Zunerama logo   
News: Find Zune accessories

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 26, 2013, 09:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Wishlists for Zune  (Read 52372 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
Our Wishlists for Zune
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:16:55 AM »

Folks, this is real. Based in informal conversations I've had, Microsoft is interested in our ideas on what they should incorporate into:

a) firmware updates for the current Zune 30GB player

b) updates/enhancements to Zune software on your PC

c) updates to Marketplace

d) hardware updates for the next models of Zune players

e) accessories ideas/wishes

Back on Sep 1, we started collecting your ideas for Zune II, followed by our blog about 20 Wishes for Zune II.

Now that we have hands-on experience with our Zune players, let's refresh our ideas in this thread. I'll be pulling from this thread and creating a page on the Zunerama site that summarizes our wishlist.

Edit: Still adding your updates, here's the table so far. I took a shot at assigning priorities to these - and welcome your feedback.

Thanks to Zunerama member lenny for kicking off this thread.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:29:54 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Hyperzune
zune-ologist

View Profile
Re: Official Wishlists for Zune
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 01:45:37 AM »

Of course I have a whole bunch of wish for Zune, but only this two that I'll say for now.

1. Avi with Xvid/DivX support.  Zune suppoes to do great with video.  Also, resizing should be done on the fly on the device, not by software.  Zune's cpu is powerful enough to do that.

2. SDK for third patry, especially for writing a CODEC.  This will end my No.1 and a whole list of request for Zune.  Like I said in my introduction,  Microsoft strongest point is not their software quality, but their SDK quality.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:41:51 AM by Hyperzune » Logged
Kuji
zune trooper

I <3 my Zune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 03:35:16 AM »

I would like to see:

1) Divx support
2) Sleep function

And thats all I can really think of atm
yellowdragon
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »

How about:

1. The ability to delete songs from the player
2. A clock
3. Syncronize with Outlook appointments/tasks
4. Native Divx/Xvid
5. Broadcast whatever you're playing via WiFi, like the S30

For later revisions

1. TV Tuner
2. Soft buttons (or buttons that do not click)
3. Backlighted logo in front (small)
4. Backlighted buttons
5. Jog wheel

Hyperzune
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 06:12:57 AM »

Quote from: yellowdragon on November 26, 2006, 05:50:08 AM
3. Syncronize with Outlook appointments/tasks

Another vote for this.  Well, actually if Microsoft actually release a PocketPC with harddrive or Zune with Windows Mobile 6.0, my dream will come true.  Tongue
Hyperzune
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 06:20:54 AM »

Oh, I have something to say about Zune software, eventhough it not likely to be interested by MS.

There is a way to use DirectShow to feed the "uncompressed" video on-the-fly to the encoding application, like what Avisynth is doing.  I don't know what they call it.  But DirectShow is their own technology, so I think they will know what I talk about.  This way, relatively every file that user can play with Windows Media Player will be able to convert.  This will also end the whole wish list of support format for Zune software, since once they can play that file on their machine, Zune Software will be able to convert it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:24:47 AM by Hyperzune » Logged
Nardes
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:03 AM »

1. CLOCK!!!!!!!!!
2. Sleep Timer
3. Ability to Delete Songs from Device
4. Backlight on Wheel and Buttons
5. The Zune won't turn on when you put your headphones in (I despise that!!!!!)

Soundtweaker
zune commando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 09:24:54 AM »

1. a speaker    so you can annoy people in restaurants by playing Buckethead.

www.suboculis.com
BROWNzune
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »

ALL I WISH FOR IS UNICODE SUPPORT!!! i'm pretty much happy with the current features so far Smiley
olion597
zune commando

plamotte@chartermi.net olion597
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »

My top wanted features are:

1. More codec support like XviD/DivX
2. Ability to delete stuff on the Zune itself
3. More WiFi features, let them be creative. (web browser, wireless sync, wireless DJ, etc)
4. Games, like solitaire/tetris, and the ability to put games on it (perhaps they could be in Flash).
5. Hard Drive capability.  The hack is nice, but the teachers at school probably won't like me editing the registry info on the school computers.
chet
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »

I don't know how to convert music and videos to zune format, and I wish zune would make this easier for people like myself.  Also, I want an easier, user friendly sofware.   
Hyperzune
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 02:58:26 PM »

Quote from: BROWNzune on November 26, 2006, 10:06:29 AM
ALL I WISH FOR IS UNICODE SUPPORT!!! i'm pretty much happy with the current features so far Smiley

How can I forget that...  You got my vote Wink
ryango119
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »

here are just a couple that either havent been said or I would like to re-iterate
    - video downloads in the marketplace software. ( please ...the screen is too nice and its so lame to have to go     
       through all the steps we have to go through to get movies on the unit)
     - wireless sync...wireless sync....wireless sync
     - the ability to shut off zune while its plugged into the pc...( i know it eventually powers down but  I would like to
        shut it off)
     - bigger hard drive
     - drag and drop file transfer
     - fm transmitter built in

these are all wish list items....I am happy with the zune as it is....but it would be and can be better....VIDEO SUPPORT AND WIRELESS SYNC PLEASE!!!!
ZuneGod
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 05:57:44 PM »

