Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 05:42:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Sansa Media Player Board « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sansa Media Player Board  (Read 1251 times)
nymbis
zune commando

View Profile Email
Sansa Media Player Board
« on: December 27, 2006, 08:21:50 PM »

Welcome to the Sansa Media Player Board! Here is the place to rave about the newest and greatest Sansa media products. Please keep this board clean and pertanent to Sansa. Enjoy!
travisb05
zune n00bie

View Profile
Re: Sansa Media Player Board
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »

i was messing with mp3 players at circuit city the other day a there was an 8gb video mp3 player very small and simple to use had a spin wheel similar to the ipod just not touch. I would get that if your short on money or dont need 30 gb of memory
nymbis
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:36:02 AM »

Do you know the name of it?
aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:31:38 AM »

sounds like somethin a friend of mine has...i forget the name tho

rj1790
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »

There products are an odd duck LOL
canadianzuner
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 07:32:03 PM »

i think it was the sansa e280 or something, my friend has a 2GB one, and the plastic "ring-wheel" feels really crappy.. and idk why it even has video as the screen is soo small.
glowbee
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »

Wanna see a really small video screen? Check out the MobiBLU Cube2. It's less than an inch! That's just plain silly.....

Sorry, MS. Nothing personal.
aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:59:09 PM »

Yea

AK Water
zune rockstar

iPod Owner, Zune Admirer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »

I think the SanDisk Sansa e280 is the best flash based digital media player currently on the market.  I was about four seconds away from buying one, but decided to wait for a flash based Zune instead.  Thats why I came here, it helps me wait out for the new Zune  Smiley

If you told me in 2001 that Apple and Microsoft where gonna be number 1 and 2 in this market by 2007, I probably would have called you crazy. 
blindskater
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »

Quote from: glowbee on January 12, 2007, 08:41:57 PM
Wanna see a really small video screen? Check out the MobiBLU Cube2. It's less than an inch! That's just plain silly.....

lol.. and i thought the ipod screen was small
rj1790
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

Video on that little thing!!! Huh they sure are crazy
mwells
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:57:48 AM »

Haha I own one of these, and I actually watched a full episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on the bus ride home from Chicago, and it honestly didn't look too bad. I'm getting ready to sell it though so I can buy a Zune to fulfill this exact same purpose, albeit a lot better. Wink
nymbis
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »

Haha mwells, nice! Yeah my friend at work has one and he has this bouncy ball cover for it. So when we are bored, we bounce it around. Its pretty cool. Well hey, since you own one, would be willing to type up a review of it (Specs, etc)?  I can post it up here for everyone to see!
mwells
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »

Hey I'd love to  Grin Only problem is, I'm not much of a technical user, so I'll just provide my somewhat limited perspective on the player.

I guess the first place to start would be the build quality, which is stellar. It feels far more sturdy and substantial than an ipod nano, and has a far more upscale appearance, especially when compared to the new nanos. The front is an easily smudged/fingerprinted black plastic plate that joins to the backing, which is a very slick "liquid metal", containing the company logo, capacity, and a number of other symbols that have no real consequence or concern to the user. Tongue

Buttons are laid out simply, a tactile clear scroll wheel is flanked by 4 buttons, one for menu, one for playing and pausing, and previous track and next track buttons. Inside of the ring(which glows a very pretty blue when you activate it) is an OK/confirm button that handles selecting a lot of the primary functions. Along the left side is a record button that is VERY touchy and will be accidentally bumped more than once. On the top is your standard "Hold" button, and a 3.5mm jack for headphones. The right side is bare except for a microSD expansion slot, which is a very nifty feature that I haven't had opportunity to test. The bottom is reserved for a proprietary Sansa to USB cable, used to charge and sync the player.

Turning on the player takes a few seconds, depending on how full the player is and whether or not you have a microSD card present. The main menu can be navigated with the 4 outer buttons or by scrolling with the navigation wheel. Your main menu options are Music, Video, Voice, Settings, Photo and FM Radio.

