Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 09, 2012, 04:02:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune pre-launch party  (Read 10818 times)
rerush
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
Re: Zune pre-launch party
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »

I MUST know this.

I have a lot of random music like remixes, choir concerts, etc. so I spend a lot of time editing meta-data and album art (especially because a lot of my cd back-ups didn't burn the metadata) via Windows Media Player 11 so that everything is correct or to my liking. Windows Media Meta Services doesn't exactly have the stuff I'm looking for most of the time.

Also, I don't want to buy an Ipod for one specific reason, they finally added download-able album art and yet I have to have a credit card to sync my collection with the art. I'm old enough to have a credit card now, but my parents won't let me have one or use theirs. I don't want to throw away hundreds of hours of work only to put in hundreds of hours of more work.

I've heard the Zune will not only use it's own software, but also WMP11. Is this true? And will the Zune get album artwork from WMP11? (the meta-data should be fine... so no worries.)

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 09:26:42 PM »

Let me rephrase to check if I understand your question properly.

1. You have a lot of music ripped from CDs.

2. The question is, will Zune software on your PC be smart up enough to pick up the album art (either from existing metadata or from automatically finding the matching album art from its online database), so that the album art will sync over to your Zune player.

Is that correct so far? I know I may be over-simplifying.

3. According to last week's CNET review, the Zune works within its own software and store, which are not connected to Windows Media Player at all (in fact, you don't even need WMP to sync and manage your Zune).

That doesn't sound like good news for you, if you've set up WMP11 with your metadata. I don't know for certain, though, the answer as to whether Zune software will look for album art that may exist in your WMP11, and carry those associations over to your Zune. I would be somewhat surprised if it did, just because I have not heard that that's the case.

julius12
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 09:41:24 PM »

Quote from: Sentient on October 15, 2006, 09:34:30 PM
Will the Zune have a setting to change the horizontal mode to a left handed configuration, instead of having the controls on the right as in every picture/video out there?

I think this question is answered, from the enGadget video review). It does not have a left-hand configuration.

I hope they consider making that change through a firmware upgrade. It would make it much more comfortable for lefties. To disenfranchise that group, well that would just be, um, gauche. Even sinister.
Sentient
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »

Quote from: julius12 on November 05, 2006, 09:41:24 PM
Will the Zune have a setting to change the horizontal mode to a left handed configuration, instead of having the controls on the right as in every picture/video out there?

I think this question is answered, from the enGadget video review). It does not have a left-hand configuration.

I hope they consider making that change through a firmware upgrade. It would make it much more comfortable for lefties. To disenfranchise that group, well that would just be, um, gauche. Even sinister.

Yeah, I saw that. It irritates me pretty badly. I can honestly see myself dropping a Zune trying to use it with my right hand (plus watching videos that way feels unbalanced to me). I'll try it out in a store just to make sure, but combined with the lack of podcasting support (at release anyway), I might just wait for MacWorld to see if all those juicy iPod rumors are true.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 12:21:35 AM »

Quote from: Sentient on November 05, 2006, 11:18:28 PM
Yeah, I saw that. It irritates me pretty badly. I can honestly see myself dropping a Zune trying to use it with my right hand (plus watching videos that way feels unbalanced to me). I'll try it out in a store just to make sure, but combined with the lack of podcasting support (at release anyway), I might just wait for MacWorld to see if all those juicy iPod rumors are true.

Hooo, I'd hate to lose a Zuner unnecessarily.

I'm a righty, but I have a lefty brother and lefty sister, so am sympathetic to the plight of southpaws that are forced to living in a world designed for righties.

The problem shows up when the Zune is in horizontal mode - - i.e. it's not a problem in vertical mode where the scrollwheel is centered below the screen. Hopefully when you're in horizontal mode - e.g. for watching video's or pictures - you're not having to use the scrollwheel much.

But it would be a little awkward for lefties when wanting to fast-forward, skip-30-seconds, or even adjust the volume when in video mode, or control the slideshow in picture model.

The amazing thing is, the hardware looks like it could handle it without a single change. It could all be provided through a software change.

So maybe there's hope.

olion597
zune commando

plamotte@chartermi.net olion597
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 05:37:20 AM »

Quote from: Sentient on November 05, 2006, 11:18:28 PM
Quote from: julius12 on November 05, 2006, 09:41:24 PM

I'm sure that it could be changed easily through a firmware upgrade.  All that would be needed is to invert controls, and add a new option in the settings menu, being like in display "horizontal mode: Right hand/Left hand.  I'm sure there will be quite a few people complaining to Microsoft about it, and hackers could probably do the job as well.
admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 02:11:42 PM »

Quote from: Albus on November 05, 2006, 08:38:25 AM
When is the Zune party that Zunerama's going to?

It is THIS THURSDAY..!! So any questions I get up 'til that point, I will bring with me!! And hopefully pinksage will get a few answered today as well. Unless Cesar keeps steering her back to Xbox topics!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List