Zunerama logo   
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 28, 2012, 06:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Phone.  (Read 4688 times)
charms1955
zune master

Remember: No Matter Where you Go...There You Are

View Profile Email
Re: Windows Phone.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »

Hey, brandy. Could be older information I found on the web. That would be encouraging if in fact I could use the iPhone sim in the new phone. Now Softbank still claims they can't put a sim in a phone "not made in Japan." However, that seems a little out there. My one worry is it seems the cards do not completely match for plans that people have and that data transfer or use on other carriers when roaming wind up with horrendous bills. All this seems like quite a racket. Phone carriers and airlines. Go figure LOL

On that note, I was leaning towards the Titan, which sounds like you could use an adapter to get to work. But good lord the Lumia 800 is a beautiful phone. i can live without the front facing camera...I have been living with a 16gb iPhone with tons of room to spare. I picked up a used HD 32 on ebay to back up and double my storage....I would be all set with my Zune as my primary music box, the 2nd Zune for some great videos, and the phone dedicated to my podcasts, a few choice tunes and apps.

Of course, I might be panicking as maybe the devices for Japan are just around the corner, but still, I have gone into a deep funk for a few days as I see Bangladesh getting phones before Japan? What's up with that??? LOL nothing against Bangladesh, but the Fujitsu/Toshiba is being treated like an iPhone on one carrier...it ain't no iPhone, even though it is a better device in many ways. Seems MS is just toying with this market and afraid to get wet. Or a little roughed up! They don't seem serious.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:00:04 AM by charms55 » Logged

Wanna know my real plays? Add 15,201 to the above.
Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

great reply,

yes, you should be careful messing with sims and phones, and not rely on anecdotal evidence, Japan throws an anomaly into the mix, I'm sure.

I hope that, like you say, Nokia will be just around the corner for you too.
regarding roaming, I certainly have to turn that off when I'm in Europe, waaaay too expensive.

and India has long been using Nokia, so maybe that's why it's been released there Huh

have you heard WPCentral latest podcast 128? they were just reviewing the Nokia world show(?) the  US guy reckons that he's not too impressed with the Lumia, it being not the 'high end' phone that he was expecting, but it would be ok for Europe as we (Europeans) don't really want top technology, but look for reliability!

well, thanks a bunch for that! methinks that he is peeved that it wasn't released in the States first, but what do I know, I'm from little old England Cheesy

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »

I get worn out by some of the conjecture and people passing their personal preference or biases as "news" or review. These are the kinds of statements on blogs I see every day:

If it doesn't have FF camera, it is worthless
16Gb is too small
Huge screen=great phone Smaller screen=worthless

This is why I want choice here in Japan. When I finally DO make a decision, I want it based not just on availability but on being able to hold the darned thing, test the features, compare the loaded software (I am a little wary of the Nokia due to Nokia Music....NOT Zune, and while I am sure Zune must be include....wait....is it?). The HTC Hub and camera feature like burst and panorama are great. But other phones have other features....I just want it on my carrier and some choice!

And I laugh at one blog, speaking of you unwashed masses in the Old World, where they constanly argue about oragnise vs. organize and the purity of the English language. Colour me unimpressed buy such blather! LOL I truly appreciate your insight and help.

The other issue is it is great to hear how everyone else can pop a sim into a phone and go for it, but plopping down anywhere from $500-$1000US in the hopes it will work makes my blood pressure rise!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:36:48 PM by charms55 » Logged

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »

Well, seems I was mistaken. Seems the 3GS has a full sized SIM, which may be good news or bad news depending on which phone I might like to get (nokia lumia 800  Cry ) But that wuld place the Titan and Radar in reach. I have seen Radars phone sale for $49 tied to a carrier, but unlocked maybe not so expensive that using to experiment wouln't be out of the question.

The other is to be adventurous and slice a sim card....if disaster strikes, how to you explain to the carrier what in the world happened? Mice? LOL

Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 90% full

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »

Quote from: charms55 on November 03, 2011, 03:28:03 AM
The other is to be adventurous and slice a sim card....if disaster strikes, how to you explain to the carrier what in the world happened? Mice? LOL

Is there any way to obtain a sim card for experimental purposes? Such as from eBay or something?

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

Mockers,
I tried an old standard sim card in this cutter I have, and it stamped a micro sim out with no problem.
I took it to work and compared it with the micro sim from a friend's phone, and the size is identical, so I have no worries if I have to do this in the future.

like I said, the actual brass contacts on both the cards are in the same place.
But however much I covet this new phone, it's way back on the list, I have Christmas and a couple of Birthdays coming up and I'm stretched as it is.

sometimes my eyes are bigger than my bank balance!