I'll start with Music, since that's the bread and butter of any good mp3 player. Navigating into the music menu presents the opportunity to browse your library by Artist, Albums, Songs, Genres, your personalized playlists, your top-rated files, recordings you've made, music options, and the option to play all of your music. Navigation is quite easy, and you should have no problem digging into menus quickly once you have the feel of the scroll wheel down. When playing a song, a small album art thumbnail will show up if present in the id3 tag of that file. You can press the enter button once to make it bigger, again to bring up an equalizer, and once more to go back to the file information. While music is playing, you can go back into the main menu, change settings, and that's about it. Changing songs, skipping through a song, and pausing/playing the song are all as expected.

The video mode shows the most promise, but the interface and control of the videos is lackluster. When you enter the video subscreen, there are no categories or separation of any kind, just a long list of files. Every file must be converted before it is accepted onto the Sansa player, Sandisk includes a converter on their disk, and it works very well, but it also takes up a lot of time, and MORE space than the original file. Each file, if longer than 10 minutes, is split into two parts. For example, if you have a 37 minute file, it will be split into 4 files. Video is crisp and clear for the small screen, but you have to hold it just right to stop it from washing out, and the finer video controls are very unhelpful. Holding fast forward will go through the video at a rate of about 5 video seconds for every 1 real second, with no status bar or timer to let you know where you are in the video. On such a small screen, I can see how this would be a problem. However, like I said, the videos do look great and sound great whenever everything works out. Surprisingly, watching the small screen is not fatiguing on the eyes, at least not for me. I was able to sit through nearly 2 hours of video without wanting to curl up into a ball and die, so they must have done something right! The latest firmware fixed a very disturbing bug that left gaps of up to 15 seconds while switching between video files, this has been lowered to 2-3 seconds.

Voice recording is a snap, just press the button on the side, either intentionally or unintentionally, and the Sansa will automatically start recording. Recording quality is decent, but the mic picks up a lot of wind noise, and be careful not to breathe too hard, you'll sound really creepy.

The photo gallery is fairly well laid out, with good thumbnails, and bright colors on the full screen images. Each image is recommended to be run through the Sandisk converter so they'll scale properly, but it IS possible to drag n drop into the correct folder while the device is in MTP mode.

The FM radio is pretty decent, but it widely depends on the conductivity of your headphone cord, which is the primary source of amplification for the FM tuner. Seeking stations is a bit counter-intuitive, holding the back/forward buttons down will skip through channels rapidly, but once you let go, it will automatically seek to the next closest station. The only option for fine tuning is to press the buttons slowly once at a time. You are able to set preset radio stations, record from the radio, view your presets, and delete existing presets from the menu within the FM radio.

Most of the settings are self-explanatory, but some of the settings I view as must-have are listed below:

-Brightness, the Sansa is bright and very readable at almost any brightness, so put it as low as you can stand to save battery power.

-If you're so inclined, set your own custom EQ in the music options, or use Normal to conserve juice.

-Also, if you're a drag-n-dropper like myself, your first stop on the Sansa should be to the USB mode menu to change the device type to MTP  Tongue

I think the Sansa e200 series is a fine set of mp3 players, with a few shortcomings that can be fixed in future firmware updates. The hardware is solid, the construction is top-notch, and the tactile click wheel is accurate if not a bit tiring to use. Battery life is commendable, I average around 18-20 hours for music, and 4 for videos. A very charming and attractive player that comes recommended by me if you're not turned off by somewhat poor video controls, and a could-be-better music interface.

Wow, a little wordier than I expected.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:06:31 PM by mwells » Logged
Roschili
zune dog

Roschili
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 01:54:56 PM »

i had a sansa e280R for about a week.  then, it something got messed up internally, and it wouldn't boot, but it would get super hot whenever the battery was in it.  returned it and got a zune.  i have a friend that still has an e280 and she loves it.  the biggest complaint i had (other than the fact it bricked) was that the scroll wheel seemed flimsy.  other than that it was great!  so if u don't have the money for a zune or whatever, get a sansa e280.

ppl in real life i know with a zune = 6
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Sansa Media Player Board « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans