Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 28, 2012, 06:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Phone.  (Read 4692 times)
whiteone30
zune trooper

View Profile
Windows Phone.
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »

Just curious, who has a Windows Phone?  What do you think of it? Another question, why doesn't this forum just turn into a Windows phone forum? It can still have Zune just more about the phone side of it.
 Grin

Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 90% full

View Profile
Re: Windows Phone.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »

I don't have one... yet. But I was just thinking the same thing about this forum. I guess it's up to Harvey. There are at least 3 or 4 very promising-looking forums dedicated to Windows Phone 7 that are not Microsoft-driven. Once I get my phone I'll probably join one of them.

Has anyone here who already has the phone (Charms55?) joined a phone forum?

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »

I've had a Windows phone since they came out, not joined any forums yet...they are a bit too technical for me,  Grin
but I check out WP Central to see what's new.

I would like to carry on here really, as the phone still has the marketplace; and you use it with the Pass
to me, and I know I don't speak for everybody, it's just an evolution of the device

Dwain77
zune commando

White 30 replaced with a 120 GB.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:45:47 PM »

My wife has a WP7 and really likes it.  I'm pretty impressed with it too even though I've been pretty dedicated to my Blackberry's for years.  With a few more tweaks WP will be something I'll consider when my current contract is up.  In fact I know the Mango update is out now, which might make it even more appealing to me.  I've been putting off updating my wifes phone because she doesn't like change as much as I do. (She still has a pink 30G Zune)  Although I hope to do the update really soon to see how it's improved.

BTW, www.WPcentral.com is a great site...sort of sister site to www.crackberry.com which I'm always on. Smiley  I hate to see this site disappear, even though I've not been here in a good long time, although I don't see it getting the traffic to justify it being around.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »

Hi Dwain,

You're right about the lack of traffic, most of the time there are 5 at the most on here, sometimes only one member,
although about 300 or more 'guests' (?)
I wouldn't be surprised to see it being wrapped up, but with the subject of this thread, I guess it tempted you back,
 so maybe with the phone being included on these boards that will make it more interesting Undecided

by the way Dwain, what's the bike on your Zune Card? a flat tracker?

whiteone30
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

Dwaine,

You should definitely update your wifes phone. It doesn't change anything, it just adds tothe phone, such as tweaks, and new bells and whistles. I love the Mango update! Your wife's phone will also have more access to more apps that will work with mango. And her browser will run full html5! Trust me, your missing out----

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »

Sure why not. Don't have one yet but probably will at some point it time. As was pointed out by Brandythecat its just an evolution of the device. Also I don't know squat about the phone so some info and talk about it would help me out a lot.

Dwain77
zune commando

White 30 replaced with a 120 GB.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Brandythecat on October 24, 2011, 02:32:02 PM
Hi Dwain,
You're right about the lack of traffic, most of the time there are 5 at the most on here, sometimes only one member,
although about 300 or more 'guests' (?)
I wouldn't be surprised to see it being wrapped up, but with the subject of this thread, I guess it tempted you back,
so maybe with the phone being included on these boards that will make it more interesting Undecided

by the way Dwain, what's the bike on your Zune Card? a flat tracker?
I guess this thread did interest me enough to actually post again, instead of just lurking through.  It was just by chance that I came back to the site though.  My poor Zune has been spending most of it's time just sitting in my bag...I decided it was time for it to become part of my daily routine again.  Because of that I thought I'd come by and see what the latest news was now that the stand alone player isn't being made any longer.

The motorcycle is just a bobber style bike I saw at a show and liked.  I suppose the builder may have meant for it to be a flat tracker....or at least look like one.

Quote from: whiteone30 on October 24, 2011, 03:40:42 PM
Dwaine,

You should definitely update your wifes phone. It doesn't change anything, it just adds tothe phone, such as tweaks, and new bells and whistles. I love the Mango update! Your wife's phone will also have more access to more apps that will work with mango. And her browser will run full html5! Trust me, your missing out----
Well in all fairness I'm not missing out, my wife is.  Wink  I'm an update freak typically, so I'd have been on Mango for some time now if it was my phone.  I'm looking forward to seeing the changes though.  I had read into the updates a little at some point, but don't remember seeing the update to html5...that's pretty exciting.  I guess I'll swipe it from her soon to update it.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:14:32 PM by Dwain77 » Logged

charms1955
zune master

Remember: No Matter Where you Go...There You Are

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:15 AM »

I am still waiting for a device to hit my carrier here in Japan.

