Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 30, 2011, 08:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unique ways to use your Zune  (Read 360 times)
Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 80% full

View Profile
Unique ways to use your Zune
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:19:50 AM »

Hi folks,
I'm sad to see Zunerama with no posts for days on end. So I thought I'd open up a topic and see what shakes. How do you use your Zune? How many ways do you use it? With new electronic gadgets on the market, do you use your Zune less than before?

My 120 is still my favorite device. I use it on the bus to and from work, and at night in the Altec Lansing speaker dock as I try to get to sleep. I used to use it throught the day at my desk at work, through my PC speakers. But since my office moved to a downtown building which I lovingly call the "cube farm" those speakers are put away so as not to bother any cubie neighbors. I still sync it almost every day when I get home, and my Zune pass is still the best thing since sliced bread! (I would never have discovered Adele without it!)

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
Re: Unique ways to use your Zune
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »

Hey Mockers....
Yeah I still use my 120. I will admit not as much as I used to but it still leaves the house with me most days. I used to sync up all the time but now maybe once a week. I have kind of gotten caught up in the Nook Color which is taking up some of my time.
Totally agree about the Zune Pass! If that were ever to go away...well I don't want to think about that possibility!
I am seriously considering getting an hd even though I have 3 working Zunes in the house. So yes I am still a Zuner! Grin

Mockers
zune rockstar

Zune 120: 80% full

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »

Hi Tbird,

Yes, Zune pass is everyting. Son Neil and I just discussed it after your post. We both agreed, somewhat reluctantly, that if the Zune pass were to ever go away, we would probably turn to the Dark Side (you know what that means--the fruity side). It would be a shame.

Brandythecat
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »

Hi Guys!
yes, it has been bleak on here of late, I did think of starting a thread 'Is there any Zuner's in the UK'? but I thought the sound of sagebrush blowing across the floor and the wind whining would be the result!

Anyway to answer your post Mockers, yes I still use both the HD's and my old 120 is still in use by the guy I sold it to (we share the same Zune Pass account)

I have 3 HD docks in use, in the car is my main usage, and on a long run I stick the 64gb in, and it's great on random play, but mainly commuting to work. When at home, it is docked and coupled up to the sound system, it is hooked up to the tv, but I don't use that too much, just for the music.
The other dock is when I sync to the pc, which usually is every day.
I must admit at work I'm increasingly using the Wphone, but of course I'm still using the marketplace on that. When mango (the next update) arrives it will have smart DJ. But I can download new stuff on it; and when I dock when I return , it gets transferred to the collection.

Mockers, have you tried 'lastfm'? I have it on the phone, but you can have it on your pc, it also is a great way to discover new music. using a list of artists you have chosen, it then picks other stuff you may like, much like smart dj.
alas, I do use it in conjunction with the pass, because you cannot d/load anything from lastfm. But then I do a search in Marketplace and if available, download from there.
I tried spotify, but for me, it is too expensive for what you get.....
If I had to move from Zune, I would go back to Creative, some of the products now are very nice, but of course not a patch on the Zune devices

Brandythecat
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:42:55 AM »

Oh yes, I listen to the radio commentary on the HD when I'm down the football match - we have that many new players this season, it's a way of learning who they are!

The phone has a radio, but the reception on the Zune is better, and the battery life is longer too...

just trying to keep the thread going Grin

elorance
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »

Hi y'all - nice to see some familiar faces posting again.

I still use my Zune everyday at work, hooked up to computer speakers at my desk. I also use it at home with the earbuds while I'm working around the yard, and in the dock hooked up to the stereo inside. I've also started using it to listen to audio books that I've downloaded through the local library web site. They synk to the Zune through OverDrive media console, and it works great. I usually listen to the books while I'm driving. I still use the pass all the time and love it. I usually sync up to the marketplace around once a week, or as often as I download something new.

charms55
zune master

Remember: No Matter Where you Go...There You Are

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »

Hey, I see most of you snoozing on my XBox 360. I have my 80 Gigger hooked up to that and access the music and videos from folders there, as well as from my PC wirelessly. I finally figured out how to set up my user for my charms55 account, so now I can stream from my Zune Pass...Wonderful! Can't buy movies, but can through the Japanese account I have and I can get music videos from Charms55 as well. Big hurrah for MS going to PayPal for purchasing, so now I can have my MS points purchased in XBox Live and buy albums through the Zune Marketplace and the music videos. I carry my HD everyday watching Pod casts and listening to music and use it with my Silent Mute when practicing for symphony. I can cue up Brahms in the headphones and not be tied to a huge stereo or CD player. Awesome.

