Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2009, 04:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A cucusoft question  (Read 2642 times)
tbird
zune rockstar

Just your average Zune 120 user!

View Profile
A cucusoft question
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »

I have been using the cucusoft software for about two years now with no problems. I had a 30, now a 120 and it seems like now it takes forever for the converted video to download into my Zune. I don't seem to remember it taking this long when I was using the 30. So my question is do I need to change settings either in the cucusoft soft ware or in the Zune software? I might add I have not updated the cucusoft soft ware, should I?

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Re: A cucusoft question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »

Someone else reported this, too - and it has been a while since I've converted a DVD. (I do have the current version of Cucusoft.) I'll run a test tonight and see how quickly my converted movies sync.

Sotakaseme
zune n00bie

View Profile
Cucusoft help
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »

Cucusoft, i'm having problems with it to i got the exeption in dig downloaded a codec and it worked. then i started ripping a movie and it just shut down
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »

tbird - took me a while to get to this. Tonight, I updated Cucusoft to the current version, and ripped a new DVD. It ripped fine, but when I connected my Zune 120, the video converted before syncing. It took about 30 minutes to convert before syncing to the player.

I used the default settings.

I'm going to contact Cucusoft and see what's up. Obviously, the ripped videos should not have to be converted before syncing to Zune.

tbird
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »

^^ Thanks. Let us know what you find out.

temper123
zune-ologist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »

Any word on this?  It is does the same for me, either converted dvds or avi's. i'm using the suite 7.12
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:37 AM »

I just sent a follow-up email to Cucusoft. Earlier versions of Cucusoft were Zune-compatible, but under any settings I'm aware of my videos are being transcoded before syncing to Zune.

I've asked for a timeframe where they will have this corrected. I expect they'll fix this with a free upgrade, but I don't have word back from them on it yet.

tbird
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »

I used the cucusoft software this weekend to move over two movies to my Zune. For what ever reason it now seems to take a very long time for the movie to even copy, it looks like its doing it in real time, but its not. Maybe my settings, aren't right in the software, what should it be set at? I am running XP and am pretty sure I have the current version of cucusoft.
But that aside I copied one movie on Saturday and the other on Sunday and did not move either over to my Zune until Sunday night. The first movie took a long long time to transfer to my Zune the second was like bam, its in. So now I am confused. Back when I had my 30 I had no long waits, but now with my 120 to copy a movie and then put it on my Zune is like an all day thing. I am going to try another move to see if it moves over as fast as the second one did, but first I have to find the time.
Don't take this wrong as I think when its finally done the software does a very good job. The video is great and no sound problems at all, but man it sure has started to take a long time to get from point A to point B.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:38:13 PM by tbird » Logged

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:11:05 AM »

That is curious, tbird.

I got this reply yesterday from Cucusoft:

Dear user,
We have tested the product and has successfully converted a movies compatible with zune.
 We recommend that you go to http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm to download and install the full codec package and  try again.

Thank you for contacting Cucusoft.

If you have any other questions, please contact us again. When replying, please be sure to include this and any other pertinent correspondence in your message.

I'm skeptical, as I don't think this is a codec problem. My DVD conversions are working fine - - it's just that the created video is being transcoded prior to being copied to my Zune. But I'm going to try those codecs just to be sure.

beckysma
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »

Is there any solution to this problem yet?  I've had (and loved) my Zune 30 for years, and finally upgraded to the 120.  Ripped open my box from Amazon, ran to the computer, and 5 hours later my movies are still nowhere near done.  I'm going to have to let it run all night to get them.  Used to take only a few minutes on the 30!!

Googled the problem, that's how I landed here.  Grin
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »

Hi Becky,
  Yes, the Cucusoft software seems to be creating Zune-compatible movies for the 30 but not for the newer Zunes. So they converted files are transcoding upon sync... which takes a long time. I don't have a satisfactory resolution for this yet from Cucusoft...

beckysma
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

I solved my problem by changing the profile from "Windows Media 8" to "Zune Video MPEG-4"

I did a bunch of test on the different profiles, which ones synced the fastest and slowest, etc.  I can elaborate if anyone cares.  But after all my un-scientific tests, I've decided Zune Video MPEG-4 is the best setting for the Zune 120.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »

Please do elaborate! I'm going to try the settings that you tried. Thanks!

Here are our Zunerama links for downloading Cucusoft:

• Download Cucusoft free trial
  • Purchase and download full package

If you've downloaded it earlier, you can upgrade to the latest version for free.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:45:30 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

tbird
zune rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »

Quote from: beckysma on May 17, 2009, 02:18:32 PM
I solved my problem by changing the profile from "Windows Media 8" to "Zune Video MPEG-4"

I did a bunch of test on the different profiles, which ones synced the fastest and slowest, etc.  I can elaborate if anyone cares.  But after all my un-scientific tests, I've decided Zune Video MPEG-4 is the best setting for the Zune 120.
Thanks for the info. I will try that setting. I agree with Harv though please do elaborate!

beckysma
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »

OK, well it's been a few days, so I have to decypher my notes.  There are 11 profiles.  Two are audio only.  For the other 9, I ran the first four minutes of a Deadliest Catch DVD.  Stopping them exactly at 4:00.  After having the 9 video clips of the same 4 minutes of film, I synced each one individually with a stopwatch.  Only 3 synced without conversion.  They were H.264 Movie, Zune Video mpeg-4 and WM9 (I had been using WM8 previously)

So out of those 3 fast-syncing choices, I went back and recorded the same 4 minutes again in those modes, this time paying attention to how long it took Cucusoft to convert them.

H.264 took 7 minutes 51 seconds to convert the 4 minute clip (unacceptable)
mpeg-4 took 2:41 (yay)
WM9 took 8:14 (unacceptable)

Leaving mpeg-4 as the only acceptable choice.

However, I did notice the quality of H.264 was REALLY good.  If I had a movie that I really loved, I might choose to run it in that mode, leaving it to run overnight or something.

But for everyday use "Zune Video MPEG-4" was the winner of my unscientific tests.

Oh yes, of the modes that had to convert in the Zune software before syncing, the conversions took between 1:55 and 2:54 to convert the 4 minute clip before syncing.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List