Zunerama logo Zune HD  
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 28, 2012, 06:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Phone.  (Read 4690 times)
Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
Re: Windows Phone.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »

I hope you are not disappointed when you do finally get it,

when I got my HTC Mozart it was on a different carrier (Orange) I had it unlocked and my SIM (O2) worked straight away.
(my original phone on O2 was an old Nokia 5800, not a WP7 phone at all)

and if you currently have a micro SIM in your iphone, with one of those adapters previously mentioned, it should work Smiley

something like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Sim-Card-Standard-Sim-Card-Adapter-Black-/170739587400?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item27c0df5948#ht_2468wt_1139

sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick again Wink

charms1955
zune master

Remember: No Matter Where you Go...There You Are

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »

They tried to deliver my phone 2 times while I was away yesterday, so today it will come to my office....Full report later!

Wanna know my real plays? Add 15,201 to the above.
Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 90% full

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »

How exciting! Take your time... check out all the bells and whistles first. Smiley

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »

Well, true to form, SoftBank has everything shut down. The iPhone SIM card works for phone, but I can't access my data network. A visit to Softbank I was informed they could not support a phone not certified for Japan (special symbol) and basically blamed the fact that I am on iPhone for the fact I can't just switch. I had a Toshiba Windows Mobile 6.x prior to the last phone I had before going with the iphone. But apparently that doesn't matter. They would not sell me a new SIM card. Boils down to they would like to sell me another phone. My guess is if I had another smartphone besides an iPhone, the card would work completely.

Looking for a work around on the wireless now...probably cost me to do something else. We'll see.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »

That's a bummer Charms, I just looked on WP Central prior to reading your post,
 it's probably academic now, but I'll paste this in anyway, it's part of an article by Harry McCracken at CNET, regarding the SIM in the iphone being transferred to the Nokia Lumia 800:

"Recently, I popped the SIM card out of my iPhone 4S, put it in a Lumia 800 handset loaned to me by Nokia, and lived with Windows Phone 7.5 for over a week. I not only lived to tell the tale, but enjoyed doing so. In most respects that matter, Microsoft's mobile software is terrific..."

please bear with me, so Softbank is your carrier, right? how does it know that you are using another phone?

hope you sort something out though...

*update*
Charms, have you tried the HTC free app 'connection set up' ?
Assuming you can download it, or it might be pre installed on your phone, that worked for me

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:36:47 PM by Brandycat » Logged

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »

No go on anything so far. Got some interesting advice on the WPCentral site, but not getting anywhere fast.

I did try the Configuration app, but as someone there pointed out, that takes precedence over any apn I add separately, so I uninstalled the Configuration app and the phone stated "Add apn" instead of edit. Did that, still found the SoftBank network, but won't connect for data. Grrrrr

All I want is for Softbank to replace the iPhone sim card, which is what is at the heart of this, with a card that will work. No go.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 05:00:54 AM »

Charms,
just to be clear, it is the HTC app called 'Connection Set' up that you are using?

I opened the app and clicked 'share' and sent the link to my email address, this:
http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=5edbdbbc-2ab2-df11-8a2f-00237de2db9e

however ....when clicked, it said 'app couldn't be found in Marketplace'  Huh maybe because it's an HTC app?.

so here is a screen shot of my phone:

my mate at work (who knows more than I do) says it shouldn't conflict, after all, this app has been on my phone from the start;
and like I said before he used the SIM from his iphone4, and like you it didn't work until he used the above app. (it definitely is in the HTC app search)

There is a 'manual set up' (in the 3 dots menu) and we searched and entered Japan, and the only carrier was Softbank , but you can manually enter some settings.

I really hope you can sort this soon, it must be a ball ache
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:49:38 AM by Brandycat » Logged

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

Hi Brandy. Yep, that was what I was using. It is an HTC app and it appears in my marketplace under "HTC apps" so even though I have deleted it, I can reinstall it if I need to.

When I run it, it finds the country and carrier fine. Then it clears everything from the APN settings if I have added anything. And still no go on the data network.