Here is my wish list -

Zune Software
1) Zune software gadgets / games -- like calendar/reminders , clock , live/outlook contacts , notes , stopwatch,  
2) solo/wifi games i.e 2 zune players should be able to play . .. Chess ,sudoku ..etc
3) Zune as harddrive
4) should be able to browse thro pictures while listening to radio.
    (currently we can do only with music ... not radio)
5) should be a way to directly go to the top level menu .. from any where with a single click.
     suggestions .. say by using combination of buttons.
6) ofcourse , every ones favourite ... wifi pc syncing .
7) Mac compatability ..
Cool Is there any way , MSNDirect can be used  byMS to send whether reports to Zune.  i mean Zune as SPOT device. like MSNCoffee maker , MSN Smart watches ... more info here http://www.msndirect.com/default.htm

9) Photos , should have an option, to retain its original resolution. i know , it occupies lots of space. but , some pictures are memorable , and they should look at its best.
10) as i have already suggested way back in septemer '06 , rewards for songs purchased through squirting (song sharing) http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=278.0    
11) i join with the whole zune world for more support for codecs.
12) quarterly software updates. so that zune buyers can eagerly wait each quarter , they have something new to their zunes.

Zune Kiosks. - badly implemented
Before the Zune release , When i came to know about the Zune on display , i visited a near by target to get a glimpse of it . though i could play it with out holding it . i couldn't feel any thing . i was disappointed and was almost giving up buying Zune , as i felt its not impressive.  Its costco who sold the zune to me . Zune was looking good when i saw it in their show case , where they got some lights behind the showcase , the black Zune on display was just glowing with blue tint ,. when i asked a friendly rep there .. i just wanted to feel it. he just gave it to me . when i asked i wanted to feel the white one which is not in display he just opened a brand new white zune from the box and just gave , even though i might not buy the white one. i finally bought the black one. they didnt have the brown one.

Zune Kiosks are not appealing at all . they are the selling points for Microsoft. and they don't give a feel of the Zune correctly .  when a person visits the kiosk , he cannot hold the Zune , he just cannot feel other than clicking the buttons. and the real beauty of zune is when the light falls on it from the back where we can see the glowing borders , that is also not taken care properly as there were no lights underneath and zunes all siders are covered by its holder . and the kiosks should have the best quality speakers available and connected. they bring the real audio quality out of Zune and gives the best experience for the wannabe zuners. i belive MS should standardize the speakers it puts on kiosks.
Zune is looking good in shops  where its not put on Zune kiosks  i.e in costco , bestbuy ..

Zune kiosks design is a big short coming  from Microsoft. Zune kiosks should be the best sales persons. i hope they consider these experiences

Zune harware
1) with this thickness of Zune , MS can easily integrate one speaker on Zune.
2) or give me a slim Zune.
3) flash based players with wifi
4) currenly most of the shops , which have Zunes , doesnot have most of the accessories , which are showcased on Zune market place .  i believe , partners are not doing great .
I wanted to buy a DLO's executive , leather soft case , for Black Z ,  i had to shop hopping for 4 to 5 stores. thats bad.
i also suggest , those leather cases by DLO , should come with blue boder instead of the brown border . just to look like my Black http://www.zune.net/en-us/accessories/dlo/deluxeleather.htm
5) Future : Zune with Camera/gps or Zune with camera/phone or all of em together
6) Like the iPod engraving , Zunes should also be able to personalized . it would be  great , if we could put letters and pictures on the back of the zune. where can i do that ...?  

gotta go .. thats it for now .
lostsubs
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
Re: Our Wishlists for Zune
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:00:29 AM »

For firmware updates,

1. Definitely gotta to be gapless playback. Apple and Samsung players have them, why Zune shouldnt have?

2. Able to delete songs or other media directly from the device.

3. Better battery life, 14 hrs for audio is too little for music lovers, don't u agree?

4. Better resolution album art, i don't know how they gonna do this but when the album art stretches to become the background, it sure looks low resolution and ugly. Especially obvious and ugly when the screen is huge, simply just downgrades the interface feel and the screen and does not complement the good 3 inch screen.

5. Mac compatibility. I have a Macbook but i want a Zune? How? Microsoft definitely lost its share of customers in the Mac category. Not all Mac users are iPod users, note.

For hardware updates.

1. A slimmer Zune, i think this should be the first on the priority, you've see the player comparisons, Zune is always the thickest among most of the players!

2. A better resolution screen , you have the good huge 3 inch screen but the resolution is the same as iPod, what's the use?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:10:20 AM by lostsubs » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List