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

Charms,

Zune music is included in the new Nokia's and runs along side Nokia music....so far it is anyways

Dwain77
zune commando

White 30 replaced with a 120 GB.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »

I see I've been missing lots of posts here...I thought I subscribed.  Oh well, I didn't realize you could cut a SIM down like that.  Honestly I've never had a phone with a microSIM, so it's never been a concern I suppose.  Of topic, but I have a Blackberry Torch...big touch screen/vertical slide down keyboard (best of both worlds), no front camera (who cares)...LOVE IT.

Good news and bad news:
Good - I updated my wifes phone with Mango and it seems great.  I've honestly not played with it enough before and after to know what all the differences are.  Although my wife hasn't complained about any changes, and the things she has noticed have been an improvement.

Bad - My wife dropped her LG Quantum and it hit a concrete step just right...or just wrong I suppose.  So the glass screen is 'spider-webbed' pretty bad.  Fortunately it didn't damage the LCD and all touch functions still work.  So I have to order a new digitizer, gut the phone and replace the glass.  blah...

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »

Brandy, thanks for the update on the Zune music. I figured being Windows Phone, that Zune must be there, but with Nokia, was unsure if there was a side agreement that perhaps changed that. I would count on it being there.

Terrible news on your wife's phone, Dwain. Ouch! I have been so lucky on those accounts. I once skittered my Zune 30 across the train platform with no damage and my Zune HD32 fell just days after I got it and hit soundly on one corner. Created a tiny little burr on it, but no damage beyond that. Hope you get that all taken care of.

Like I said, this phone deal is a racket in some respects. Carriers hold out and limit the kinds and numbers of phones they will carry. I understand a part of that and I know that selling phones can be lucrative as well. However, then they give them away or discount them markedly to attract new customers and entice upgrades from old (I have heard that Softbank is offering a deal on iPad if people upgrade to the 4S) you realize that phones themselves are disposable loss-leaders to entice people to sign huge contracts, which ultimately is where the money is to be made. Allowing me to bring in a phone of my choice and use my existing SIM card seems out of the question (if you ask) Softbank. It was just this year the government "allowed" them to unlock their own phones to be used with other SIMS when people travel abroad. Protectionist, predatory practices.

Let me use the phone of my choice, Softbank and provide me with the proper SIM to do it, even with a charge! That is really all I need....Why should I hack away plastic or wait for them to get off the dime and take on the WP7 line?

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 06:59:33 AM »

I ran into a gal who had the magenta IS12T . She said she loved it and the UI was "cute." I showed her my Zune HD  and she took a photo since she had never seen one in Japan.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »

That IS1T phone does look good, and a nice 32gb capacity too,

regarding the micro sim, I had a word with 02 (my carrier) and they said they would swap my std sim for a micro sim, no problem and no charge!

anybody want a sim card cutter?

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

That's great news. AS I wold my wife this morning, I would gladly pay a nominal fee to get a new SIM card if that is what it takes. I have seen a figure of around 1990yen, which is about $20US, completely understandable if they would go that route.

I left the rates and package listings for AU KDDI on the table, as well as the specs list for the Titan. I could completely live with the Toshiba/Fujitsu if she lets me swap carriers. If I can go with Softbank, the Titan is the best of the unlocked phones so far. I love the look of the Lumina 800, but there are a lot of things missing there that the Titan includes such as front facing camera, better camera software, etc. Can't argue that many things would be easier on the large screen as well. Typing on the Fujitsu can be a challenge for my fat fingers, so the larger screen has some appeal, as well as for Internet and video.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »

Hey Charms,
 I believe you liked the look and idea of the Titan right from the start, so maybe you should go with your instincts,
it has some great reviews, and is a reasonable price too. I could certainly live with one!

Can you get your hands on one, to give it the once over?

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 04:17:52 AM »

That's a big problem. They are sold online but I am not aware if anyone or place that would have one to try out. Talking a huge leap of faith to just take the leap. I'm a little put out by some of the choices. Seems some real trade offs. If I want a smaller screen I end up with 8 gb except the 800 and the Fujitsu. Those have decent memory and no compass or front facing camera. The larger phones have cameras faster processors and better sensors. Makes the Fujitsu stand out. But then I have to switch carriers. #%%&

But so far, no real choice here.

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »

Ok. I have waited a year. Then the first ever Mango phone hit Japan in July.

Now the longest wait of all! I just ordered the HTC Titan unlocked. Will likely have to buy a new SIM card through Softbank.

My wife went in yesterday to ask them my question about using the phone. Of course a tremendous song and dance...they couldn't guarantee it would work. Then that they couldn't guarantee the connection fee would remain the same in our plan. Then stated they couldn't support a phone not sold through them.

Well, I certainly can see the last point. I can't expect them to support the device. They did replace my iPhone when it failed this summer, but I would not expect that here.

so....now a 2-3 day wait, if the site is to be believed, then a visit to Softbank with both phones. Like I said, the longest wait....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:49:55 AM by charms55 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List