Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 02:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thumbs up on the 1.2 upgrade  (Read 5316 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Thumbs up on the 1.2 upgrade
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:54:49 PM »

From the Zunerama blog:

So far, feedback in our forums has been mostly positive about the Zune firmware and software upgrade that Microsoft released on Monday.

While there have been a few who are struggling with unexpected results, the upgrade has gone smoothly for most. And, many have reported noticeable performance improvements - faster scrolling, quicker transition between pictures in slideshow mode.

According to Darius at Zunethoughts, the upgrade also improved the display of album art on your player.

While the Zune screen is capable of a crisp 320x240 resolution display, the album art that appears when you're playing music is noticeably grainy. That's because Zune software was converting high-resolution album art to a very low 200x200 resolution - presumably for file size efficiencies - and then resizing the image for 240x240 display on your screen.

With the firmware upgrade, Zune does a better job preserving the resolution of the album art. The album art is no longer subjected to the 200x200 conversion step, so the resulting 240x240 displayed image is sharper.

You'll see this effect as you download (or rip from CD) new music. To see the effect on your existing files, you can delete songs or albums from the player, and re-sync to your PC.

I haven't tried this yet but am going to give it a shot in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:58:41 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

biglo
lil zuner

View Profile
Re: Thumbs up on the 1.2 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »

i dont see an option that lets me delete music from my zune.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 08:45:37 AM »

That option isn't available - it has to be done from the PC.  Sad

Seems like an obvious feature for Zune to have - in fact it's on our <Zune wishlist>.

biglo
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »

oh ok i thought u say they added it.
Doppleganger 68
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »

This may be a stupid question but is the software upgrade for the software for the P.C. or for the software in the zune?  It sounds like the upgrade is for the computer which in turn results in better performance on the zune.  Is this true?
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:52:49 AM »

This week Microsoft released both a firmware upgrade for the Zune player, and a software upgrade for the Zune software on your PC.

Both of them seem to be performance and stability enhancements.

Doppleganger 68
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:15:23 PM »

Thanks, that helps alot.  I'm getting a zune for Christmas.  Is it better to upgrade my firmware on the zune first before I start downloading media or is that even an issue?
KushInatoR
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:39 PM »

Its not even an issue. Just update your Zune Software before anything else... Firmware will still update with no problems after having your media synched
jmmhooper
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »

Does the firmware update come from the Zune software on PC to Zune or from the internet to Zune?
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »

Quote from: jmmhooper on December 21, 2006, 03:28:19 PM
Does the firmware update come from the Zune software on PC to Zune or from the internet to Zune?

It seems to come through the Zune software. The software detects the version of the Zune player firmware, and checks for updates via the Internet.

jmmhooper
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 03:37:13 PM »

Reason why I ask is I have been using the Zune software on the PC for quite sometime and I don't have a Zune YET and when new firm ware version was announced the Zune software had a large update applied to it.

Thanks for replying
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 04:27:41 PM »

I see. Yes, you'll have up-to-date Zune software, and your Zune'll get its firmware updated when it is first synced.

BTW I think it's really smart to get the Zune software installed first - and get through your media conversion, playlists set up, etc. Then you can jump right in and play with your Zune when it arrives.

One other thing I'd recommend - - to make your first sync a LOT faster - take whatever video you have on your PC (in My Videos), and convert it to Zune-compatible format (e.g. with M2Convert, TMPGenc, or similar tools).

Then, when you first sync, all it will be doing is transferring files to your player - and not converting any massive video files.

Soundtweaker
zune commando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:59:58 PM »

What happened to the Video Description bug fix?

www.suboculis.com
Doppleganger 68
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 08:51:25 PM »

Thanks Ed.  I did all of those things so I guess I'm set.  You're nice to reply to us.  Thanks.
jmmhooper
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »

[quote
One other thing I'd recommend - - to make your first sync a LOT faster - take whatever video you have on your PC (in My Videos), and convert it to Zune-compatible format (e.g. with M2Convert, TMPGenc, or similar tools).

Then, when you first sync, all it will be doing is transferring files to your player - and not converting any massive video files.

[/quote]

When you say say Zune-compatible, do you mean only .wmv or .wmv and .mp4?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List