sounds great, it has been on the turntable for a few days now...

So I can recommend you give it a listen...

Mind you, this feels like I'm talking to an empty warehouse just lately on here!

Has any body else heard any music just lately that stands out?

DesertZUne
zune trooper

View Profile
Re: My recommendation....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »

I listen to classic jazz and classical music, primarily. But I gotta say...I love that you bought it on vinyl! On the home system we listen to CD's most often. However, hubby and I are from the vinyl era, and whenever we put a symphony on the turntable, the difference is night and day. Bigger, fuller, richer, warmer. It is actually pretty depressing to know what we are missing most of the time.

Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 81% full

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »

I just downloaded it I'll give it a listen. I haven't been listening to much new music lately. I've been busy listening to audiobooks. But I'm burning out on those, so I'll probably get back into more music for a while. I did download a new album by Kina Grannis. (She's the vocalist in the great viral video making the rounds... a whole music video made with 288,000 jelly bellies. In Your Arms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOu0DuxFAT0)

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Tuppence

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »

Wow, just saw how they made the video, that's some dedication! 2 years in the making, she has a nice voice, which album of hers did you d/load?

Been reading a lot too, but audio books make me fall asleep!

Mockers
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

Quote from: Brandycat on November 28, 2011, 04:54:23 AM
Wow, just saw how they made the video, that's some dedication! 2 years in the making, she has a nice voice, which album of hers did you d/load?

Been reading a lot too, but audio books make me fall asleep!
I downloaded her Stairwells album.
I haven't listened to the whole High Flying Birds album, but it's pretty good! Plus I think my son will like it, too.
I find the best time to listen to audio books is while I am puttering around the house... laundry, dishes, etc. Stuff that I don't have to think too much while doing, yet I have to stay awake! LOL  I try to listen while riding the bus to work, but I do tend to doze off. Have to rewind quite a bit.

charms55
zune master

Remember: No Matter Where you Go...There You Are

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:22:18 AM »

This is why I love Zune and the Zune community. I have found many friends through here. I listen to what you're playing and to me, being able to turn around from here and with my Zune Pass I can be listening to the same tunes within minutes is worth the price.

I have to admit lately mine has been a cross between picking up copies of sone of the vinyl and r-to-r I had in the States and exploring new. One album I had forgotten about  but helped to tie me to a friend here is "Warm" by Herb Alpert and the TJB. A&M records launched so many careers and though they are gone and Alpert essentially created one of the best studio bands and double tracked his playing to create the TJB, Brazil 66, Baha Marimba Band...this album stands out. Including Shorty Rogers and orchestra it is alternately playful and lush.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:25:39 AM by charms55 » Logged

I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Mockers
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »

Quote from: charms55 on November 29, 2011, 06:22:18 AM
One album I had forgotten about  but helped to tie me to a friend here is "Warm" by Herb Alpert and the TJB. A&M records launched so many careers and though they are gone and Alpert essentially created one of the best studio bands and double tracked his playing to create the TJB, Brazil 66, Baha Marimba Band...this album stands out. Including Shorty Rogers and orchestra it is alternately playful and lush.
Oh, I LOVE Herb Alpert! About 3 lifetimes ago I bought 2 of their LPs -- Whipped Cream is the one I played so much I wore it out! I never liked the other similar bands as much, but Brasil 66 came in a close second.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Tuppence

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »

Herp Albert is a legend, I remember 'This Guy's In Love With You' in the sixties, never checked his albums out , but will now, and I'll have a listen to Stairwells album too.

and to answer Desert Zune, yes you can't beat vinyl, especially through valves!

The reason I posted is I don't know what to listen to next, I seem to hear the same things a lot of the time, it would be nice if the MM was started up again Smiley

but I guess it probably had run it's course, it's just sad that I only cottoned on to it at the end

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »

I've been simply hitting the Music arrow lately and letting come what may. I've been playing the used HD mostly and it has about 1/2 the stuff on it as my regular. What I found is I am getting a little fresher mix. Stuff I'd forgotten.

Mockers. There is a cover album of the tunes from the Whipped Cream album that you might enjoy looking into. I think it is called Fresh Cream or some such thing. Interesting takes on classic tunes.

Alpert has a great album of standards out with his wife who was the lead singer with Brazil 66. She is featured on some of his TJB albums as well. Wonderful album.

Mockers
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

Quote from: charms55 on November 29, 2011, 03:35:00 PM
Mockers. There is a cover album of the tunes from the Whipped Cream album that you might enjoy looking into. I think it is called Fresh Cream or some such thing. Interesting takes on classic tunes.

Alpert has a great album of standards out with his wife who was the lead singer with Brazil 66. She is featured on some of his TJB albums as well. Wonderful album.

I'll have to check out that Fresh Cream album. I do already have the new one with his wife, titled I Feel You.

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »

My recommendation ....Zune Pass.

Went to my Xbox last night ...cued up Dia Frampton 'Red.' liked it...followed Related to Ellie Goulding....

Last night on my PC downloaded both. Synced my Zune and then used my 10 credits to buy 'Red.'

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Tuppence

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »

Yes, I'll certainly endorse that recommendation, the Zune Pass still is wonderful. #1 in VFM, and also great with music discovery...

Charms, as a Beatles fan; what is your impression of the High Flying Birds? if you have time to listen that is Smiley try track 5 Record Machine if you like

just interested that's all...

cheers

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »

Good stuff, Brandy. Maybe it is my Beatles roots. I really like good production value.

And I am just finishing up December 8th here. What a crappy day in 1980. Does anyone else just feel a little emptier and angry of what was taken from us then? Maybe everyone should give "Double Fantasy" a twirl today. Just for yucks.

And when you finish that, give "Empty Garden" by Elton John a go. Best Lennon tribute song ever.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Tuppence

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »

Yes, I do still feel a sense of loss, a bloody act by a total madman; I remember as if it was yesterday,

John seemed so happy after that long sojourn, and was back recording some good stuff.

Was it 'Watching the Wheels' and 'Starting Over' around that time? I love those numbers.

Double Fantasy? why in heavens name didn't I get that?

I will address that immediately!

thanks for the nod Smiley

*update*
I looked for it in Marketplace, and it was greyed out/not available,
so I found Double Fantasy Stripped back, which is a remaster from 2010, It sounds different to how I remember it, not sure if I prefer it or not...
I'm looking for the original now.
Some reviews say the original was over produced, but it's how I remember it,

but having said that, I must say the stripped down production of the 2010 remastered version does show his voice up front,

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:07:55 AM by Brandycat » Logged

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

Lennon never liked the way his voice sounded, so in the Beatles he ws constantly asking for ways to change it. Much of his stuff following the breakup was dripping with effects and echo. Almost became a signature.

I have listend to much of Stripped down and to be honest I am not really impresses. Like you, I did hear things with his vocal upfront I didn7t hear before, but you are right that the way I remember them is different. Also, the album has a lot of fluff for Yoko, which I could definitely do without, but there is a sense of more to come...something we were denied.

I know I downloaded the Double Fantasy before, so that is one that has disappeared. I think I have also icked up the CD here and I have the vinyl back in the States. Yeah, much like JFK's assasination, I can remember where I was, what I heard.

If you are into listening the way I think many things should be, take a gander at "Let It Be Naked." Outtakes and alternate recording during their sessions and without the Phil Spector touch. Nice album and it does the same....brings many things ina a better package than the original. Closer to their intention for the sets.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List