Shame you leave your Zune in your bag. I carry my HD every day and use it almost every day. I watch video podcasts on there and listen to Stitcher on my iPhone. That way I don't have to download all three hours of my favorite Podcasts there.

Brandy and Mockers know I am dedicated not only to my Zune, but am on XBox Live and am waiting for the WP7 to round out my interconnectivity. I can stream videos and have the old style Zune pass and download several albums a month. Easily pays for itself.

As for Mango. My understanding is there is little to argue for NOT updating and getting it. The mutlitasking, new apps that are more deeply integrated...It is really a whole new OS. I am just biding my time here, hoping that something develops soon...the Fujitsu is a great little phone, especially with a great camera and 32GB, but it is not my carrier and I do not want to jump ship. I was quite discouraged last night when I hit the local Softbank store to find out if I got another phone if it could be used on their system and was basically told if it weren7t manufactured in Japan, no. Now I know SB has added a cheap Chinese Android and obviously sells iPhone, not made in Japan. I was in particularly interested in either the HTC Titan or the Lumia 800 from Nokia. Very disheartening. I see the brand going no where in Japan right now.  Sad  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:03:15 AM by charms55 » Logged

Wanna know my real plays? Add 15,201 to the above.
Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »

Charms, is it out of the question to import the phone you want, say the Lumia 800; have it unlocked, and use your sim card?
I did that with the Mozart phone, well I didn't import it, but I did unlock it as it was on Orange and I am on 02.

mind you, I did buy it from someone who upgraded and had it listed on Ebay...

*edit I just checked out the prices of the Lumia, but it will be tied to other carriers with contracts, but where there's a will........

I'm not very technically minded as you have probably guessed Wink
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:36:26 AM by Brandythecat » Logged

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »

Yeah Brandy, there are unlocked phones sold here presently, usually called International versions or Whitesocket? (saw the term but not sure that is exactly how it is said). My concern there might be the SIM I have in the iPhone. I am not sure if it is prprietary. I do know it is Micro SIM which means the Nokia 800 is in reach, but the Titan would not be.

I'm a little spooked on that and whether the whole thing would work or not. Any info on that from sources is certainly welcome.

On that note, if there are folks here looking but unsure about information, I have a geeky little blog, unvisisted so untouched by human hands that pulls together some info from various sites. http://charms55.blogspot.com/ so if you want to see sites that regularly carry news about the phones, videos and apps, check it out.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:47:08 PM by charms55 » Logged

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »

Quote from: charms55 on October 29, 2011, 04:44:50 PM
I do know it is Micro SIM which means the Nokia 800 is in reach, but the Titan would not be.

Now that's not good news for me, I was hoping to buy a sim free version of the 800 and put my sim card in, but if it is a micro sim, then mine wouldn't fit.
I can't really jump ship to another carrier, as the one I have has 1gb of data download per month and is 10 cheaper (the carriers for this phone are only offering 500mb data.

I think there is a way for you though,(for the Titan) as there is an adapter for micro sim to standard sim....  Wink

charms1955
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »

Everything I read points to no. The SIM for the iPhone will not work in other phones. Another "Think Different" idea from the folk at Apple to keep everyone on board.

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »

Oh.......botheration Angry

but I want need this phone Sad

pass me a life jacket, I may be jumping ship Cheesy

or.....cut my sim card to the micro sim size

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/sim-trim-cutting-card-down-to-microsim-size/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:04:18 PM by Brandycat » Logged

Brandycat
zune commando

English as Threepence

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

First of all, thanks to the Mod for removing the spam.

Now, for those few people who are interested, the micro sim card or std sim card, will  not an issue (apparently)
The contacts are in the same place on both cards, it's just an excess of plastic on the standard sim.

(no doubt this is common knowledge to all, and I am the only one on the planet who didn't know this Tongue)

I have now got a purpose made cutter form Ebay for only 2.99, in which the standard card fits, and will punch
the micro sim card out, ready to be used; either in an adapter, or straight in the phone

Charms - my work colleague is using a micro sim in an adapter in his HTC Mozart, (the same as my present phone)

He used to have an iphone, and when he swapped his phone,  was able to use the micro sim.

These Lumia 800 phones are due to be released here in the UK (carriers - Three and T Mobile)
but I intend to wait a bit, at least after Christmas, until maybe unlocked, or sim free versions are available at a more reasonable prices

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List