Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 24, 2011, 05:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotify, ipad's and more...  (Read 282 times)
Zune-Meister
zune master

View Profile
Spotify, ipad's and more...
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »

Well folks, I've been talking for a while about how I would one day "upgrade" (I never thought I'd say that) to a new i-device of some kind.  Just recently I was officially ordained as a pastor and received some ordination gift money, so within the next couple of weeks I'm most likely going to be getting an ipad.  I'll probably check out the other tablets on the market, too, but on first glance the ipad has the most useful apps for my work.

That said, Spotify is finally making it's debut in the U.S., which makes the Zune Pass less appealing.  And I'm fairly certain a spotify app will appear for the itouch/pad devices upon the Spotify launch.  All that said, I'll still be using my HD as my primary music device.  But while I may chime in from time to time here on the zunerama forums, my presence will be spotty due to spotify and my new ipad (bad pun intended.)   Wink

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun hear on the boards.  Like I said, I'll chime in on occasion, but won't be around as much.  And oh, if anybody has any favorite i-device apps that you've found useful, feel free to chime in and let me know.  Take care!
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
Re: Spotify, ipad's and more...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »

If I were you, I'd wait till later this year when Amazon reveals their tablet. The ecosystem and distribution Amazon commands is something that is worth stalling for to find out if it would work better for ya. Been thinking about tablets for a while now myself. Amazon's possible offering is the only one that might give Apple some competition.

Also, http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/zune-vs-spotify-50001134/

There isn't a service that offers more value than Zune Pass, if there was I would be subscribing to it instead.

Zune-Meister
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »

Concerning the zune pass, I actually canceled mine 2 months ago b/c many albums I was looking up weren't available in the marketplace.  Still owning an HD, if another service doesn't hold water...I'll come back.   Cool

As for the tablet, there's a software program I use everyday (in my profession) called Logos.  They've got a great ipad app and have an android one in beta...but from what I've read, the i-version is much smoother.  Anyway, I use the software just about everyday...and it's one of the main reasons I've leaned toward the ipad.  But I'll do some reading on the Amazon one, as I buy lots from them.
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »

Wait until Amazon announces a product for which there's been no official announcement that it's even coming?  A product that according to the best source will not be designed by Amazon and will skimp on specs to undercut Apple's price. Why? You're suggesting forgoing a product, the iPad, that has had overwhelmingly positive reviews, extremely high customer satisfaction ratings, and is actually already on the market. Again, why?

I think that mindset was one of the things that most fascinated me about Zunerama. I'm not suggesting that Zune didn't have features that I'd have liked to see on my iPods of yore. Even if most of those rotted on the vine, if they ever even saw the light of day. I understand those who were in it for the music subscription. And heck, it won't be until September that I will finally be able to sync wirelessly. But like the iPad, the iPod was always highly praised and highly recommended by its owners. It's one thing to buy a product for its features. But its something entirely different to suggest not buying an amazingly useful and convenient product based on rumor, particularly the current rumor.

Like Apple, Amazon sees its business clearly. Apple saw the shifts in iPod model purchases - they knew what people wanted and where they were going. And Amazon, better than Apple, has the data to see the shifts from physical media to digital. But Apple was that shift. And now, Apple has the dominate ecosystem for purchased digital media. Amazon sees the downside of not adopting a digital platform and losing all its book, CD and DVD sales. Apple helped make that shift and they're seeing the upside. So yes, I'm sure Amazon will hack and tweak Android as much as they can. And I'm sure we will see either a partnership or some struggle between Amazon and Google as Amazon seeks to control the digital media ecosystem on their devices. My best estimate is that Amazon's first tablet will be closer to a Kindle than an iPad. Don't take that the wrong way, but it's simple - Amazon "sells the blades." They're not interested in hardware or user experience. They're concerned about getting locked out of the iPad (which almost happened) and other tablets. All their physical DVD, CD and book sales will soon amount to nothing. They want to keep their toes in that huge market.

All that said, it's still a product that hasn't even been announced.

It's one thing to bet on a horse that's late out of the gate. It's another thing entirely to bet on a horse that hasn't shown up to the track.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »

Heh, Palmer, the word I used was stall/wait, not buy. Cool those jets. I get it though, recognized ecosystem, well received, reality vs. the great unknown. Totally makes sense. Personally, I really dig Amazon as a company. I love my kindle, I'm a little invested with more than a few of the books I've bought, so I'd be willing to wait simply to see what they're shooting for. I'm in no hurry, a tablet is more a convenience device that a necessary device in my book. Besides the possibility at buying a decent "mobile couch laptop" (personal description) half the price of an iPad, sans a camera (don't care at all for the feature, what my Windows phone is for), with a decent built in ecosystem/app store, I still say it'd be at the very least a decent alternative that'd be worth waiting for given the rumors it's launching later this year.