I think this is gonna boil down to Sofbank caving and letting me get a new card. I have even toyed with buying the cheapest phone there (not iPhone) so they will change the carrd out and trying with a different SIM. They are just being obstinent. Of course, this leads to tremendous arguing between my wife and I regarding Japan and "following the rules." Real mine field there!  Cheesy Would that Japan would follow the lead of the rest of the world on many fronts. But I digress! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:08:41 AM by charms55 » Logged

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 03:23:58 AM »

Oh, ok, so looks like it is the SIM then, have you tried the card in another phone? (not i phone)

there's got to be an answer to this....but I'm sure you will get it sorted...soon I hope

and hey - no point arguing with the Wife, you will never win Grin

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 05:08:03 AM »

Hey!!!!! As I write this, I think I might have it. I will move forward quite cautiously and wait to see there is not a scream from the wife when the bill arrives.

Here is how today passed: I was resigned to trying to unlock the iPhone again so I plopped the SIM back in there. Got nowhere with that and plunked it back into the Titan. Now it found the network, but no 3G connection. Tried the setting from Softbank and nothing. Then, went back later to discover it again said "Add APN" not edit. So, one last time I looked up the settings for the Black Softbank SIM. But this time, I turned off the 3G. When it finished whirling and churning, I flipped off the WiFi and hit Bing. All 'appears" to be working as it should. Toggled in and out if WiFi and worked. Wandered down the street and had 3G.

Like I said ....a little worried, but I just might have it. Can I take my phone with me to prison if not? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:14:28 AM by charms55 » Logged

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »

I hope so Charms!

bet there was a spring in your step as you wandered down the street!

Have you a Data allowance with Softbank? mine is 1gb, and I get a warning text if I get too close.

Hey now you can really play with the phone now, have you checked marketplace out yet?

you are welcome to any hints and tips  Wink

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »

We have what is called the White Plan which includes  a flat fee unlimited packet plan. This is one reason. I didn't want to leave Softbank. I make very few calls but the wife calls her mother a lot.

I will definitely pick your brain for ideas in the Marketplace. Japan is missing lots of apps, most notably for me the Kindle. Also, no Xbox companion yet.

Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »

Man. You should have go with the cousin of the N9. The N9 is a marvel. Puts my Vibrant to shame. hehe.

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

Hey Brandycat. Now that I have had a few weeks to look at this, I love the WP7. And the Titan is super fast, bright screen, big but not too big.

But, of course, there are things I am missing. For example, as I only have a Japanese credit card now, I registered the phone with the Japanese site, though I have my region and language set for the US. (Funny though...as this was obviously a UK/destined device, it insists on adding the "extraneous" 'u' to words like colour, favourites, etc). This means I can't download and install apps that are allowed on the US site, but not in Japan. It apparently also references apps available in the UK, but again, I can't get a few of those, either. No real complaints, just waiting to see if some show up eventually.

Second, because I am registered to my Japanese Live ID, my plays no longer show up from this device. I also get no artist artwork on the lock screen or background for Zune. No biggie, but that is one nice thing is seeing images on the photos page and while it is easy to see the artist name during playback in Lock, the image would just be sweet to see. I calk that up to the fact that according to the Fujitsu/Microsoft guy I spoke to, there is no plan to bring the music marketplace to Japan. Sad. Even so, I should be able to get it to work on the tunes, including my Zune Pass stuff that is ported to the device.

For the device, so far the only thing I have noted that I think right now may be HTC related is it does not handle gapless playback as it should. To be honest, the Zunes didn't as well for a while, but this one is a little unnerving as I almost always play albums and many rely upon it (Chicago V, Abby Road, etc.)

Any changes/upgrades to the Marketplace there to give me hope?

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:06 AM »

Hi Charms,

glad to hear you are liking your WP, according to my friends' who use the UK Marketplace, it is pretty much the same as it was. So the one you use sounds the same as ours here. (lacking all the good stuff), although are you saying that you have no music Marketplace at all??
I don't have those issues you have, as I use the US live id for the HD and the phone, so I get the whole caboodle.

re: gap-less playback; I've always had that 'problem', even on the player, I don't know if it's because I use wma files mostly, especially when I rip cd's to the device, not sure if this would happen with Mp3 files Huh

I like it when you say the 'extraneous' use of 'u's, because as you know, it is the King's English and it is the U.S. who have got lazy and dropped them!  Wink Smiley

oh yes, an app I can recommend is 'tunein radio'... I can stream stations that are not available on FM and DAB, especially the live sport ones Cool

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List