Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 28, 2012, 07:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard Case vs. Silicone vs. Leather For 80GB Zune  (Read 7608 times)
Walks
lil zuner

View Profile
Hard Case vs. Silicone vs. Leather For 80GB Zune
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »

Any recommendations on a case for an 80 gig Zune? Prefer one that is resistant to bouncin around in my car, and one that can tolerate bein bounced around in my pocket while skiing!
Also big on protecting the screen from any scratching etc.!!
Gaitin
lil zuner

View Profile
Re: Hard Case vs. Silicone vs. Leather For 80GB Zune
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »

I purchased a clear, hard plastic case for my 80 (from ZuneOne.net).  It covers the screen which is great when my Zune finds itself lost in the depths of a dark, scary purse or roughing it whilst camping, or just hanging out in my pocket while I listen to tunes and clean stalls. Smiley  I've been really happy with this case so far.  There are different colors you can order other than clear.
JETninja
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »

I picked up the Inicipo Leather Fold case in Light Carmel color (looks great with my Red 80) and am very impressed with it. Very nice Leather, tight stiching, magnetic clasp it protects the entire player when closed and allows full access to ports.

Only thing I did not like is common with 99% of the cases, a plastic cover for over the screen. Brand new it did not look nearly as nice as the Zune's "Glass" screen...so I cut it out. I'm much happier now, and since when the case is closed the screen is protected, all is good...when I'm watching it nothing to get in the way of the visual experiance.
Walks
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies you 2. With the plastic case, is the USB port as well as the headphones port accessable??
Gaitin
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »

Yes, with the plastic case, all ports are accessible.  My Zune was dropped the other day when it slipped out of purse and hit the driveway - thank goodness it was in the case!  And the case came out in great shape, too! Smiley
Walks
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

Thanks Gaitin, I will definitely look into it!
typoink
zune rockstar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

I really like the official first-party case, with the exception that you have to take the Zune out of the case to charge or sync.  Otherwise, I think it's a great combination of style and protection.
schuttziejr
zune-ologist

DREAM JOB : work for MS creating hardware for Zune

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »

My sis has a 30gb and she has to save up to buy a case, so right now it is in a zip lock baggie. It is funnier than hell! She spilled pop on the player yesterday, but it was in the bag and it just ran off, it was hilarious.

ZUNE 80GB--->  Will die tryin to fill the thing ^^
Chitown26
zune dog

Jmobie
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »

Just today, I received two more Case-mate Zune cases in the mail.  First, I bought a Mocha brown case from Case-mate.com for my old brownie.  My dad has an old black Zune 30, and I bought him the same case as mine, but in red.  Highly recommend these for Zune 30 owners, only $4. 

My main point is that Case-mate is selling their Zune 80/120 cases right now for $10. You can have them laser-engraved, and their thick plastic screen guards are very nice, as they do not have the Case-mate Logo in the corner, unlike the ones included with the Zune 30 cases.  My mom bought the Zune 120 in October, and I bought for her, as a Christmas gift, this nice leather (fake?? maybe, but smooth either way) black case with her name engraved on the back.

The only thing is that for both versions of the case, the 30 and 80/120, the buttons and pads are exposed. This is good of course when you're using the Zune, but they're not protected.  The screens are only protected by a screen guard, so a portfolio-like flap might offer a bit more protection.

So, three in the family, all of us have Zunes- two oldies and one newbie- and we all have Case-mate cases. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:06:24 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

scorey00
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:19:34 AM »

i had a cheap hard plastic case for a while - it was good for protection, but the glare always had me taking it out to watch anything.

now i have the DLO leather case for Zune (won it here - thanks again ) this is as close to perfect as i can get.

steve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:06:44 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

QuacksterVu
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

I'm just using a Belkin Zune leather case, which has allowed my Zune 80 to survive my gym workouts and treks to lecture.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:05:16 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Zune 80GB - Zune 120GB owner

hello awesomeness
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

As a 80 gig Zune owner, I been able to keep my Zune (sans-Case) perfectly fine. But I was researching Zune cases, and I can help you with this

Hard shell, plastic cases are by far the cheapest. They offer basic scratch and drop protection. But they are many more cons to pros.
Plastic cases tend to scratch very easily, especially if they a made from cheap material. And it always produces a horrible glare that can be unbearable to Zune-ers using the Zune mainly for video. And Plastic provided little shock protection, so even it it drops like 5 feet, the shock wave from the drop could still damage your Zune.

Silicone is also cheap, but provides a lot of protection. Especially so is the Speck tough skin cases, THE case for Zune protection. But Silicone cases tend to not have any screen protection, and even if they do, they wear of pretty easily. Also, the Silicone is dust prone.

Leather cases are the most expensive of the 3, and offers the best protection. It has shock protection from the thick leather covering the Zunes, and they can double as a fashion statement. But, these are bulky and may sometimes not hold the Zune very well

And the last one, a case I have found, is the iTank cases. These are ridiculously strong, and will offer you the MOST PROTECTION. But it costs  $75.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:04:58 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Did you know that CFL bulbs are made in china, but incandescent is from Kentucky?

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

Quote from: schuttziejr on November 10, 2008, 05:35:53 PM
My sis has a 30gb and she has to save up to buy a case, so right now it is in a zip lock baggie. It is funnier than hell! She spilled pop on the player yesterday, but it was in the bag and it just ran off, it was hilarious.

I like that ingenuity. Maybe I should sell some Zunerama-branded sandwich bags for the flash players.  Smiley

JSP62
zune commando

jspark62 jplicks79
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

I've had my eye on a Incipio aluminum case.

http://gotzune.com/2008/08/review-incipio-metal-slider-cases-for-zune-48-and-80

It was originally $30, but I see it for $20 now. =)

Wondering if anyone has one of these and can put in their opinion.  I'll be sure to search after this post for further consumer info on this.

Thanks

PS - I see the con section shows the screen cover can scratch.  Perhaps I'll have to find a screen protector to protect my screen protector. . .

MMP / DAPs:
Zune30, 80 ; Sansa e280, e250 ; Sony VGFAP1L, MZ-NF610, (2) MZ-R37, MZ-R70, WM-FX33 ; iPod Nano [SOLD!]
HOW A QUESTION THE RIGHT WAY
POSTING AND YOU
maryparker
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »

yo I would recommend you the case of

http://goo.gl/32XIM

the company provide really good quality
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List