I know it's tough for you to understand why anyone would forgo a sure thing for something...new, but you're knee deep in Apple land, heavily invested in the ecosystem, as well as the company itself. You're anchored. I have a tough time with that. But if the ecosystem works, wallow in it. I prefer taste testing all those flavors out there.

Zune-Meister
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:11 AM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on July 18, 2011, 09:51:24 PM
Wait until Amazon announces a product for which there's been no official announcement that it's even coming?  A product that according to the best source will not be designed by Amazon and will skimp on specs to undercut Apple's price. Why? You're suggesting forgoing a product, the iPad, that has had overwhelmingly positive reviews, extremely high customer satisfaction ratings, and is actually already on the market. Again, why?

I think that mindset was one of the things that most fascinated me about Zunerama. I'm not suggesting that Zune didn't have features that I'd have liked to see on my iPods of yore. Even if most of those rotted on the vine, if they ever even saw the light of day. I understand those who were in it for the music subscription. And heck, it won't be until September that I will finally be able to sync wirelessly. But like the iPad, the iPod was always highly praised and highly recommended by its owners. It's one thing to buy a product for its features. But its something entirely different to suggest not buying an amazingly useful and convenient product based on rumor, particularly the current rumor.

Like Apple, Amazon sees its business clearly. Apple saw the shifts in iPod model purchases - they knew what people wanted and where they were going. And Amazon, better than Apple, has the data to see the shifts from physical media to digital. But Apple was that shift. And now, Apple has the dominate ecosystem for purchased digital media. Amazon sees the downside of not adopting a digital platform and losing all its book, CD and DVD sales. Apple helped make that shift and they're seeing the upside. So yes, I'm sure Amazon will hack and tweak Android as much as they can. And I'm sure we will see either a partnership or some struggle between Amazon and Google as Amazon seeks to control the digital media ecosystem on their devices. My best estimate is that Amazon's first tablet will be closer to a Kindle than an iPad. Don't take that the wrong way, but it's simple - Amazon "sells the blades." They're not interested in hardware or user experience. They're concerned about getting locked out of the iPad (which almost happened) and other tablets. All their physical DVD, CD and book sales will soon amount to nothing. They want to keep their toes in that huge market.

All that said, it's still a product that hasn't even been announced.

It's one thing to bet on a horse that's late out of the gate. It's another thing entirely to bet on a horse that hasn't shown up to the track.

Oh, I'm getting an ipad.  The question, Palmer, is whether I should wait until the Apple PC in September to see if they release a "plus" (or whatever) model this fall/winter pre-Holiday or if I should go ahead and grab one now.  I'm pretty patient and would be willing to wait for a 2 x resolution screen if they really do release one.  But I'm not sure I'd wait until Spring, as I can get usability out of it immediately.  Thoughts?
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

Zune-Meister,

If a 2x resolution iPad is released, it will likely cost more than the current models. If you're good with that and in no hurry, then wait. You'll even get to see if Amazon announces a tablet. There's also a good chance you could get a respectable price for a current generation iPad if you decided to switch when the next iPad (or Amazon tablet) comes out. I'm also looking forward to a more crisp display on the iPad, not that this one is bad at all... Unless I just put down my iPhone 4, I don't notice the standard pixel density.

Unlike Jander's use scenario, I will go days (sometimes weeks) using only my iPad.

Jander,

First, the stalling and waiting. Maybe I wasn't clear - wait for what? I never thought you were saying to buy Amazon's rumored tablet. I'm saying why even wait for it. It's not like you're suggesting waiting on a laptop with a faster processor (which we know will be released) or the next Android tablet (which we know will be released). You are suggesting waiting on something that may or may not even exist. The article you linked to offers more compelling reasons not to wait than to wait. My issue isn't specifically with the waiting (although there's always something better on the horizon), it's with the waiting for a rumored product which has never existed.

There's a major difference between the companies mentioned in this thread: their focus. Amazon is a content company. Microsoft is a software and services company. Google is an advertising company. Apple is a hardware company. Of course, some of them dabble in other areas. Microsoft builds hardware to help push their services. Amazon makes hardware to sell their digital book content. Google makes hardware, applications, and distributes content to create advertising opportunities. Apple makes software and sells content to enhance their hardware offerings. It's each company's focus that drives their reason for creating products, which can lead to big differences between the brands.

For example, will Amazon have an open tablet or will they have an Amazon content device? Android tablet OEMs compete on price to sell slightly different Android tablets. If the price is as low as the rumors suggest, there's little room for profit and a good chance the Amazon tablet will simply be a razor-handle meant to push Amazon content. Would Amazon allow Netflix and all the other content providers that would compete with their sole focus? Would they even allow an app marketplace outside of the Amazon App Store? The Amazon tablet would be built to sell content for Amazon on top of a platform designed to push ads for Google - it makes sense why it would "skimp on the specs" and "be inexpensive". Which brings me back to the hardware company, Apple. The iPad hardware is where Apple makes their real profit. Everything else supports the hardware. There are dozens of options for media content on iPad, most of which take sales away from Apple's content stores. But, Apple doesn't need the content sales to be successful.

