Zunerama logo

news | forums | accessories | help | giveaways | downloads | shop | about us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2007, 05:40:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Apple Ipod- Any and All Things Related « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apple Ipod- Any and All Things Related  (Read 1288 times)
nymbis
zune commando

View Profile Email
Apple Ipod- Any and All Things Related
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »

Welcome to the Apple Ipod Topic. Here, you can rant and rave about the newest Apple products. Please keep this topic strictly Apple related and we are all friends, so lets keep it polite and respectful. Thanks and Enjoy!
Palmer Deville
zune master

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
Re: Can you easily take music off the zune?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 04:36:10 AM »

This is in reply to Kobalt's thread in the General Discussions...

Kobalt,

Do you have "keep iTunes music folder organized" checked in preferences? If you do it automatically numbers the tracks for you, even in disk mode. Uncheck it and you may get rid of the numbering all together, but definitely in disk mode. As the other commenter mentioned, you will have a duplicate copy of the songs.  One in the iPod for playing and one in the mountable external drive portion. But you can do this with any file, not just songs. I have a lot of my CD-ripped songs backed up to my iPod's hard disk. Purchased music reverse-syncs automatically and doesn't need two copies.

Hard disk use is simple drag and drop. This video is on Mac but both should work the same. Here's a quick video of the iPod syncing purchased songs back to iTunes, then using the iPod in disk mode.  (Sorry for the small size, youtube down sizes  it.) Here's a 1920x1200 full size demo (13MB .mov) if you need it. I recommend right-clicking and saving so you can half-size it.

If you can't transfer files easy let me know. It's cake.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 05:45:26 AM by Palmerdeville » Logged

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Kobalt
zune n00bie

View Profile
Re: Apple Ipod- Any and All Things Related
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:56:01 PM »

Thx for the help, though now it's pretty moot since my ipod decided once again to delete all my music while I was installing itunes. Good thing I decided to burn all my mp3s even with the weird filenames months ago, still lost a gig worth of music though =/.

But yeah i'm never going to buy a apple product again, zune for me(white or black can't decide arg).
Palmer Deville
zune master

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:57:24 PM »

I know what you're talking about.  iPod/iTunes doesn't have a guest button like the Zune/Zune Software. An easier to understand concept that I wish Apple would implement. So when you sync an iPod that is connected to another iTunes Library you get:

Obviously hitting "Erase and Sync" will leave you with nothing on your iPod.

Worse, my wife and I have a few iPods. All the iPods were sync'd to my Mac after we sold our Dell and before we bought her Macbook. Then while on vacation I erased and sync'd my iPod to her Macbook. So both computers think they own the iPods. Now we can't use the transfer music feature because when an iPod has been previously sync'd to a computer and none of the old playlists exist because of a reinstall or because you and your wife have different playlists or whatever, you get:

Then bam! With no option to cancel, it syncs with the current playlists, which don't exist and your iPod is wiped clean. Apple really should fix this. A temporary work around is to turn off auto-syncing, a setting which is stored on the device. So you can try that until you get your Zune.

I've already read many complaints of the same thing with Zune. On the initial sync people have lost all their pre-loaded content and on subsequent syncs people have lost the entire contents and had to reload because the software didn't recognize the Zune. I think they have so many regulations put on them by the Music industry that they have to make sure the device can't be used to transfer music to unauthorized computers so if the software doesn't recognize the device, it's erased... I don't know.

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
AK Water
zune rockstar

iPod Owner, Zune Admirer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »

My friend brought his iPod to school and hooked it up to the eMac G4, and it wiped his entire iPod of all of its songs (1000s of songs) and put on all of the songs that where on the iTunes library on the eMac G4 in school (about 10 songs).  He thought he could transfer the songs from the iPod to the school computer's iTunes library.  He learned his lesson. 

If you told me in 2001 that Apple and Microsoft where gonna be number 1 and 2 in this market by 2007, I probably would have called you crazy. 
Vipralion
zune-ologist

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 12:10:54 AM »

WHAT?!?

Well... I'm glad I've never had that happen. I mean, come on! Deleting your content?
RageKage
zune trooper

Brown Zune Owner

kooladeguy@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »

Can I ask an ITunes question here?

I have none of my music in ITunes, it's an empty program.

Yet, it loads every day and freezes Firefox while doing it, opens up, and does nothing but sit there until I close it. No downloading of podcasts, nothing.

AK Water
zune rockstar

iPod Owner, Zune Admirer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 05:06:22 PM »

Go to Start > Run* > Type "MSCONFIG".  Go to "Startup" tab and uncheck iTunes.  It should no longer start up.  While your at it, uncheck any other programs you want to not start at Windows Startup.  Hit Apply.  Then Ok.  Next time you restart your computer those programs will not automatically load when Windows loads. 

*If Run isn't on your start menu (it's not by default in Windows Vista) then Windows Key + R brings up run too.

If you told me in 2001 that Apple and Microsoft where gonna be number 1 and 2 in this market by 2007, I probably would have called you crazy. 
RageKage
zune trooper

Brown Zune Owner

kooladeguy@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »

Did that, and all that's in there is iTunesHelper.

Hopefully that fixes it.

Jth
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:32:46 AM »

Perhaps this deserves a thread of it's own, but however - this could be false:

(taken from MacRumors website):

"6th Generation iPod Coming in August?

ThinkSecret reports that Apple is prepping an update to their full-size iPod that could arrive in the "first-half of August".

ThinkSecret believes that the iPod will not feature a touch-screen or a scaled down version of OS X until 2008. Instead, they believe that the new iPod is somewhat shorter than existing iPods but will maintain the current screen and click wheel. If true, this would correlate with a recent mockup posted to 9to5mac.
The saved space will shrink about an inch off the device and give it proportions that in some ways more resemble a BlackBerry.

They also confirm that the recently leaked iPod inteface videos will be used for the upcoming 6G iPod's interface. "

Pages: [1] Print 
Zunerama Forum  |  Not Zune-Related  |  Digital Media Player board (Moderator: nymbis)  |  Topic: Apple Ipod- Any and All Things Related « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List Zune-Sites.com - Microsoft Zune web sites Zune MAX Top Zune Fans