The Marketplace is due to expand here, but I am wary as I see the new Fujitsu-Toshiba phone here has a Japanese music service app installed and I am worried they are going to try to limp through without the Music Marketplace making it here. That would be a bummer, but also hopeful. I plan to dump the iPhone at the end of my contract. That should be December, and hopefully by then there will be multiple choices including maybe the Nokia phones available.

On another note...I did a demo lesson for a Microsoft guy here in Tokyo. At the time I mentioned the Windows Phone and then he said, "You have 2-3 months to wait for that." He was spot on. When I mentioned I was one of the only Zune owners in Japan he chuckled and said he had never seen one here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:02:53 PM by charms55 » Logged

I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
Brandythecat
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »

"Big hurrah for MS going to PayPal for purchasing" Shocked

Charms, thanks for this info; does this mean you can buy the pass through PayPal too?

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »

Nope....sad to say, through the desktop client at any rate, you cannot use PayPal. I think it is tied to XBox Live, which in turn is the old "Windows Live" points. I haven't tried through Zune.net, but I would doubt it is there. Interestingly, on XBox and XBox live, I had to scroll to the bottom of the list of cards used by that one guy on Ebay. On the Live site, maybe not. Anyway, my PayPal is a listed there with a 4 digit number, just as your card would be.

I am concerned with talk that Zune branding would be dropped for the more generic Windows Live branding, they will do away with the pass. The other side would be complete integration, allowing the PayPal option from the phone etc.

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »

Hi Brandycat...I did a little poking around. I stopped shy, because I didn't want to risk going into it and fouling up what I have right now, as I am only about 6 months into this year.

I went to Zune.net and signed in. I already have used the American site, so of course it would not take my Japanese credit card.

Chose Products>zune Pass>Get Zune Pass

Chose the plan I wanted (12 months) and hit Next

Next I see all the screens of the various card sour former friend used to reserve our passes before. Under that, find Options>Edit Payment Options

This takes you to Microsoft Billing and account management. Here, I can see everything I have bought, all those card used, my current points balance.

At the bottom of the Credit cards list is my Pay Pal. I could change it here or delete it probably.

Now, I first used my PayPal from the XBox Live site, so that might be your first step before you do all this. Go there and buy either a membership or add points to your account. You should have the option to use PayPal there. If that is the case, then from the Zune.net site, go through the steps I outlined above. You should then see PayPal as one of your "credit card" options.

Give it a whirl! Let me know, cause if so I am headed there in February (if the Zune Pass is not here) to save a few bucks on my subscription. I use it constantly!!!!

Brandythecat
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »

Thanks Charms!!
well that was easy peasy Smiley
I too, didn't want to mess up what I have got!
But I did go to Xbox live and I bought 800 points with PayPal.
 Next, opening the software Client; saw that my points total had indeed been added to...
and that's using a UK Paypal account, taking funds from a UK Credit Card.. Shocked

I tried then logging in to Zune.net, but for some reason I couldn't access my account.(try again later or somesuch...)
But back in the desktop software > settings>account >edit billing options; scrolling through that list of  credit cards was my PayPal payment for the points!

So I can't see why this same payment option can't be used for future purchases, even Zune passes..(maybe)

once again Charms thanks for pointing this out
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:55:07 AM by Brandythecat » Logged

charms55
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:33 AM »

I think you are right! We'll have to keep on top of this, not that I am not getting my money's worth at $25 a month....still would be sweeter at $15!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List