Finally... you bring up another thing that fascinated me about Zunerama, the pervasive idea that anyone who recommends or uses Apple products is an entrenched sheep stuck in the Apple ecosystem and/or religion. I can't believe this idea still persists. It's an insult to all those non-tech people who simply love using their Apple devices (many of them once owned a Zune). It's not difficult for me to understand your logic. But, I think it's you who is anchored to your "must try everything" attitude. I owned an OEM Windows PC business for several years. I've owned several makes of Windows PCs. I've owned electronics from every major manufacturer. I bought my nephew a Kindle. I buy most of my digital books in Kindle format. I listen to Pandora frequently. I have a Best Buy music subscription. I have a Netflix streaming subscription. I have a cable TV subscription. I use the HBOGO app all the time. I have a Sirius/XM subscription. Etc., etc. And that is the beauty of the iPad: Apple sells hardware. Hardware that allows me access to all the above listed content. Sure, they offer iTunes - as an integrated option and unique, differentiating experience. But in the end, I get Apple's iTunes content plus all the other content providers' solutions. Zune could even make an iPad app if they wanted. There's more reason to suspect every other tablet may try lock-in than there is to suspect Apple.

Between the lack of DRM, the availabilty of 3rd-party content apps, and the relatively low cost of iOS apps, there is very little investment and no anchoring. Apple sells hardware with a solid user experience, access to thousands of options for content, and nothing to hold you in their ecosystem - except the experience.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

That's awesome Palmer, glad you're loving your iPad. Really. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting Apple at all, or claiming you're married to the company, I'm sure if a product came along that fit better for ya than the Apple offering, you'd jump for it. I personally enjoy my iMac, in the market for a new one in the new few months actually, looking forward to the speed increase. They usually run more for the price versus a PC with the same specs, but typically for me, my iMac makes it easy for me to use both Windows and OS X via Bootcamp and/or Parallels/Fusion, so I can use my Zune/WP7, and any of the other Windows specific service/programs. Was just saying that a possibility for a decent alternative that does what I want specifically and would be rumored to be much cheaper might be revealed in a few months, that's all. As always if I was in the market for a tablet this year for sure, I'd exhaustively research, summon my social networks, weigh those pros and cons and pick the one that fit me best with the services I already use, and the promise of the new services available. It's not a need to try everything, it's a need to employ the best products that fit my usage, regardless of the company that makes them. So if you're accusing me of being open minded, guilty as charged.

Why worry about what others think or want or why they discount what you use and why you use it? Just enjoy and discuss your...experiences.

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »

I didn't argue against a Xoom, Playbook, or Galaxy Tab. I wouldn't argue against a recommendation for Vizio's announced Via Tablet. I didn't even dispute not buying an iPad. Read my posts again, I only disputed the logic of waiting on a rumored Amazon tablet.

The only reason I even explained the benefits of iPad was to dispute your generalization of my input on the topic: "I know it's tough for you to understand why anyone would forgo a sure thing for something...new, but you're knee deep in Apple land, heavily invested in the ecosystem, as well as the company itself. You're anchored. I have a tough time with that. But if the ecosystem works, wallow in it. I prefer taste testing all those flavors out there." Amazon's tablet is not something new; it's something rumored.

Your holier-than-thou obsession with being open minded is causing you to perceive my detailed argument against waiting on Amazon's rumored tablet as biased Apple fanboyism.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on July 19, 2011, 09:23:30 PM
Your holier-than-thou obsession with being open minded is causing you to perceive my detailed argument against waiting on Amazon's rumored tablet as biased Apple fanboyism.

Goodness, is that the way you took that? Sorry no, didn't mean that at all. Apologies. That's not the way I think of you. Like I said, it'd be worth it for me to see how rumors play out. That's it.

Zune-Meister
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Palmer Deville on July 19, 2011, 06:34:27 PM
Zune-Meister,

If a 2x resolution iPad is released, it will likely cost more than the current models. If you're good with that and in no hurry, then wait. You'll even get to see if Amazon announces a tablet. There's also a good chance you could get a respectable price for a current generation iPad if you decided to switch when the next iPad (or Amazon tablet) comes out. I'm also looking forward to a more crisp display on the iPad, not that this one is bad at all... Unless I just put down my iPhone 4, I don't notice the standard pixel density.

Unlike Jander's use scenario, I will go days (sometimes weeks) using only my iPad.

I think you just convinced me to go ahead and order one (probably will within a week or so).  You using one as often as you do and saying you don't really notice the pixel density for reading tells me I probably won't either.  That said, if you have any app/game suggestions, feel free to throw 'em my way.  (I know it's not zune related thread...but oh well.  Looking for something to replace audiosurf on the zune hd, something that will allow me to import/play songs from my own library while playing.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List